uniqs
chitchatjf
join:2008-07-13
Lawrence, MA

chitchatjf to Ony

to Ony

Re: HD Technology Fee

This HD technology fee bugs me.
My friend has an HD set AND an HD box yet they blocked off ALL of her HD channels EVEN THE LOCALS!
She gets the Digital starter tier.

THIS IS UNFAIR!
neufuse
join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

neufuse

Digital starter should have HD included, I have digital starter because I dont watch any of the "preferred" channels I have HD and do not have a "HD Technology Fee" but I get 150 HD channels right now

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut
join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

FifthE1ement

said by neufuse:

Digital starter should have HD included, I have digital starter because I dont watch any of the "preferred" channels I have HD and do not have a "HD Technology Fee" but I get 150 HD channels right now

No, Free HD is only for new customers. If you are a current customer upgrading you have to pay an amazing high amount of fees and box charges.

I have a story so similar to the OP that it is near identical. I wanted to buy my grandma a 47 inch HDTV and she was coming from a 32 inch CRT. My grandma already had a Pace RNG110 on her account, which is an HD box in another room for my cousin who already had an HDTV. But the Pace RNG110 was brought out by a tech to fix a broken non-hd box and when the tech installed it HD worked and we didn't have any HD fees or charges. Well when I went to pickup a new box for my grandmas new HDTV I got a newer Pace RNG110 with RF out and it wouldn't do HD as it said not authorized. Well I thought it plays in the other room on the same type of box in HD why doesn't this one? So I called Comcast and after spending a few hours talking with their owns customer service reps, they told me HD should be working. I eventually was transferred up to someone higher who said NO HD WAS NOT on my grandmas account and the HD working for years on the old box was a mistake! They would have to charge like $7.99 per box plus the box charges per box for like an extra approx $35 per month! I said to the rep disable HD in the other room as I only want it on one box but they said they couldn't. I said then disable HD in both rooms and she said she couldn't and would still have to add the charges unless I returned both HD boxes! I told her I never asked for HD boxes on my first TV as their own tech brought it out to fix a broken box we had so why should I have to take my time to return it?

I argued that everyone in my building has been getting free Pace RNG110's for the past year with FREE HD included and the women on the phone said that is only for new customers!? So I complained but they said there was nothing they can do. They even advertised FREE HD on their TV commercials! They don't tell you it is only for NEW CUSTOMERS! Comcast is so big that they don't give a crap about their customers and prices are only going to get higher as more people disconnect and go internet video only (Netflix, Hulu, etc).

Comcast scams people everyday and no one can tell me different as I've seen them do things worse than this before. I once went to another grandparents (in-laws, lol) house in which they were being charged for two boxes when they only had one. I called Comcast and said well do you need to know the box serial number so you know which box they don't have and they said oh, no we know which one it is!? I started yelling saying you knew they only had one box but you've been charging them for two for almost two years now! After I was done my other grandparents got back over $230 in back owed box charges! Scam Artists!

5TH
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

dishrich

said by neufuse:

No it (normally) does NOT - unless you are on a triple-play that has HD included as part of the pkg.
BUT...some CC systems may vary on this, but the majority of them do NOT include FREE HD on DS.
said by FifthE1ement:

No, Free HD is only for new customers. If you are a current customer upgrading you have to pay an amazing high amount of fees and box charges.

Hardly; I'm a long time sub who just upgraded from limited basic/internet to HD Preferred triple play & am NOT charged for HD service at all - since it's bundled with the package as stated above. The ONLY (extra) box charge I'm paying is the $8 DVR fee.