uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mohdslh

join:2012-07-03
reply to avp77

Re: Distributel - Problems Streaming

This complaints aren't vague avp77.
I have the same problem as another several user of distributel/acanac users
If all of us didn't satisfy you go ahead and check acanac community under cable internet problems.
Almost everyone with iptv or live streaming are affected. I'm not talking about youtube and netflex as these are working fine. I'm talking about any live TV service. For example me and another user are having trouble streaming from ATN network.
Another User having problems streaming from Comedy Network Canada and another from Neulion.
The common thing between all of them is distributel cable internet

avp77

join:2010-07-10

I suppose I meant they are hard for another person to verify, since it seems that almost all the services mentioned require paid accounts with some content provider?

I tried the Comedy Network and clips from that seem fine. I also haven't had any problem with Youtube, Vimeo, BBC and all other news sites, 3rd party sports streams like atdhe, etc...

Not saying you're not having problems, but I wouldn't characterize it as a problem all Distributel users are having with streamed video.

priyen

join:2009-12-23
North York, ON

Its anything single threaded. Turn off our download managers and just download regularly and watch your speed go to as if you had 5Mbps dsl. Its pathetic, they know this, and I hesitate to say:

This is why they dont have a lot of cable capacity problems. The capacitys there for only people know how to utilize it. For most, thell uncontiously be downloading at slow speeds not knowing how fast it is suppose to be.

Samgee

join:2010-08-02
canada
kudos:2
reply to avp77

said by avp77:

I suppose I meant they are hard for another person to verify, since it seems that almost all the services mentioned require paid accounts with some content provider?

I tried the Comedy Network and clips from that seem fine. I also haven't had any problem with Youtube, Vimeo, BBC and all other news sites, 3rd party sports streams like atdhe, etc...

Not saying you're not having problems, but I wouldn't characterize it as a problem all Distributel users are having with streamed video.

None of the streams you have listed would be impacted as they are either not live (youtube, vimeo, BBC) or do not offer a high quality stream.

Try justin.tv, pick a live gaming stream and run in at 1080 and come back and let us know how that goes.

avp77

said by Samgee:

Try justin.tv, pick a live gaming stream and run in at 1080 and come back and let us know how that goes.

I tried out a few 1080 streams, and they worked just fine. I didn't let them run for more than a few minutes, since I'm not that interested in watching other people play video games, but it was all smooth and worked great.

Samgee

canada

said by avp77:

said by Samgee:

I tried out a few 1080 streams, and they worked just fine. I didn't let them run for more than a few minutes, since I'm not that interested in watching other people play video games, but it was all smooth and worked great.

Awesome, try again after 7pm. Their network admin has acknowledged there is a problem, if you can't replicate it more power to you. It's there.

*edit* can you confirm that you are on cable as well?

avp77

said by Samgee:

Awesome, try again after 7pm. Their network admin has acknowledged there is a problem, if you can't replicate it more power to you. It's there.

*edit* can you confirm that you are on cable as well?

Yeah, I'm on cable, on the Scarlett POI. I can try again in the evening, but I doubt it's going to make much difference. I seem to be in a very light-use neighbourhood, I've never ever ever (in the few months I've had it) done a speedtest that was slower than my package of 18Mbps.

Mohdslh

reply to Yodums

said by Yodums:

I haven't, however I will share some information that wasn't posted in the OP, because I was waiting for some information. I contacted Distributel's CSR Admin, Daniel Brisson, after writing the OP, and they put me through directly to one of their network engineers. He replicated the issue by streaming from the sites I was using with various ISPs, and Distributel was unable to stream, whereas the other ISPs had no issues. The network engineer had informed his director and told me this issue required core changes and I'd see them implemented late June. The wait was because the changes would impact everyone and had to be thoroughly tested -- understandable. Well, we're heading into July now and I haven't heard from him since June 11th.

Unfortunately, I decided to cancel my service with Distributel. Being able to stream is important to me and not hearing any sort of an update for such a long period of time was a deal breaker to me. Perhaps some of you guys that are affected by it can contact Daniel again, and ask an update. I'm sure if you link them to this thread, it would ring a bell.

