Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

missy

join:2007-12-28
Tampa, FL
reply to sleuth

Re: [Beginner] Which Apple Mac to get?

I would suggest the iMac since you mentioned gaming and Photoshop. I would also suggest purchasing through the Apple Store, since you can configure options that way, such as the size of your hard drive, your graphics card and your processor. If you get the 27" screen, you'll get a better graphics card, and a better processor.

Also, Apple is on the verge of announcing a new iMac, with WWDC 2012 just around the corner (June 11). Now it is possible that they may not release the new iMac at that time, but if not, it will not be long before they will release a new model, given how long it has been since their last update.

The Mac mini and the MacBook Pro simply can't compare in terms of graphics cards, RAM and chip speed to the iMac. I'd say a Mac Pro but they are out of price range these days, although they would not have been ten years ago, plus no one realistically knows the future of that line, although it isn't looking good.

rjackal
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Plymouth, MI
reply to dennismurphy
said by dennismurphy:

said by akhbhaat:

That looks like a Model M. Buckling spring...honestly, if there's any company that deserves the "it just works" moniker, it's actually IBM. And it will work for years and years and years...

Used to have one a while back. My mother got a hold of it and it disappeared during one of their moves.

I want.

I just bought a new one this week. It's insanely awesome. Makes me realize just how much I missed it!! I feel right at home and my typing is getting back to speed and accuracy. I'm just over 110wpm now which is way down from where I used to be before I Appleized myself - I need to relearn to trust my keyboard.

»pckeyboard.com/page/category/SpacesaverM

Uglier than homemade sin, but yes, I miss my old IBM Model M keyboard too! Mine was attached to an IBM PS/2 286. Prince of Persia, Leisure Suit Larry.. aww yeah!

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium
join:2002-02-18
kudos:1
reply to sleuth
Getting the right Mac boils down to how much hardware you want to buy. I would start at the $799 Mac mini with the AMD Radeon 6630 and maybe work your way up to the $1199 21.5 inch iMac.

But as for games, you actually have some options now. Valve's Steam platform has come to the Mac. You can get almost all of Valve's games on the Mac (Half Life, Portal, Team Fortress 2, Counter Strike) as well as some third party Mac compatible games in Steam. And, once you buy a game in Steam, you can run it on either platform. So if you buy Portal 2 on your Mac, you can download and install it on both your Mac and Windows PC without paying extra (only caveat is you can only sign onto Steam in one place at a time, so you can't run both at the same time).
--
less talk, more music

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless
reply to Metatron2008
said by Metatron2008:

I have an imac 27" (2009 model, i5, 8 gigs ram), a modified macbook (last model, 8 gigs ram, superdrive replaced with 128 gig ssd, regular drive to become an ssd soon), and macbook air... If it's just gonna sit inside get the imac. I love my imac, the screen is nearly perfect, and you actually get a pretty decent deal on an imac when you combine the price of a pc and a ips screen...

I have a similar setup. A new 27-inch iMac 3.4GHz Quad-Core i7 16GB ram 256GB SSD, HD 6970M 2GB video, and a set of Bowers and Wilkins amplified speakers. It serves as my TV, Stereo, game machine, and general purpose computer for video editing and programming work. I use my 13" Macbook Air a lot around the house and on the road, but now, when I use it, my first thought is "what a tiny screen". The 27" screen on the iMac is so big and clear, I can sit on the couch feet away, and watch TV with no trouble.

I have all of my movies and music ripped to a Pegasus 4TB thunderbolt conected raid. So, this is a stereo, TV, computer, game console, and media storage setup all in almost one device. The iMac made it possible. Highly recommended as an "all-in-one" computer and home entertainment system.

Bob

--
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people"

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
kudos:2
Reviews:
·CableOne
Bob....A suggestion. If you can, I would put this in between your iMac and your Bowers and Wilkins Speakers (although I'm not exactly sure what is amplifying them now):

»www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/F···tra.html

If you are interested, you can find it on Newegg or Amazon for less. It will blow you away. I have one with Bose Music Monitors.
--
"Panama Red Is Back In Town" - The New Riders of the Purple Sage

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless
Looks great, but it wouldn't fit my setup. I have the Bowers & Wilkins MM-1 Speakers. They connect to iMac via USB. They have their own built-in amp. They sound rather awesome. You wouldn't think speakers so small could boom so loud and clear.

Bob