uniqs
share rss forum feed

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

Verizon moving on to leading edge technology

Seems like Verizon is doing what everyone should want them to. And that is moving on to the new communication technologies of the 21st century and leaving behind the buggy whip technology of DSL. It is better for the customers; better for the country; better for the investors. The only ones complaining, besides an aging brain dead Senator, are those who continue to demand that Verizon continue to support old technology, but at lower than their costs.

GlennAllen
Sunny with highs in the 80s
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA

2 recommendations

Well, now you're just being facetious.

Dolgan
Premium
join:2005-10-01
Sun Prairie, WI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to FFH

quote:
Seems like Verizon is doing what everyone should want them to. And that is moving on to the new communication technologies of the 21st century and leaving behind the buggy whip technology of DSL
If that is the case they should be expanding FIOS throughout their entire footprint instead of halting deployment. Wireless will not be able to handle the load for the foreseeable future.

quote:
It is better for the customers; better for the country; better for the investors.
It is worse for the customers stuck in markets where Verizon refuses to upgrade and barely maintains. It is worse for the country as it leaves areas without broadband or slow speeds that make using Netflix and other E-commerce sites next to impossible. The investors are the only winners.

quote:
The only ones complaining, besides an aging brain dead Senator, are those who continue to demand that Verizon continue to support old technology, but at lower than their costs.
Not even close. If the costs of supporting DSL are so high they should raise the price of that service instead of forcing customers to bundle a service they do not want or need. There is no justification for forcing POTS service on customers.

Onedollar

join:2001-08-27
Pomona, CA
kudos:6

Forcing Pots service on DSL customers IS a way of raising prices.

The justification is to give an illusion of DSL prices staying the same to keep competitive with the competition.

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA
kudos:1
reply to FFH

If Verizon had their way, they would still be selling everyone buggy whips. It was Comcast that took all of their landline customers. Consumers were fortunate to have this happen. Who knows how long it will be before we have such an amazing sequence of events befall us again?

I'm sure we will be plodding along with the existing LTE infrastructure and DOCSIS 3.0 technologies for a decade or longer. Spectrum control, agreements between the few corporations left in the industry, and the shocking amount of money being spent to ensure favorable legislation is passed will all contribute in making today's fancy chariots the old, rusty wagons of the future. The gap will continue to widen between the US and the more technologically advanced nations because of our rampant corporate/government corruption.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Dolgan

said by Dolgan:

Not even close. If the costs of supporting DSL are so high they should raise the price of that service instead of forcing customers to bundle a service they do not want or need. There is no justification for forcing POTS service on customers.

But see, here's the thing. They used to charge some $5-10 extra for loop fees for not having a landline if you ordered Dry Loop, so I cannot see how that extra $10 a month is not covering at least the loop itself and the rest is already paid for.

Sammer

join:2005-12-22
Canonsburg, PA
reply to FFH

said by FFH:

And that is moving on to the new communication technologies of the 21st century and leaving behind the buggy whip technology of DSL.

It's Verizon not their customers that decided to strand 40% of their landline service territory with barely maintained DSL buggy whips and it's an almost certain bet the very same areas unless the cable companies provide it will have inadequate fiber backhaul for LTE. Sounds more like Verizon is returning to the 19th century in many areas rather than joining the 21st.

zoom314

join:2005-11-21
Yermo, CA
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
·Time Warner Cable
reply to FFH

said by FFH:

Seems like Verizon is doing what everyone should want them to. And that is moving on to the new communication technologies of the 21st century and leaving behind the buggy whip technology of DSL. It is better for the customers; better for the country; better for the investors. The only ones complaining, besides an aging brain dead Senator, are those who continue to demand that Verizon continue to support old technology, but at lower than their costs.

And Verizon is wanting to foist very expensive and unregulated LTE onto people who don't want it as it's too costly and who would rather keep DSL. I have DSL in a Verizon area, just not with Verizon anymore, over a year back I went to DSL Extreme instead, I get what I want for $32.83 a month, which is 3M/768K and it's on 24/7. Cable here is TWC and it's more expensive for the same speeds and I'm not interested in moving to TWC.

asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium
join:2012-05-09
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to FFH

Wireless may be the future but it can't presently substitute for wireline. It is heavily capped, has unpredictable ping and packet behavior, is clearly lacking in network capacity compared to wireline, is costly, less reliable.

I'm all in favor of verizon investing in the future, and I give credit to verizon for doing far more to advance communications than their peers like att, but trying to force everyone onto technology that is not ready to handle it while slashing their spending on the technology that is still superior isn't very sensible. Timing is everything.
When it can match wires for cost, capacity and reliability that is the time to be bailing on wires.

tim_k
Buttons, Bows, Beamer, Shadow, Kasey
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-02
Stewartstown, PA
kudos:40
reply to zoom314

said by zoom314:

said by FFH:

And Verizon is wanting to foist very expensive and unregulated LTE onto people who don't want it as it's too costly and who would rather keep DSL. I have DSL in a Verizon area, just not with Verizon anymore, over a year back I went to DSL Extreme instead, I get what I want for $32.83 a month, which is 3M/768K and it's on 24/7. Cable here is TWC and it's more expensive for the same speeds and I'm not interested in moving to TWC.

Who's plant do you think DSL Extreme is using?
--
RIP my babies Buttons 1/15/94-2/9/07, Beamer 7/24/08, & Bows 12/17/94-10/11/09

maikii

join:2012-08-08
Pacific Palisades, CA
reply to zoom314

If you have DSL in a Verizon area, you have DSL with Verizon. Period.

The landlines are owned by the local telco monopoly, and all DSL signal goes through t that company.

You buy the VZ DSL from DSLExtreme, a reseller of the telco's DSL.

said by zoom314 See ProfileI have DSL in a Verizon area, just not with Verizon anymore, over a year back I went to DSL Extreme instead, I get what I want for $32.83 a month, which is 3M/768K and it's on 24/7. Cable here is TWC and it's more expensive for the same speeds and I'm not interested in moving to TWC.
[/BQUOTE :