spc
uniqs
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

dishrich to Ony

to Ony

Re: HD Technology Fee

The HD tech fee is supposed to include an HD box on one (1st) outlet.
- Does she actually have more than 1 box (NOT counting DTA(s)?
If she does, then the 2nd charge might be for a 2nd box - regardless if it's actually an HD box or not. Or, maybe she has a little-used TV in another room, that she "forgot" had a digital box.
(FYI, once you are charged the HD tech fee, any of your existing digital boxes can be upgraded to HD ones, for no additional monthly charge)

- Is her (only) box a DVR, which carries a separate charge for the "DVR service?

Otherwise, then the bill is wrong, & you need to call to get it fixed.

Ony
@optonline.net

Ony

Anon

This is what she has:

1 DVR box that is not HD hooked up to a tube tv
2 small boxes (these are the DTRs?) they are tiny and attached to tube TVs
1 new HD box for the flat screen
(yes she has a lot of TVs)
She has no use for the DVR. Must she have this at all?

If the bill can be adjusted, I certainly want to do that.

Thanks for your help.
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

3 edits

dishrich

I think you need to take a CLOSER look at her bill...it might also be helpful for you to get a copy of your local CC price sheet, either from your local office or when it was enclosed with a recent bill.
said by Ony :

This is what she has:

1 DVR box that is not HD hooked up to a tube tv

First, understand that when you have ANY CC DVR's on your account, you are required to have the "HD tech fee" enabled on your account. (unless you are a small minority of grandfathered SD-DVR users) Note that some (triple-play) pkgs have this fee included as part of whole pkg, so in that case, it would NOT be charged separately; in that case, you would then only be charged the "DVR service fee", which is typically $8-$9. Where I think your confusion on her billing is, they are probably charging her a separate combined DVR & HD fee of around $17-$18; returning the DVR would remove the DVR portion of that fee.

If she does NOT want the DVR, she can swap it either for a non-DVR (full) digital box, or just get another DTA, which would remove the DVR service fee above. If she get a DTA, it would only be $2 extra; DO remember that DTA's ONLY get all the SD channels up to Digital Starter service level. If she does NOT have anything above this level (ie: Premiums, Digital Preferred, etc.) then she won't be loosing anything, except Music Choice.

If she goes with a full digital box, it's going to be an additional outlet charge of approx $9; if she's still wants to pay for "HD service", that full box can be an HD one at no extra charge. (since as I already said, the HD tech charge applies to ALL full digital boxes on your account)

Some food for thought on this TV - while it sounds to me like a DTA would suffice on this TV...think about if, for whatever reason, she ends up replacing it w/a new flat-panel TV. After having HD on her (new) flat-panel, she may want it on this one - & you'll have to then swap the box back. Not a big deal though - & she WOULD at least save some $$$ until then. (if she goes with a DTA instead)

2 small boxes (these are the DTRs?) they are tiny and attached to tube TVs

The 2 DTA's should already be FREE. FYI, there have been posts here that CC is sending out notices that any new DTA's activated after July 1st, will ALL be charged $2/month - regardless if it's your first 2 or not. (existing FREE DTA's appear to be grandfathered in)

1 new HD box for the flat screen

And as already stated, the HD tech fee includes an HD box on your 1st (primary) outlet; as long as she's OK with the (single) HD charge, there should be no extra charges for this same TV/outlet. If she chooses to ditch the HD tech charge, then there would be NO extra charge for her first full digital box - regardless if it's actually an HD box she has or not. (if she ditches the HD fee, they just simply shut off all the HD channels thru the box; it does NOT have to be exchanged)

(yes she has a lot of TVs)

Actually by my standards, she doesn't have many at all!

She has no use for the DVR. Must she have this at all?

Already answered above ; curious - why DID (does) she have it, if she has (had) no use for it in the first place???

Thanks for your help.

No prob, & after (if) you DO makes changes to her service, look her bill over closely the next month, to make sure the charges match what she actually has. Get AND KEEP any receipts for returned boxes, in case there would be a problem w/her bill.