StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

1 edit

StuartMW

Premium Member

Groups Concerned Over Arming Of Domestic Drones

quote:
Chief Deputy Randy McDaniel of the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office in Texas told The Daily that his department is considering using rubber bullets and tear gas on its drone.

»washington.cbslocal.com/ ··· -drones/

One of these maybe?

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

UCAVs over US soil should not be legal. And if its allowed people should be allowed to return fire since its a machine and they could claim "Maybe its software gliched".

Wonder if a Spud Gun can bring down a low flying drone.

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

Snowy

Premium Member

said by Kearnstd:

And if its allowed people should be allowed to return fire since its a machine and they could claim "Maybe its software gliched".

If it could be brought down in a controlled environment why wait for it to open fire?

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

rcdailey

Premium Member

There's the rub. John Q sees the drone, thinks he can bring it down in an open space, fires his weapon and the drone comes down but hits his neighbor's house, setting it on fire and killing his neighbor's wheelchair-bound mother. If he doesn't feel bad about that right away, he will when he is sued.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

Well drones are equipped with GPS and the camera can determine the coordinates of whatever it is looking at.

Sooo, if you going to shoot it down make sure its looking the other way otherwise you'll get a visit from whatever authorities are operating it.

Rocky67
Pencil Neck Geek
Premium Member
join:2005-01-13
Orange, CA

Rocky67 to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
It just occurred to me to ask if anyone here has actually seen a drone flying over United States territory. I'm interested in sightings of larger, military-type, fixed wing drones and not so much in smaller or rotary wing aircraft that might have been flown by hobbyists. There is still a substantial military presence here in southern California and I assume they are flying the things over some areas, but I have never seen one.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

Never seen one myself (you're not supposed to!) but here's a possible sighting.

»www.infowars.com/spy-dro ··· -denver/

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS to Rocky67

Premium Member

to Rocky67
Considering their reported operating range is at least 8 miles, I don't think you're going to see one.

Rocky67
Pencil Neck Geek
Premium Member
Orange, CA

Rocky67

Premium Member

Yeah, I realize the chances of my seeing one are pretty small. I'm asking a group in the hope that more eyes will equal more chances for a sighting.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
canada

EUS

Premium Member

You're a regular here, you have probably seen the report(s) of local law enforcement using this equipment to settle disputes? What was the last one I read about, something about a cow rustling, a family farm under surveillance until the heat detectors showed the offending family was asleep, then wham, cops roll in.

Rocky67
Pencil Neck Geek
Premium Member
Orange, CA

Rocky67

Premium Member

said by EUS:

You're a regular here, you have probably seen the report(s) of local law enforcement using this equipment to settle disputes? What was the last one I read about, something about a cow rustling, a family farm under surveillance until the heat detectors showed the offending family was asleep, then wham, cops roll in.

I do recall reports of local law enforcement using drones, but not that particular one. It sounds interesting, I'll have to try to find it.

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

EGeezer to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
Ah, yes - more emission creep.

They first lobbied for drones, claiming all they needed them for was observation to fight crime and protect the elderly and children.

Now, they're proposing arming them with non-lethal weapons so they can observe and fight crime, and protect the elderly and children.

What will they propose next? We could hazard a guess what that could possibly be, but I bet it will be to observe and fight crime, and protect the elderly and children.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
canada

1 recommendation

EUS to Rocky67

Premium Member

to Rocky67
This is the case I had mentioned
»www.usnews.com/news/arti ··· e-arrest

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW to Rocky67

Premium Member

to Rocky67
Well the whole point of any drone is that it operates without been heard or seen (visually or by radar)--that is in secret. I'd therefore expect the number of media reports of their confirmed use (in the US) to be small. And that's just the way the authorities want it.
StuartMW

1 recommendation

StuartMW to EGeezer

Premium Member

to EGeezer
said by EGeezer:

...elderly and children.

Well it's always safe for politicians to lobby for some law or the other in the name of "The Children".

