dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
This is a sub-selection from ... and now we have caps.
25139889 (banned)
join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned) to Josh

to Josh

Re: ... and now we have caps.

June 1st. Everyone has stated different things about when getting the notices. I'm wondering if the notices were sent out to those in the 1.5%. Cause i never got mine either.

bex_caps
@buckeyecom.net

bex_caps

Anon

I average about 20-30 GB/month, obviously not in the 1.5%, so it's not that. I will agree at least they tiered them. However, my parents for instance who are heavy Roku/Netflix users I will have to monitor to make sure they don't go over.

NWOhio2
@buckeyecom.net

NWOhio2

Anon

Ladynaye-

You are free to move to the Business side and have the caps removed. They are not capped.
NWOhio2

NWOhio2 to bex_caps

Anon

to bex_caps
Business Class service will remove the caps. You'll pay more but you get no caps.
Proclan
join:2006-11-24
Toledo, OH

Proclan to NWOhio2

to NWOhio2
There business site also states a cap on the packages

BEX_Slave
@buckeyecom.net

BEX_Slave

Anon

One rep a week ago told me ONLY Streaming Video would be counted, and E-Mail/Web surfing would not. She obviously didn't know what she was talking about.

I have been a 10 year customer, I called and they gave me the 26/1.5 with 350GB on new customer pricing. Lowered my bill by $15 and added 10mbps. But my monthly average is 500-1000GB. Still not enough GB.

I am looking at getting multiple 6mbps DSL lines, but as it seems, all Toledo DSL is just sourced to buckeye or ATT and both have even lower caps on DSL.

Is there any unlimited internet in Toledo? Should I just save up $10K and have cogent run me a dedicated line?

bex_caps
@buckeyecom.net

bex_caps to Proclan

Anon

to Proclan
What are the business caps, if any? I can't believe they are going to cap businesses. Perhaps I'll inquire to see if any of my customers have received anything with their bill.

If this is true, some of my (business) customers are going to positively sh** bricks, and we'll probably have to start banning Internet radio, youtube, set up central patch servers, etc.

Cheers.

PS: Now would be the time for Google or someone else with no caps and more speed to come into the area of NW Ohio, and eat Buckeye's (and all of the other incumbent capped carriers) lunch ....
25139889 (banned)
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned)

They don't have caps. You would not pay the same and have SLAs if they capped you.

Their site also does NOT state caps and reps will tell you they are cap free.

How can you charge someone $300+ a month for a service and cap it? It would be cheaper for said company to go purchase a leased FULLY dedicated line from an actual telco and be cap free.

and Bex_Caps they are free to. Nothing is stopping them- and NEVER has. Also if you didn't get the Memo- Google has all but basically given up on their FTTH project. and FYI- Overbuilding is pointless and the overbuilder always loses.

25139889 (banned) to bex_caps

to bex_caps
Also no carrier is going to come to TOL and build a wired network. It costs too much and there is NO ROI on it.

And Google is finding out how expensive it is. They've done but all given up on their FTTH dreams already.

Also you would find out more than 90% of the people will NOT give up their current provider. That is a HUGE reason VZ's FiOS network is NOT expanding and NEVER will at this point. And also that is why at&t is NOT building out new U-Verse areas. They can't get customers to switch.
Ladynaye
Premium Member
join:2007-10-16
USA

Ladynaye to NWOhio2

Premium Member

to NWOhio2
I would have to find out what the price is for business cable since I have the 60Mbps package. I did find info on their business tiers here:

»www.buckeye-telesystem.c ··· ess.html

It seems to be capped as well.

On the FIOS note, if they moved here, I would get them in a heartbeat. FTTP is about as good as it gets.
25139889 (banned)
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned)

FiOS is NOT moving here. You do realize the product is dead right? VZ is NOT selling it any more- and they do NOT do business in Ohio. It's FRONTIER.

When talking to BEX in Business they claim it is NOT capped. But it could be of making businesses order leased lines. Right now i'm the process of deploying my own network in Toledo. Fully wireless. Wanna know more- PM me.

Bex_caps
@buckeyecom.net

Bex_caps

Anon

I'm thinking a nice public works project to light up all that dark fiber and run fiber all over the place, right to my house. Let ISP's compete on price, and the network maintenance (physical plant) is shared between them all. That'll put all these unemployed people to work for years!

