Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to Automate

Re: Easy with free money

Whats with the focus on universities? Why not other areas where people actually live in more permanent state?

Also when you say stimulus you mean the broadband stimulus from a few years ago? I thought the broadband stimulus money was supposed to be spent on connecting places that dont have broadband not place that do.

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by me1212:

Whats with the focus on universities? Why not other areas where people actually live in more permanent state?

The reason the universities is because they have the middle mile network in many states. Combine that with the fact that they just have to pay a connector fee to get peering on Internet 2 TR-CPS.

Eg. Middle mile network. »www.maineren.net/

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
If its the middle mile thats understandable, but not all are. Plus improving the middle mile doesn't magically wire places that were not wired before. The broadband stimulus was created to wire unwired places not give wired places more wire.

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3
reply to me1212
I went to the Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT) in Chicago. It is located around 3300 South Michigan Ave. Surrounded by public housing projects and neighborhoods that had half of the lots vacant from neglected or arson buildings having been torn down. There are other colleges in similar situations. Traditional neighborhood and business revitalization programs would be greatly helped if you could add in the capabilities of gigabit symmetrical internet service. One way to do that is to expand the university or college internet capability into the surrounding area.