Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

crzypony

join:2001-10-22
Levittown, NY

Cooling / Fan's for "Wiring Closet / Server"

Hi all,

Just a little background, I gutted my house about 4 years ago and while I had the walls open I ran cat 6 everywhere all back to a tiny closet on my second floor (no basement, this is why it ended up there). Right now I have a patch panel, a netgear 24 port gig switch, FiOS router, ISY-99 (light controller), CCTV DVR, and my security controller. Anyways, since this closet gets a little warm and eventually I'd love to fit my server in there as well. Whats holding me back from putting the server in there is the heat.

Any idea's on what I could do to cool the closet? It's an unfinished closet, I could put some type of ventilation in there.

Thanks in advance
John

Voodoo288
Common Sense Dictates
Premium
join:2002-08-19
Richmond, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast Business..
How about a bathroom vent fan? It can be vented outside and as long as there's enough air coming into the closet it should do fine.

Post some pics also. It'll help give us an idea on what we're working with.
--
"...But if your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you.”

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to crzypony
Put a vent near the bottom of the door (so that air can get in)
and a return on the ceiling

the return could be a bathroom vent fan (I'd get the most powerful one you can find)

or you could (if possible) duct it to the AC return vent (might still want the bathroom vent fans to help speed up the air movement.

Oh, as per the title of this forum you must post pics, otherwise it should be in the home improvement section.

crzypony

join:2001-10-22
Levittown, NY
Thanks for the replies... I'll take some pics, at work right now.

Thanks
John