Slightly tongue in cheek, slightly serious.

There really is no competition - you've got ATT (or whatever ILEC), Buckeye, and perhaps a WISP (but they usually cannot compete on price) and of course satellite (yuck). Some areas has even worse choices ....

Cheers.

BEX_Slave
@buckeyecom.net

BEX_Slave

Anon

@ NW Ohio
Verizon FiOS has been defiantly stopped expanding a while back. But Bedford area has reports of FiOS signs coming sometime soon. Maybe its just frontier run? idk. It won't make it to Toledo so whats it matter; I don't think FTTP is dead though. It's just a bit before its needed time.

Unless you us posting here of-course.

WISP seem to never work out for some reason or another. Fiber and real connections have much more products to sell as well. But I'm sure Buckeye or AT&T (more recently) has bought up all the fiber in Toledo.

Zayo has a nice fiber ring and is expanding right now. If you are on-net. But I couldn't find any other dark fiber around here.

Of-course we are talking possibly $200+ monthly fee for a dedicated line; if not more. But I don't think anyone here has a problem "Paying Their Fair Share", just the fact the caps & prices from Buckeye are BS.
25139889 (banned)
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned) to Bex_caps

to Bex_caps
Will never happen. That dark fiber is NOT available for public use in your neighborhood. You'd have to go into where it is spliced at. And it's NOT in a neighborhood. And you do realize how much that would cost right?

NOBODY would be willing to foot that bill. To hook 1 customer up it would cost $3,000+ not including building out a NOC.

Also Springfield/Holland is TWC land.

BEX_Slave
@buckeyecom.net

BEX_Slave

Anon

Like I said, if you are on-net you probably could get a dedicated line for a reasonable price. Instillation price is the worst, yes. But if you don't plan to move for quite a while 10k investment in installation is not bad all things considered....

I not sure what you mean dark fiber is not for public use. Obviously its not free or public, but anyone could buy/lease/contract enough fiber to start a ISP. It's not just financially viable or a very good investment.

What do you mean Springfield/Holland is TWC land? Do you mean Buckeye-Express land?

Buckeye has been the only service available to my house. U-Verse started maybe 2 years ago? They only knocked on my door a tried to sell it to me it over 15 times.

Did I miss something? Is Time Warner owners of Block Communications? IDK all I want is unlimited internet. I don't really care the speed. Every DSL company in Toledo is really Buckeye or AT&T DSL outsourced.
25139889 (banned)
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned) to BEX_Slave

to BEX_Slave
Bedford will NOT get FiOS. you do realize that Frontier is NOT expanding their footprint either right? ATT is NOT either- and ATT does NOT have FiOS. They have U-Verse.

WISPs work only when the network is built correctly. But they're rural focused. NOT City focused. Unless you know how to do it. Which I used to own a WISP in Fremont, and have very extensive knowledge on how to make them operate.

Zayo used to be KMC Telco. And they're NOT the only provider of dark fiber in Toledo. L3 is here. So is Cogent. Buckeye and ATT has enough fiber they do not need to buy anyone else. ATT is always putting in more and Buckeye uses their fiber internally only.

Zayo also will just not splice and run a line to you. You actually have to be near them and they cater mostly to cell phone companies and UT. Fiber is starts at $1,000 PER foot NOT counting the internet loop cost.

But why only take this out on Buckeye? ATT has caps as well. The fact is some people do use more than others. It's been proven to that fact and those that don't will pay more by the capping system. Buckeye should have just started moving those higher usage customers over to business class. But they in turn even ruined that.

Register on here and PM me its free and we can discuss this more that way.

to BEX_Slave
install is about 10k for any fiber line as well. getting metro Ethernet would be cheaper- Toast.net used to do that to commercial buildings. Run Fiber to them and then sell it over Ethernet. Not sure if they still do as nothing is on their website about it.

And I mean- as in Dark Fiber has nothing on it. you just can't go and buy it and it work. Thus- not for regular public use. And by leasing dark fiber still will NOT get you anything- no access to the Internet on it. Investing in fiber actually is a good investment if you can get people to lease or buy strands on it. That is how L3 go to be what it is.