How to contact Daniel?

sehache

join:2010-07-25
Orleans, ON
reply to avp77

From what I have been finding, the problem cannot be seen via a speed test. You can have a 18+ Mbps speed test result and still get poor performance on the stream. I was having the same issue with streaming for the last few weeks when I tested it. I viewed the MIB3 preview from youtube in 1080p and it was full of buffer requests at 1080p. Also had poor performance from Justin.tv (Twitch.tv).

Yesterday however after testing I did not find any issues. I was able to stream the MIB3 trailer and other trailers without buffer stops. It downloaded the whole trailer in a few seconds. Justin.tv (Twitch.tv) worked fine as well during prime time and off prime time with 1080p and 720p live streams.

There was some network upgrades completed last week to move us off of a congested network with Rogers.

I am served off the St Laurent POI in Ottawa.

If people are still having issues, PM me your postal code. Samgee, can you PM me yours.

I can also confirm that this issue does not occur with DSL.

Mohdslh

still pretty bad for me. Will pm you my postal code

Fergless
Premium
join:2008-04-19
Toronto, ON
reply to sehache

Thanks for your help sehache.

cbourdeau

join:2011-12-14
Chateauguay, QC
Reviews:
·Acanac
·Acanac
reply to sehache

Being on Acanac 30/2 internet for a bit more than a month this problem caught my attention and I wanted to check if I had the same problem. I'm in Quebec, so on Videotron's network and everything was fine when I tried it. MIB3 1080 trailer finished downloading after about 1/4 of the video had played. I also tried Justin.tv, I selected a live game feed that was 1080 and no problem as well... Maybe they fixed it recently, but I watched a few HD videos from youtube before and never had a problem...

spartan002
Premium
join:2008-12-22
Brampton, ON
reply to Yodums

same issue as everyone else.
like priyen says its a routing issues, fixed by using a vpn or ssh tunnel. i wonder if rogers dpi has anything to do with it.

without vpn my ping to google.ca is 130ms avg
with vpn its 20ms

chaos1105

join:2004-01-18
kudos:1

Wow, about 2 months and still not resolved? Time to switch providers, guys. Try Teksavvy or Start Communications.

priyen

North York, ON

2 months ... i've had this for nearly 1.5 years to no avail. But i am finally giving up and changing after my term

rseiler

join:2001-11-01
reply to Yodums

Yes, this has been an issue since Day 1 on Acanac cable Internet, though I only signed up about 14 months ago and initially only noticed it with downloads (using the DownThemAll extension for Firefox makes it really obvious).

There were threads there about this last year, but they never resolved to anything.

It's a joke at this point.

veen

@distributel.net
reply to Yodums

I have been using Distributel for a few months.
I was talking to their Tech Support last night and he told me, "Well, if there's nothing wrong with your speedtest, then there is nothing we can do".

I ran their stupid speedtest.bat file and it showed the following tracert:

Tracing route to www.l.google.com [173.194.69.99]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 16 ms 7 ms 8 ms 129.142.101.10.in-addr.arpa [10.101.142.129]
2 20 ms 11 ms 11 ms 201.221.231.67.in-addr.arpa [67.231.221.201]
3 13 ms 7 ms 9 ms gw-rchmdhll1-to-ipr02.distributel.net [206.80.244.12]
4 19 ms 12 ms 10 ms xe-2-2-0-1405.ipr01.totftds.ext.distributel.net [206.80.244.9]
5 10 ms 11 ms 20 ms gw-google.torontointernetxchange.net [206.108.34.6]
6 10 ms 10 ms 10 ms 114.47.239.216.in-addr.arpa [216.239.47.114]
7 29 ms 29 ms 29 ms 170.46.239.216.in-addr.arpa [216.239.46.170]
8 102 ms 102 ms 101 ms 219.46.239.216.in-addr.arpa [216.239.46.219]
9 100 ms 102 ms 100 ms 175.235.14.72.in-addr.arpa [72.14.235.175]
10 111 ms 126 ms 111 ms 16.235.14.72.in-addr.arpa [72.14.235.16]
11 126 ms 114 ms 126 ms 187.242.85.209.in-addr.arpa [209.85.242.187]
12 125 ms 125 ms 125 ms 88.240.85.209.in-addr.arpa [209.85.240.88]
13 125 ms 124 ms 125 ms 53.48.239.216.in-addr.arpa [216.239.48.53]
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 125 ms 124 ms 125 ms bk-in-f99.1e100.net [173.194.69.99]

I have tried calling back today but no luck so far.
Can anyone give me advice as to what I should do, and if I switch providers, who should I switch to? Would going for DSL solve the problems? And what kind of ping would I get with DSL?

