Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot

Re: [Rant] I am grumpy

said by urbanriot:

I've strongly disliked people though, just in general.

I would have never guessed

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to donoreo

to donoreo
said by donoreo:

I am due to take over the support pager tomorrow. Yes, I said pager. It is an actual pager. I said WTF too.

Why? Pagers are much more reliable, have better range and are unobtrusive. I carry a pager and an iPhone. It's not a big deal.

kim
MVM,
join:2001-03-25
ON

kim to donoreo

MVM,

to donoreo
said by donoreo:

said by EUS:

Is it shitty of me to get a chuckle out of your posts, and think to myself "my job isn't so bad, after all"?

And there are a group of 4 or 5 guys who are always in the very small kitchen at 10 am. They are all having coffee. No one is talking. They all come in together and stand there and drink coffee and do not talk.

I'd be spilling coffee everywhere, you don't have to make it easy for them.

Oooooh.. You could do something er umm stinky
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to urbanriot

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

II've strongly disliked people though, just in general.

I also like the heat, very much, and I can't wait for it to get hotter... sorry donoreo

Yes tell us about your sadomasochistic tendencies of hopping in a hot car again so we can all have a laugh.

I dislike people in general, not just some, and If I lived in Toronto I would be the grumpiest prick in the world.

BryceS
join:2007-09-17
Stouffville, ON

BryceS to bt

to bt
said by bt:

said by donoreo:

said by EUS:

Is it shitty of me to get a chuckle out of your posts, and think to myself "my job isn't so bad, after all"?

And there are a group of 4 or 5 guys who are always in the very small kitchen at 10 am. They are all having coffee. No one is talking. They all come in together and stand there and drink coffee and do not talk.

I find this oddly hilarious, but I'm sure I'd be far more annoyed if I had to put up with it myself.

The less I know about other peoples affairs, the happier I am. Im not interested in caring about people. I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. Best friend I ever had. We still never talk sometimes.

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
GTA

1 recommendation

digitalfutur to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
A grumpy male...how's your sex life?

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

said by peterboro:

Yes tell us about your sadomasochistic tendencies of hopping in a hot car again so we can all have a laugh.

I just gasped a sigh in anticipation for tomorrow, around lunch time, when I get into my warm car. Thank you.
said by digitalfutur:

A grumpy male...how's your sex life?

That and lots of sleep, fixes everything.

WhaleOilBee
What a long strange trip it's been
join:2011-08-02
Manotick, ON

WhaleOilBee to donoreo

to donoreo
said by donoreo:

Grumpy like a grumpy old man. Ok, grumpier than that.

I do not like my job.

I am not fond of the people at my job.

I am certainly not fond of the way out client does things.

I am due to take over the support pager tomorrow. Yes, I said pager. It is an actual pager. I said WTF too.

There have been a couple of issues today related to an install done overnight last night. My coworker did this install and missed things that he would not have missed if he had shown up for the meeting.

Boo freaking hoo. Everyone's had jobs they've hated - even if you love your profession. So be a professional. Sooner or later something better will come along and you can jump ship. In the meantime, cowboy the eff up and do your job as best you can. Whining here won't help anything.
highwire2007
join:2008-05-17
Nepean, ON

highwire2007 to donoreo

to donoreo
said by donoreo:

Grumpy like a grumpy old man. Ok, grumpier than that.

I do not like my job.

I am not fond of the people at my job.

I am certainly not fond of the way out client does things.

There have been a couple of issues today related to an install done overnight last night. My coworker did this install and missed things that he would not have missed if he had shown up for the meeting.

I work for a high tech company and we still use pagers too. There are 12 of us who rotate carrying it on a weekly basis. My dad, who isn't particularly tech-savvy even laughed when he saw me carrying it last summer, mentioning that I looked like a drug dealer or pimp from the 1980s. Ouch.

I get the impression that Bell is really, REALLY not maintaining their pager infrastructure for the dozen or so people left in Ottawa using these things.

As far as being grumpy, you're not alone. While I like most of the people I work with, my high-technology job which was once fun has become so process-heavy with reviews & approvals & documents, and ridiculously optimistic (unrealistic) schedules, that I find it difficult to get out of bed every morning.

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON

Mike2009 to donoreo

to donoreo
Sounds like a weird place but since it pays the bills you really shouldn't whine about it. We've all been there.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot to WhaleOilBee

Premium Member

to WhaleOilBee
said by WhaleOilBee:

Whining here won't help anything.

Hah! I disagree. I took his post more in the rant territory with a dash of whining; but complaining here, amongst others that may share similar frustrations, can help as a form of release. It might not help us... but it might help him to get it off his chest!

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to Mike2009

Premium Member

to Mike2009
said by Mike2009:

Sounds like a weird place but since it pays the bills you really shouldn't whine about it. We've all been there.

That is the only reason I took the job, they offered.

keep looking
@videotron.ca

keep looking

Anon

Look for better while you are still there. Or the new U.I. rules will force you to work at Kentucky Fried Chicken.

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly

welcome to kfc my name is donoreo, how many pieces of fresh chicken do u need?