And no I mean it is TWC Land. It starts on McCord you can sign up with TWC and it was TWC land to start off with a LONG time ago under Adelphia- Buckeye later expanded to that area.

And no TWC is does not own Block. TWC owns TWC. And DSL is not serviced by Buckeye- and you can not get a 3rd party ISP to sell you cable.

And all DSL providers will resell ATT as they own the copper and always will. And actually soon- the copper will go away and it will be replaced with VARDs to kill off the Indie ISPs that resell the DSL.

to BEX_Slave
Also with Bedford it could be Frontier putting in FTTN (basically U-Verse) as they are trying this as well.

BEX_Slave
@buckeyecom.net

BEX_Slave to 25139889

Anon

to 25139889
You that kyle person?

Anyway, don't know where you get you're information but TWC, has never been available in holland. I live on the east side of McCord right between Mccord and the US-23. My family has lived from before I was born.

TWC has never been available in Holland or to any people I know in this area. This has been buckeye's favorite monopoly area until 2 years ago when U-Verse started.

In the past 10 years, I have tried to leave Buckeye multiple times.

The closest TWC service area I could find is Oregon. I tried multiple Toledo Address in downtown. All west of the river. Maybe on the east side of Toledo you can get TWC. But you are totally incorrect about 'TWC land'
25139889 (banned)
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned)

TWC is available. I have friends that live on McCord and they have a choice of TWC and Buckeye. Also there are always TWC trucks in that area working. TWC also used to have an office at the former school / common space building on Hill / Holland Sylv.

And what Kyle person?

And no I am not incorrect about it being TWC land. It was Adelphia land. It maybe select streets and areas but TWC does service that area. Also TWC NEVER serviced addresses IN the city. It's all outside of the City. And the service is mainly in Wood county.

And you need to actually talk to somene at TWC to find out the information. Regular reps don't know shit.

to BEX_Slave
Read this:

»www.com.ohio.gov/admn/do ··· reas.pdf

that tells you were TWC Ohio has service:

LUCAS
Jerusalem Township
Monclova Township
Oregon
Providence Township
Springfield Township
Swanton Township
Swanton Village
Waterville Township
Waterville Village
Whitehouse Village

Now tell me they don't service that area.

BEX_Slave
@buckeyecom.net

BEX_Slave

Anon

Well I am in the housing area between Hill & Angola on McCord.
They told me they do not service the Holland area.

I called them the day I got the buckeye letter, and on the 28th when I upgraded my BEX package and signed a year contract.

They stated both times TWC was unavailable in my area and had no future plans to service this area. I asked.

Tell my why TWC would not want a another paying customer?

I shall call again tonight.
If they really do service 'SpringField Township', it doesn't include the east side of mccord. I have a Holland address and I pay Springfield taxes.

What do you mean talk to someone at TWC?? You mean going to the web page and calling the new customer line and trying to buy service is not enough? What more do I do?

Tell the rep she is a idiot and I want someone else to type my address on their computer?
BEX_Slave

BEX_Slave to 25139889

Anon

to 25139889
I am not 100% sure, but that PDF appears to be just TWC's licensed areas.

Does not necessarily mean they service the area. They just have the Government 'Approval' (as the PDF title and header state?) to build there.

Ether way, I have never heard of TWC from my neighbors or even gotten spam mail or any type of offers; or anything that would suggest they are in this area. Ever, in 10 years of living here.
25139889 (banned)
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned)

You need to talk to the Construction department. Also find a service van on the street. New Customer Line and Online is worthless and generally outsourced to another company. My friend that has both options lives on the side where Fox apartments is on.

And that PDF is not just licensed- those are SERVICED areas in terms of TWC. When the state went from Local regulation the cable cos started moving their contracts to the state.

Yesterday I seen another TWC truck out that way- and a few days before i seen on at Sam's Club. So they do service the area. More and more I see them on Dorr street but always looks like they're eating.

Have you tried talking to the TWP?

to BEX_Slave
I'll post service areas of TWC in Toledo this evening.

to BEX_Slave
twc.zip
591,103 bytes
By putting ALL of the zipcodes in TWC's website for Toledo and suburbs I was able to locate areas that are serviced by TWC-

The images attached will give you the zipcode areas that are serviced.
This is a sub-selection from ... and now we have caps.