Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to joetaxpayer

Re: [Cable Card] Cost..

way to many sd cable boxes out there and the DTA's are SD only.

joetaxpayer
I'M Here Till Thursday

join:2001-09-07
Sudbury, MA
reply to Russ6

said by Russ6:

Analog channels on Comcast systems are going away to reclaim bandwidth. SD channels can be transmitted in digital format and use less bandwidth than the same channel transmitted in analog format.

I am asking - will the providers, i.e. the 'broadcasters' CBS, NBC, etc. offer a non-HD feed? If they are OTA in HD, are they providing the cable guys with lower quality feeds as well, or are the cable cos converting the feed?

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

I don't think they do and the cable co has to down res / box them.

Russ6

join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX
kudos:1

said by Joe12345678:

That is my understanding, also. Some channels show a center cut without letterboxing.

joetaxpayer
I'M Here Till Thursday

Sudbury, MA

said by Russ6:

said by Joe12345678:

That is my understanding, also. Some channels show a center cut without letterboxing.

That's so wrong. I mean this in the metaphysical sense. It's ridiculous. So ridiculous, I believe you are both right.

Back to the OP - please ignore me, it seems my area is different. I'll brace myself for the bill that adds a fee for HD.

Zoder

join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL
reply to joetaxpayer

said by joetaxpayer:

Pardon my ignorance. Really. There's no consistency from one region to another, so I can't know what they're doing all over.

Think about it this way. From everything I've read, Comcast pays broadcasters per subscriber/customer not per outlet. Therefore the outlet fee is bogus. On the south florida rate card they say that digital converters and a remote are $2.50 to rent. However you can't rent a box without an associated outlet or hd tech fee. That fee brings it to $9.95 By making the equipment part as inexpensive as they do, they can get away with charging cablecard customers $7.45 per additional outlet which is 100% profit.

joetaxpayer
I'M Here Till Thursday

Sudbury, MA

1 edit

Zoder -thanks. My issue isn't the price, per se, it's the inconsistency.

When I bought TiVo #1 I first asked, knowing the model I wanted actually needed two cards. $2 was what I was told. When the $%^&* tried to charge me two outlet fees for the one TiVo, I was pretty annoyed. Tell me the prices, and let me choose. I just want clarity, as it seems, so does the OP here. The different policies from area to area just add to the problem.