Thanks

spartan002
Premium
Brampton, ON
Reviews:
·Acanac
·WIND Mobile
·Mobilicity
reply to chaos1105

unfortunately my friend teksavvy has same issues sometimes. worse i fear its rogers back to its tricks. i switched from teksavvy cable to acanac. problem was during prime time, teksavvy would have huge latency issues and even time out. the connection would literally disconnect for few sections.

acanac doesn't time out though but the latency is always big and single link downloads are super slow

Gza14

join:2002-12-31
Scarborough, ON
reply to Yodums

I've raised this issue on their Facebook page (wall posts by others not visible, however), as well as via email to the tech support.

Not expecting to hear much at this point, but will post upon their response.

sehache

join:2010-07-25
Orleans, ON
reply to Yodums

After talking with a few people on this thread, and looking around, I found the following.

* I do not have issues with Justin.tv or youtube high def video streaming now. Tried on a few occasions at different times during the day. Another person on this thread who lives a few blocks away is having the issue. We get IP addresses in different ranges so we are not served by the same equipment. But we are served by the same POI

* I have seen a few posts in Techsavvy forums for the same issues. Some where due to transit links being used, but that would affect all customers for the most part. This issue only affects some customers in certain areas.

* Streams are being affected by loss of data. Loss could be occuring in a few different places and blame could be laid accordingly.
- If loss is seen before it enters the network, then maybe problem with transit or site itself(not likely since others would complain).
- If loss is seen within network, after transit but before Rogers, then
- loss could occur between our network and customer dwelling - Possible congested node.

Anyone willing to help test this. Would need to run wireshark on your box and send me captures of a stream.

Gza14

Scarborough, ON
reply to Yodums

Currently discussing the issue and possible options with sehache myself.

To add to this, I was able to successfully stream a 1080p channel on justin.tv, post-midnight last night. However, around 6:30PM or so, they would play for a few seconds, stutter for a bit, resume playing, and eventually freeze altogether.

priyen

North York, ON
reply to Yodums

Guys remember the issue is not SPECIFIALLY streaming, its single threaded connections.

Anything that will utilize single threads will be slow. and that is a BIG issue with distributel's network.

(thus causing slow streaming)

Gza14

Scarborough, ON
reply to Yodums

Speakeasy (CHI) has now hit 21Mb.

Streaming 1080p just fine.

Keep it coming.

FB

@distributel.net

I had the same issue but for the first time today I am able to watch IPTV at normal speed

Did something change?

Samgee

canada

2 edits
reply to Yodums

Things have definitely improved.

*edit* Downloads in IE hold steady at 3.4 MB/sec, 1080p streaming solid and uninterrupted. Good across the board. Torrents were never an issue and running full speed.

*edit2* Just noticed that my upstream has 4 bonded channels now as well.

priyen

North York, ON
reply to Yodums

I can also confirm improvement but slight.
On links where i used to get 300Kbps, i am now getting ~500Kbps..

But i was really expecting at least half (1.5MB/sec ) at the least :/

Still hoping for significant improvement.

spartan002
Premium
Brampton, ON
reply to Yodums

yup speeds for have improved a lot. from 24kb/sec to 1-3mb/sec

Gza14

Scarborough, ON

1 edit
reply to Yodums

Hmm... not sure if it's my node, but speeds are on the slow side today.

Speedtest.net is hovering around 10Mb, while Speakeasy is barely breaking 5Mb.

Twitch.tv @ 1080p is a no go.

Anyone else?

EDIT (6:54PM): Speeds are going back up.