EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad

Re: How many channels can be bonded over Docsis 3.0?

And when will CC actually provide 16 forward carriers ? I currently have eight and that seems like a stretch and took a long time to happen.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

That chipset is actually capable of bonding 24 channels down.
I don't think you'll see home usage above 8 channels for quite awhile.
But to serve a larger small business? rather then some akward bonding over multiple modems, maybe?
Arris is pushing their latest D3 platform and I suppose if you were a cableco just starting your D3 buildout you might buy into this.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to EG

MVM

to EG
said by EG:

And when will CC actually provide 16 forward carriers ? I currently have eight and that seems like a stretch and took a long time to happen.

Actually, once Comcast starts providing more than 8 downstream carriers/channels, these 16xN modems will be able to start taking full advantage of them, just like the current 8x4 modems take advantage of (only) 6 downstream channel systems now.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

I know that. I'm all for future proofing but is a 16 or more capable modem practical / cost effective right now ?

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

Don't know what the new 16xN modems may cost, but I agree, the latest 8x4 modems, like the Zoom 5341J, are probably good enough for anyone right now.