Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Zac
Premium
join:2001-09-12
Calgary, AB

2 edits

[AB] Server Plan - 25/5 Upgrade complete.

Well, I'm thoroughly impressed. Just got upgraded from my old 15/1 ADSL2 Server plan, to the new 25/5 VDSL plan today, Have an Actiontech temporarily, but my Tech is going to try and grab me an ALU.
I have my ALU 7130 3Ve.A2010TEL as of 3:15, a few hiccups, but working perfectly now. With my Routers QOS and Traffic Shaper in effect, my speeds have dropped by about 200kbps on up and down, but still extremely happy.

Here are my initial speed tests,
»www.speedtest.net/result/1969541279.png

I'm extremely excited/happy about this. Not only the 8x faster upload over my old 860kbit upload... But also the pings, OH THE PINGS! My old pings even to Calgary were 60-70ms, now I'm getting 15ms.

Even pinging my Webhost in Texas, I'm getting 66ms ping there. Previously that was 125-130ms, and pinging Dslreports.com is 68ms.

I'm very ~very~ happy right now. Thanks Telus!

--edit--

Connection Status:

xDSL Status:
Connection Status: Showtime
Broadband Mode Setting: MULTIMODE
Broadband Negotiated Mode: VDSL2 - 8B
Downstream Speed: 26879 Kbps
Upstream Speed: 7167 Kbps
SNR Downstream : 15 dB
SNR Upstream : 9 dB
Attenuation Downstream : 0 dB
Attenuation Upstream : 0 dB
Power Downstream 0.8 dBm
Power Upstream -14.7 dBm
--
~There is no Normal or Abnormal... Just Diversity.
Member of Team Helix - Join Us?

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB

I may look at trying this. Did they require a contract for the service? Love to try it for a month and compare to my Shaw Businesss BB50 (50x5).

Zac
Premium
Calgary, AB

I signed a one year contract back when I got the business line up and running a couple years back, Not sure if you can do it dry or not, but the business phone line was only $39 a month, plus internet (which I believe is $110 or so a month, not completely sure yet.)

Considering my only other option is our crappy cable company, and a WISP running of the AB Supernet (offers good service, albeit the speeds are a little behind the times, they do a fantastic job at reaching further than DSL can), I really have nothing at all to complain about, Price or otherwise for what I get.

If you're considering it, Call into their business department and inquire, 310-4638
I have my own rep in the business side who has been amazing through my various business-related hurdles, but in the end have gotten everything worked out. Due to privacy and respect I won't list her name/number but I'm sure when you deal with the business line you get their direct # once you deal with someone.
--

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to Zac

said by Zac:

Have an Actiontech temporarily, but my Tech is going to try and grab me an ALU.

This temporary Actiontec, did that come with bridge mode, or is it locked down the same as the Actiontecs handed out for residential services?

Anyways, I'll have to see if Telus will offer this service to my house even though I'm not a business. The pricing is not too bad at all.

Zac
Premium
Calgary, AB

It was unfortunately just a regular Actiontech, I explored the menus and it seemed locked down. Couldn't find an option for bridge mode, but the Tech said he thought it was a residential installation for 25/2 since he wasn't told otherwise until I mentioned it was for a business line and 25/5.

You can see the Server plan here, Its under Telus Business Freedom Bundle under Office Internet:
»www.telus.com/en_CA/content/busi···ect.html
Advertised as 15/1 with 25/5 upgrade in select areas, and Unlimited usage (Woo!) 2 Static IP's are additional cost of $9, but worth it for me, and I still have my old static IP from my ADSL2 connection, so the transition was seamless.

What am I going to do with all this speed and bandwidth... Just got dual 3TB drives for my server, methinks I'm gonna need to buy a dedicated file storage server. *chuckles*
--

bimmerdriver

join:2010-12-10
Coquitlam, BC
reply to Zac

Nice speedtest results.

Is the connection status from the actiontec?

Zac
Premium
Calgary, AB

Hey there, Thanks.

Yeah, that speedtest was from the Actiontech,

Here's one I did just 20 seconds ago using the ALU hooked to my Soekris Net 5501 box running m0n0wall with a Traffic Shaper enabled.
»www.speedtest.net/result/1970450284.png
--

bimmerdriver

Coquitlam, BC

I meant the connection status report, not the speedtest results.

Zac
Premium
Calgary, AB

Click for full size
Oh, Yeah that was from the Actiontech.

Here's the Connection stats from the ALU... Is this attainable rate really what my line is capable of? Or is that just the Modem's maximum? 72mbit/13mbit... Mmmm...
--

bimmerdriver

Coquitlam, BC

Okay, how did you get that display?

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC
reply to Zac

said by Zac:

Oh, Yeah that was from the Actiontech.

Here's the Connection stats from the ALU... Is this attainable rate really what my line is capable of? Or is that just the Modem's maximum? 72mbit/13mbit... Mmmm...

I'd use the ALU firmware that's been posted here instead of the default one.
--
The more I C, the less I see.

Zac
Premium
Calgary, AB

1 edit

I would... I just don't want to cause or create any problems a day after I've gotten my service upgraded. Don't fix what isn't broken is my favorite motto, as I've always been one to tinker and play with something that's working fine, and end up making something worse.

*chuckles* I've never had issues with dropping or disconnecting on the line so I'm sure SRA shouldn't be a problem, though I guess PhyR could be good to have... Hmmmm, I know TelusFW said "the chances of bricking your modem are relatively low" Though not completely gone... I'd hate to flash it and have no internet as I can't use my Speedtouch and have no spare modems, that and the fact its pretty much the weekend. heh

If its really a good thing I could do it, I've already logged into the menu and just peeked around... (Also noticed the modem itself grabbed its own Static IP from my account, so both my 2 static IP's are in use, one by my m0n0wall router, and another by my modem directly.)

--edit--
Went to download it, and depositfiles says "This file does not exist, the access to the following file is limited or it has been removed due to infringement of copyright." So I can't get the firmware.

--

Zac
Premium
Calgary, AB
reply to bimmerdriver

said by bimmerdriver:

Okay, how did you get that display?

Well that screenshot I posted was from the ALU 7130's menu, The Actiontech has a similar menu if you just go through the menus until you find Connection Statistics/xDSL Statistics.
--

bimmerdriver

Coquitlam, BC

I have an ALU. How do I display that screenshot?

SHA1

join:2011-08-06

Copy/Paste from the Alcatel Firmware post:

1. Set your the IP Address of your PC to 10.10.10.2/255.255.255.0
2. Navigate to »10.10.10.1 in your favourite web browser
3. Enter the credentials to access the DSL Router admin page (we can't post the username/password pair on this site)

bimmerdriver

Coquitlam, BC

Thanks for the help. I got connected to the ALU. It sure would be nice to have the maximum attainable download and upload rates.