uniqs
share rss forum feed

Maccawolf
Premium
join:2001-02-20
Hillsdale, NJ

1 edit

SK- w2ml

I don't really know why I'm posting here, but I know there are a couple of people on here who knew him.

Steve, w2ml passed away this morning.

He was very big in the NY/NJ ham radio scene. He coordinated lots of public service events too.

EDIT-, OOPS
--
Mom and Crockett... I miss you both!

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2

1 recommendation

Yep, Steve was a huge advocate for the hobby, and his professional career is amazing too - Navy veteran, broadcast engineer (audio) for both radio and TV, NFL frequency coordinator. He famously helped uncover the Patriots' cheating scandal.

On his death bed, I believe every member of the Jets came and visited him, or at least most of them did.

Cancer is truly a horrible disease. Takes away too many good people from the world.

n2jtx

join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

1 recommendation

reply to Maccawolf

I wrote him a few weeks ago. He told me the cancer had adapted to the chemo and stopped responding. They were going to try a different approach. I was hoping they would at least have been able to manage it but alas that was not to be.
--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.

Maccawolf
Premium
join:2001-02-20
Hillsdale, NJ
reply to Maccawolf

He was diagnosed in Jan of 2011, so he put up a REALLY good/courageous fight. MOST people I know who are diagnosed with pancreatic Cancer are gone within a few days to weeks. He was with us for another 15 MONTHS!
--
Mom and Crockett... I miss you both!

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to Maccawolf

I've heard of him. Never talked to him.

Sorry to hear that.

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
reply to Maccawolf

said by Maccawolf:

He was diagnosed in Jan of 2011, so he put up a REALLY good/courageous fight. MOST people I know who are diagnosed with pancreatic Cancer are gone within a few days to weeks. He was with us for another 15 MONTHS!

Yeah pancreatic cancer is nasty stuff. Steve Jobs is one of the more famous ones who died from the disease.

n2jtx

join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY
reply to Maccawolf

Steve's family requested that in lieu of flowers, donations be made to the Lustgarten Foundation (for Pancreatic cancer research). They have a donation page at »www.lustgarten.org/sslpage.aspx?pid=614. Cablevision pays the administrative costs so all donations go to research.
--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
reply to Maccawolf

I went to the funeral service today. It was well attended by the ham crowd. It felt like a ham radio gathering which I'm sure is how he would have wanted it to be.

GeekNJ
Premium
join:2000-09-23
Waldwick, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

I guess I missed you. I was there yesterday and today. It was a very well done ceremony from the start through the Navy playing Taps at the end.

Here's a picture of Steve and Mark Sanchez which I think was taken aboard the Jets return flight after a playoff win in 2009 or 2010. Steve was the Gameday Frequency Coordinator for the Jets in addition to being the Communications Director for the NYC Marathon for 36 years. The list could go on and on.

W2ML & Mark Sanchez

Steve will definitely be missed by all that knew him.
--
Tweaked your connection? | Mail Parse | Speed Converter

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ

1 recommendation

Steve was very proud of his GDC duties. As one of my colleagues (bc eng and avid jets fan) told me, it's not an easy job.

I'll be @ BARA next month, so maybe we can eyeball then.