All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
26206549 (banned)
join:2012-05-21

26206549 (banned)

Getting rid of Cogeco

So I am going to get rid of my Cogeco connection finally and just use my start.ca cable. Is there anything special I need to do/tell them when I call.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

WHAT a question !

BBIAB with a Top 10 list....
26206549 (banned)

26206549 (banned)

ALso I need them to bury the line from when I got cogeco connected they never did come back the first time and when they showed up for my start.ca install I left them a note and they left one back saying they would schedule someone to come for the line.

26206549 (banned) to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

WHAT a question !

BBIAB with a Top 10 list....

When you say BBIAB it's been a long bit. Heh.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by 26206549:

When you say BBIAB it's been a long bit. Heh.

Ya, but there are just SOOOO many ways to say "Hit the Road, Jack !"

Seriously though, if you read my posts and threads in the Cogeco forum, you will see what I think of them as a company, in regard to politics & policies - their network itself is pretty solid where I am in Eastern Ontario.

But I reckon you are just looking for a smooth transfer of your Internet service from GOUGEco to START.

This has been addressed more than once, here in the START forum, and mainly it involves first calling and getting a tentative transfer date from START (usually will be around 10 business days after you call), and then calling Cogeco to ask for an 'END BILLING' date (yes, DO call it that) of at least a couple of days further out than the date which START said.

That will allow you to swap back and forth between the old and new account for the overlap period (at least it did in MY case), which proved useful to compare performance stats.

OTOH, if there were to be a gap, you might lose not only your Internet service for that period, but also your waived $50 fee for the transfer.
26206549 (banned)

26206549 (banned)

I already have start, I need to get rid of my cogeco.

I just don't want them coming and disconnecting my coax but I do want them to come put the coax in the ground like they said they would. I fear if I call to ask them to come bury the line but then say I am cancelling the line won't get buried.
Phorkster
Premium Member
join:2004-06-27
Windsor, ON

Phorkster

Premium Member

Call and tell them to bury the line, don't add any information or anything, once thats done call back and disconnect from them.

Best advice when wanting get something from someone, or negotiate a better position for yourself, don't talk too much. Give them the information they need to know, period.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

It's like when in court. (and TV crime dramas make this point regularly)

Answer ONLY the question asked and do not volunteer any further info.

For some reason, it was not clear to me that you already had both accounts active.

Then you are past most of what I said earlier.

Do you only have one wire and both ISPs are on it ?

Follow Phorkster's advice.

If you have more than one Cogeco service, cancelling Internet is usually one day notice with no penalty.

If you just have their Internet, they may want 30 days or equivalent $$ even if disco sooner.

If you are in a contract and/or a bundle arrangement with Cogeco, it COULD become messy.

Hopefully not.
Davesnothere

Davesnothere to Phorkster

Premium Member

to Phorkster

Oh yes, and hopefully they don't take all year to get it buried, as waiting could become expensive.

Bell is well-known for putting folks thru such day-mares.
79512968 (banned)
join:2012-05-29

79512968 (banned) to 26206549

to 26206549
6-8 weeks for them to come bury the cable.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

Speaking from personal experience (ie this isn't a 'Start' sanctioned response, rather a personal 'Pete' experience) back when I was setting up a Rogers home connection for testing during Start's TPIA preparation, we discovered we had a cable cut and it delayed the installation while a temp line was run, afterwards it took about a month or two to get it buried - one day I came home and found the temp line gone with some evidence of where the new line was going.

So in my (relatively small) personal experience it is not unusual for the bury team to be running a good distance behind the installer team. If I had to guess why, it's because installers are more operational in nature, vs bury team will be more project driven.