uniqs
share rss forum feed

tomdlgns
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Chicago, IL
kudos:1

e4200 guest access screen

is it possible to get to the files on the linksys and edit the file that shows the cisco guest login screen?

i wanted to edit that page, but i don't think it is doable w/o flashing the router and i dont want to do that.

TIA.

techguy2012

join:2012-05-17
Mundelein, IL
You would either have to compile you own custom firmware with the pages you want in it, then upload it through the "upgrade firmware" method

or

You would have to do some hardware hacking, basically adding a serial port to some unused traces on the board, and then editing the files in the flash file system directly - this may also require alternative firmware in order to activate said serial connection (I know you could do this on older Linksys like WRT54G/L) but this may not be as/possible on newer units.

or

You could not use the Linksys guest feature and implement your own captive portal (probably the easiest) I use DNS Redirector (which does allow for full HTML customization of the splash page) or see the Wikipedia page for Captive Portal to give you a better idea, beware only some allow changes/editing of the splash page.

tomdlgns
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
yeah, the first part of what you said seems like way too much work.

captive portal sounds nice, but might be a little much for this small network i wanted to throw the AP on.

no worries, i will leave it be and let the owner know what the guest password is.

i guess linksys doesnt want to get too technical with their consumer gear, which makes sense, some people struggle with the basics as is.

thanks.
Expand your moderator at work