how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB

[AB] HS 20

Just looking to get an info from a Shaw employee regarding the new lower tier plans. Family of mine ended up ordering the HS 20, had the Cisco installed and works alright. Went to get it put in bridge mode so it's just modem so I could install a different router for them. Apparently the bridge firmware is only available on the BB50 and up plans. Anyone have info on this? It is the Cisco, same as I am using on my Business BB50. Kind of seems like a joke to me. If it truly can't be bridge, would it be possible to get the old Motorola 5120 put in, instead of the Cisco? Really don't want to make changes to their plan unless absolutely nessecarry.

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
kudos:2

2 edits

A few notes:

1. I don't see why it couldn't be put into bridge mode, message ShawSean to make it so.
2. The 5120 supports 1 channel, DOCSIS 2.0. The DPC3825 supports 8 ch DOCSIS3.0.

Edit:
I am wrong. HS10/20 can't be put into bridge mode. Have them ask for a Motorola.

kevinds

join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
reply to rustydusty

DOCSIS3 modems are a good idea on any plan.

All previous statements indicate that the 51xx modems are used on plans 25mbps and below, not the D3 modems.

It is possible they put the Cisco modem in for a reason, or by mistake, but the billing system doesn't have a bridge-mode code, because it is not supposed to have one.

I was hoping Sean would have replied to this already. Might have to PM him.

-Posted from my phone.

ShawSean

join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC
kudos:12

1 edit
reply to rustydusty

I'm actually double checking this for rusty. As soon as I find out i'll let you guys know.

EDIT: I verified this and we're unable to bridge modems on non-broadband packages so we'll have to swap it out for a non-wifi docsis2 modem if that's the route you want to go.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

ilianame

join:2002-06-05
Burnaby, BC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Shaw

Nothing to worry about, it's just the management software which does not allow this to happen. Just get the hardware exchanged.
Changing the SOFTware is hard, changing HARDware is where it's all at. Just wait till you get into FIRMware troubles they'll axe the entire line of modems and coax farms, of wait that's the SB6150 story.

I demand fiber nao!

kevinds

Calgary, AB

I've found firmware bugs in the DPC3825, I can only dream for un-modified firmware from Cisco, but that won't happen.

@rusty See if you can get in touch with a CSR with an override password, who could add the bridge-mode code for you. I suspect the code was used to add that modem now.

-Posted from my phone.

kevinds

Calgary, AB

Sean *might* have someone in mind too

-Posted from my phone.

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to rustydusty

I just haven't seen the Cisco in place unless you have BB50 and above. Anything below they were still putting the 5120 in place. When I walked in their utility room and see the Cisco I was surprised. A little frustrated once I found out they couldn't do bridge on the same unit I have, just I'm on a Business BB50. Sean, if there's anyway to over ride this, it would be greatly appreciated. Other than that, it's either upgrade to BB50 or that's it I guess .

kevinds

Calgary, AB

Me as well, that is why I suspect it was a mistake of some kind when it was put in.

I also suspect the billing-code dependancy rules, won't allow bridge mode, because bridge-mode 'should' require a BB50 or above plan - would confuse a 51xx modem.

I might be able to find an old one around here I could send you, if Shaw magically doesn't have any to swap it with

Also, check the account, make sure they haven't subscribed to the WiFi addon, might be another reason for the WiFi modem.

-Posted from my phone.

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to rustydusty

Ya there's nothing that Sean or Shaw can do. Only option is to replace the Cisco with a 5120. As long as Shaw is fine with activating a customer provided 5120 .

kevinds

Calgary, AB

Shaw has been fine with activating any of their own hardware, this one came from Shaw, long ago when you got a discount for purchasing your modem

Shaw should have a stack of them, especailly after upgrade to BB plans, many returned the 51xx modems.

I'll take a look, but let me know if you do need one, it will be a 5101 or 5202, not that it matters.

--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to rustydusty

Yeah I could also use one. Whether it's for myself or family and friends, they are always useful.