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo to keep looking

Premium Member

to keep looking
said by keep looking :

Look for better while you are still there. Or the new U.I. rules will force you to work at Kentucky Fried Chicken.

Searching every day since I started. I am supposed to have an interview somewhere, but they wanted it at 2 this afternoon and I cannot make it.

kim
MVM,
ON

kim to donoreo

MVM,

to donoreo
I'm grumpy too. To quote Steel Magnolias "if you haven't got something nice to say, come sit by me"

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by kim:

I'm grumpy too. To quote Steel Magnolias "if you haven't got something nice to say, come sit by me"

Ok. We can drink.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

said by donoreo:

Ok. We can drink.

I'm in... When and where.

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

More grumpy. Co-worker to messed up the other night comes in sometime after 10:30 this morning. A few minutes ago he says he has to leave early today. WTF, if you are leaving early come in at a reasonable time.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by donoreo:

More grumpy. Co-worker to messed up the other night comes in sometime after 10:30 this morning. A few minutes ago he says he has to leave early today. WTF, if you are leaving early come in at a reasonable time.

I think I asked you this already, but who is running the show? WOW

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

said by donoreo:

I think I asked you this already, but who is running the show? WOW

I dunno, does crap like this happen at all big companies?

LazMan
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

said by donoreo:

Yes. It does...

I was covering for another manager last week... 2 guys called in with "personal" issues, and 3 guys took Friday as un-scheduled va-kay...

Out of a crew of 9, I was down to 4.

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by LazMan:

said by donoreo:

Yes. It does...

I was covering for another manager last week... 2 guys called in with "personal" issues, and 3 guys took Friday as un-scheduled va-kay...

Out of a crew of 9, I was down to 4.

It is bullshit. He is leaving now. It is a wedding he has to go to. He was not here two hours!

LazMan
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

yup - BS...

I'd dock him a day's pay, myself; but I've been warned that I'm too strict...

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by LazMan:

yup - BS...

I'd dock him a day's pay, myself; but I've been warned that I'm too strict...

I wold not expect to get paid or to use a vacation day. Working for less than 2 hours? Come on. On a regular day he is usually not here before 11:30, so I guess even being here before 11 means he came in early. I am not sure how late he is here, but I know he has had to call me to do something for him because he got paged and was at the gym before 7. 11:30 + 8 = 19:30, he should still be here at that time.....

kim
MVM,
ON

kim to LazMan

MVM,

to LazMan
I don't think that's strict at all. I'd fire him as obviously he isn't needed and creates problems when he's there.

In many companies thats cause for promotion. Careful Don, he'll be your boss soon.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
said by donoreo:

Depends entirely on management. If you or a department has a bad manager, people behave sloppily or poorly unless those people are able to autonomously manage themselves.

My state of mind is this - if I'm not in charge of everyone else, then they can do whatever the fuck they want to do and I focus on doing the best job that I can do. At the end of the day, I have self respect for my job and I really don't give a shit what anyone else has or is doing... I just get my work done. If some guy wants to spend an hour clicking on cards on his PC, all the power to him, that's his (or our) manager's problem.

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy

Premium Member

said by urbanriot:

said by donoreo:

Depends entirely on management. If you or a department has a bad manager, people behave sloppily or poorly unless those people are able to autonomously manage themselves.

My state of mind is this - if I'm not in charge of everyone else, then they can do whatever the fuck they want to do and I focus on doing the best job that I can do. At the end of the day, I have self respect for my job and I really don't give a shit what anyone else has or is doing... I just get my work done. If some guy wants to spend an hour clicking on cards on his PC, all the power to him, that's his (or our) manager's problem.

Problem is you have "Absentee managers" @donoreo: is your "boss" in another city/building?

Sadly I found this out, people leaving early, going to "calls" that were non-existent and just screwing off for the day leaving others around to clean up the mess, aka me...

The pager...get rid of the job as soon as you can donoreo, interview @ 2?....get to it.....On call work is the WORST type of work I don't care who you are I feel for you if you have to carry one of those things or have your phone on 24x7 so some goofball can call you at 4am and say "Can you go read the lights on this device, it was showing as not responding for 8 seconds....".....

I'd rather work a string of night shifts which I do then ever be "on call" again....leave work at work...home life is important....I understand that money is important of course, but if someone is offering you a different olive branch, I say step on it....and let them deal with the aftermath of not having you around to cover for their incompetence....

So that's the issue here, I would say lack of management because their actual boss since he's "At the client's site" means that his actual boss is in another building somewhere else....and then that boss probably doesn't care lol...

Poor don...

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

said by donoreo:

My state of mind is this - if I'm not in charge of everyone else, then they can do whatever the fuck they want to do and I focus on doing the best job that I can do.

I would not care either except that it makes more work for me. We do the same job, I do more of it.
donoreo

donoreo to nitzguy

Premium Member

to nitzguy
said by nitzguy:

Problem is you have "Absentee managers" @donoreo: is your "boss" in another city/building?

My reporting manager he here. She has never said a word to me since I started. Not even "hi" in the hall. We met for 5 minutes during an interview. Most day to day stuff is handled by a project manager.