share rss forum feed

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1

[Parts Check] Help picking a Z77 mobo

As you may know my P67 board took a dump (maybe a good thing?) anyways I was looking at upgrading my budget is about $150-160 I really haven't checked but from what it seems is that most have the same features?

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

I think most if not all ASUS Z77 boards add their own form of SSD caching which support SSD drives larger them 64GB. This is in addition to Intel SRT. In addition, most ASUS Z77 boards also add a Thunderbolt “TB_Header” for use with an upcoming ASUS Thunderbolt add-in card (~$30 to ~$40). I believe this feature starts on boards at the ~$150 level such as the ASUS P8Z77-V LK. Other boards that have the Thunderbolt controller onboard will likely be above the ~$300 range but that is just a guess.

Generally speaking though, as long as you stick with something like Gigabyte, ASUS, ASRock or Intel you probably cant go too far wrong.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

My most recent board that just failed was a gigabyte and it seems like all the current Z77 boards have a boot loop issue so I'm looking to try some other brands/.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

My last Gigabyte board was a GA-P35C-DS3R and it had some CMOS checksum issues that I never did get corrected. Basically the motherboard failed. It’s the only retail motherboard I have ever owned that failed on me. Still I’m willing to give Gigabyte another shot.

Having said that you still have Intel, ASRock and Asus to choose from.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

I was looking at ASRock and was wondering about them.. I'm not too sure I'm going to use Thunderbolt and by the time I upgrade again it will of taken off or failed.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

said by Subaru:

I was looking at ASRock and was wondering about them.. I'm not too sure I'm going to use Thunderbolt and by the time I upgrade again it will of taken off or failed.

A reasonable way of thinking indeed. Intel Thunderbolt will either become more prominent on the PC platform or it wont. Which is why IMO the Asus implementation of having their boards Thunderbolt “ready’ with their “TB_Header” makes the most sense. The controller isn’t directly on the motherboard so you don’t really incur any or much of the expense of a Thunderbolt while still having the option of full Thunderbolt support should you wish to add the ~$30 to ~$40 card later.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

Yeah I understand what you are saying about planning ahead but I can't see anything I need that has Thunderbolt and by the time I upgrade again I'm sure built in thunderbolt will be much cheaper.

Having said that I was looking at this board as well

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···13157293

Only thing I have to check if it has a spdif header on the board I know one of them I looked at did but I need it for digital coaxial.
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

For that board you linked to it says the following:

quote:
Internal I/O Connectors

Other Connectors

1 x HDMI_SPDIF header

I cant see the port on the motherboard but the silkscreen is right between the last PCIe x1 slot and a USB header at the bottom of the board.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

yeah I see it now too, thanks

asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium
join:2012-05-09
kudos:3

What cpu and ram are you planning on using?

The 7500 core2 duo from your other thread, about your motherboard failing, is not a socket 1155 cpu.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

I know it's not a socket 1155 I'm planning on getting a i5-2300

asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium
join:2012-05-09
kudos:3

and ram.

I just wanted to make sure nothing was missed.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to Octavean

said by Octavean:

My last Gigabyte board was a GA-P35C-DS3R and it had some CMOS checksum issues that I never did get corrected. Basically the motherboard failed. It’s the only retail motherboard I have ever owned that failed on me. Still I’m willing to give Gigabyte another shot.

What about MSI? I'd take an MSI board over a Gigabyte board these days.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

I haven't heard anyone talk much about MSI since the AMD Athlon days..

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

What??? Subaru, MSI is one of the biggest players in video card, motherboard, and other parts. I had problems with a video card and they sent me a new one. I had trouble with a motherboard, Gigabyte sent back the old board, still defective, and frying RAM still.

Micro Star International is, IMHO, a better outfit than Gigabyte.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

I know who MSI is but I'm saying how often to you hear people saying buy MSI now? Back in the AMD when AMD was on top people went crazy over the MSI NEO boards.. I can't recall what the chipset was..

same with some of the older dead brands as well.

*edit just found out Soyo is dead too

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

1 edit

MSI is not a dead brand. Go on newegg and look at how many reviews there are on their products.

There are several motherboard manufacturers that are now gone, are you implying that MSI is going that way?

I don't call over 100 reviews on one particular board an also ran company:

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···13130289

I suggest something solid to you and out of hand you imply the brand is about to disappear. Well. Maybe Gigabyte might disappear?

Or:

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···13130573

A lot of computer shops use MSI, prefer them.

Even ASUS could stop making stuff, unlikely, but anybody could.

I think if you check around the web, some people choose MSI for value, quality, and price over Gigabyte.
--

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

I don't think you are understanding but you are talking my thread off topic now.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

If I am doing that, my apologies. I am merely trying to help and share, I didn't think this was off topic, but ok. I guess that is my fault, I won't say something next time. You, however, continue on and sorry.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

sent PM

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to signmeuptoo

said by signmeuptoo:

said by Octavean:

What about MSI? I'd take an MSI board over a Gigabyte board these days.

I knew I forgot one.

MSI would be the only one from the list I have never owned. Maybe that is why I forgot them.