spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Country_HSI

join:2012-05-18

Wireless Router Recommendations

Anyone have a wireless router they're really happy with? I'm looking at the Linksys EA4500, but thought I would ask around before I make the purchase. It's for the Business Class 12/2 service and a Motorola SB6121 modem.

Ripper
Premium
join:2002-02-07
West Palm Beach, FL
I have a D-Link DIR-655 and it has been rock solid, but here is a good site for router reviews »www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/r···rts/view

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
kudos:1
reply to Country_HSI
If you're prepared to spend that kind of money, look at some different brand statistics and get the most bang for your buck.

»www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/r···rts/view

There are lot's more charts, reviews and recommendations at smallnetbuilder.

We'll start with LAN to WAN for your viewing pleasure!

ripper beat me to it. I type too slow.

--
~Help Find a Cure for Cancer~
~Proud Member of Team Discovery ~

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
reply to Country_HSI
question is, how much coverage do you expect the wireless router to fill inside your house?

I have 2 access points [wireless routers with dhcp disabled] covering my whole house and leaving the routing functions to my Comcast provided SMC D3G for 12/2 Biz.

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Country_HSI
I would look for a wireless router that supports IPv6.

D-Link DIR 655
D-Link DIR 825
Linksys E4200v2
Netgear WNR1000v2

Any other routers you will likely have to throw out in a year or two if you want to use IPv6. (Yes there will be IPv6 only content out there).

keason
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Ann Arbor, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast Business..
reply to Country_HSI
I really like the Fortinet products. They combine SSL/IPSec VPN, gateway AV, IPS, and Web filtering. You can also filter content and bandwidth restrict undesired traffic. Throughput is pretty high too.

Some of the services are subscription based, so you do have ongoing costs. They update the firmware very regularly with fairly significant feature additions. The integrated AP supports multiple SSIDs.

The base units can also control additional access points.

YukonHawk

join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to Country_HSI
I also had an DIR-655 for years and it was rock solid, but did not support IPv6. I switched to an Apple Extreme 5th generation. It has really good throughput and is very easy to set up. According to Smallnetbuilder it's not the fastest nor the slowest. If you are a tech head and like to tinker with the settings in the router the AE5 is limited. I would look at a router like the Asus Dark Knight to set your personal taste. Both routers I mentioned will support IPv6. The AE5 is the type of router that you just set and forget. I picked mine up on e-bay for 120 bucks. You mileage may vary
Good luck with your selection process.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
reply to Country_HSI
I have the Linksys EA4500 and am very satisfied with its overall performance. Ease of set-up, range, stability are all in line with what I expect from this router.
--
Deeds, not words