EGeezer
Premium Member
Midwest

EGeezer to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
additionally, Bruce Schneier weighed in on this last fall -
»www.schneier.com/blog/ar ··· uav.html

One responding poster provided an interesting observation;

"You have a stun baton where you can actually engage somebody at altitude with the aircraft."

Sounds useful for detaining really tall suspects.

Well, everything in Texas is bigger.
EGeezer

1 edit

EGeezer to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

Well it's always safe for politicians to lobby for some law or the other in the name of "The Children".

... and Geezers. But not this Geezer.

edit -
one poster in the article raises a good point about collateral damage. Many homeowner policies do not cover damages from aircraft or military action. So if a drone targets the wrong house and the errant gendarmerie stonewalls compensation by claiming government immunity, your insurance may not cover the damages.

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 recommendation

StuartMW to Kearnstd

Premium Member

to Kearnstd
What is needed here is a directional, small and portable, EMP generating device. I'm sure the military drones are EMP hardened but civilian versions probably aren't.

coldmoon
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
Fulton, NY

coldmoon

Premium Member

said by StuartMW:

What is needed here is a directional, small and portable, EMP generating device. I'm sure the military drones are EMP hardened but civilian versions probably aren't.

I think you are trying to swat a fly with a MOAB there. You would have to get close to the drone for anything small to have an effect and if you go big, you are going to hit everything in the area which would be problematic to say the least.

I suggest getting all your stuff together and get ready to flee from town ahead of your neighbors looking to extract some justice...

djtim21
It's all good
Premium Member
join:2003-12-22
Lake Villa, IL

djtim21 to EUS

Premium Member

to EUS
said by EUS:

The jury is still out on this one - Prior to the NATO talks that took place in Chicago, a person filmed a Predator drone flying in Elgin Illinois. This is about 20 miles west of Chicago. Here is a link from the local FOX news: »www.myfoxchicago.com/sto ··· er-elgin

There are many others stating that this was a hoax. I really didn't follow the news on this one, so I really don't know if the story is true or not.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW to coldmoon

Premium Member

to coldmoon
said by coldmoon:

I think you are trying to swat a fly with a MOAB there.

Actually it was wishful thinking. Making a directional EMP device probably isn't physically possible

Disabling/taking out a drone would be difficult at best. That's why they're useful.

And proving their use will be equally difficult (unless of course it's leaked).

EGeezer
Premium Member
Midwest

EGeezer to djtim21

Premium Member

to djtim21
said by djtim21:

There are many others stating that this was a hoax. I really didn't follow the news on this one, so I really don't know if the story is true or not.

I wouldn't be surprised that it's for real. The NATO summit was coming up on the date that video was posted, and I'd expect a great deal of security and surveillance in the area.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

said by coldmoon:

I think you are trying to swat a fly with a MOAB there.

Actually it was wishful thinking. Making a directional EMP device probably isn't physically possible

Disabling/taking out a drone would be difficult at best. That's why they're useful.

And proving their use will be equally difficult (unless of course it's leaked).

well if they start flying them over major US cities though I bet they will avoid towns with lots of tech universities. Fly one over MIT too much and you know it would get hacked and made to do stupid stunts including land at Police HQ parking. Simply because someone could.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

rcdailey to EGeezer

Premium Member

to EGeezer
Yep, then you have to file a claim with the agency involved and hope for the best. You could be spending a lot of time in your tent waiting for the check.

Rocky67
Pencil Neck Geek
Premium Member
Orange, CA

Rocky67 to EUS

Premium Member

to EUS
said by EUS:

Very interesting. Thanks for the link.

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium Member
join:2001-07-23
Bristol, CT

DrStrange to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
It's physically possible, but impractical.

It costs a boatload of money for the components. Complete units cost the same as a new car. The units I found are only good at 15m or less. I suppose you could try to invent a better waveguide for the pulse, or find some alien [as in ET] arms traders to sell you something more advanced.

I'll stick to my electronic flyswatters.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by DrStrange:

The units I found are only good at 15m or less.

Yup, gonna need a lot of power etc to take out a drone 10,000ft away. And not many of us have nukes laying around together with the means to deliver them.