Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia

2 edits

[Rant] F*KN NCIX

I have to build a new PC for someone, so I saw a deal on NCIX and grabbed it along with a processor and new DVD Writer.

All items are in stock, but I can't get the promo shipping price because some items are not in stock????

Everything looks hunky dory till 8hrs later I get an email saying my CC expiration date was wrong (they won't let me use Paypal on pickup orders).

No problem, my mistake and I respond via the weblink..get another email back, they can't do it.

Call the CS number, oh you have to call another number.. which in turn tells you to call the first number. GRRRRRR.. Ok I'll call the Vancouver number.. oH they're closed for the day (at 7pm EDT).

I figure hell with them I'll just re-order the same items... OH look the price went up.

And Donero is grumpy.. BAH!
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, they do close their phone queue at around 4pm PDT so that they can run through the queue before their office closes at 5pm.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
reply to elwoodblues
Not feeling their love either.
An RMA should not take a quarter of a year to process and send out a replacement.

HoboJ

join:2008-03-27
Cornwall, ON
kudos:1
reply to elwoodblues
I dunno, I had a pretty good experience with them this past week week. Ordered my parts last Thursday and got them Tuesday. Hell I even received my back-ordered "free gift" today.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
reply to elwoodblues
Your own lack of attention to detail timed our your access to on sale items. Suck it up princess It would be no different from me seeing something for sale, then going to get it a few hours later and the item had sold out. Good deals are not forever.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
I'm not saying it's not my fault, I made a mistake. no question about it, but get told 8hrs later and then play games on the phone is NOT acceptable.

I mean is that hard to do real time validation of CC's?

FaxCap

join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC
reply to elwoodblues
I've been dealing with NCIX since they had a single store and no mail
order....never had the slightest trouble with them.

FaxCap

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to elwoodblues
NCIX will pricematch, and they're super generous about it, so NCIX sales aren't really that important... When you buy a computer from NCIX, you can get the lowest part that anybody has on each part...

I just ordered the parts for a new computer from NCIX. Today, they contacted me to say that they noticed that I ordered an Ivy Bridge processor along side my new Shuttle SZ77R5, and that the Shuttle BIOS doesn't support Ivy Bridge out of the box, would I like them to open up the package and install a new BIOS chip with Ivy Bridge support?

Most stores would probably just ship the stuff and let me fend for myself... They did free repair work on my hardware before it even shipped.

That said, their site interface is generally crap; NewEgg's is a lot better.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

XoX

join:2003-08-19
Qc, Canada
said by Guspaz:

it's not the best but at least it beat the one from DirectCanada... The only way to find what you want on DC is by the name of the item.

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
said by XoX:

it's not the best but at least it beat the one from DirectCanada... The only way to find what you want on DC is by the name of the item.

It's actually the same company...

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to XoX
said by XoX:

said by Guspaz:

Really? I guess I'm the only one who likes DC and NCIX's style of site interface....I personally hate NewEgg's....never lets me drill down, DC and NCIX let me drill down by price and type...but typically anything I want I'll go through the sales part and click on the link at their homepage and just scroll through till I get to what I want...I guess I'm weird that I'll scroll...

Just bought a new ADSL2+ modem (The Dlink one) and got a 16GB memory key as I currently don't have a working one and it cost me a total of $58 bucks including taxes and free shipping...its ground shipping, but I'm in no real rush to get the items so I save myself some money on the memory key because it would have been $10 air shipping otherwise for the modem which I need as I'm having some sync issues with my POS TP-Link modem...which I had read a bit more, wouldn't have went with it and spent up the extra $20 bucks to get to the d-link one...

Anywho....it happens to get back to the OP, I remember back in the late 90s when I worked in the PC world and we'd get processor and memory price changes DAILY...I don't know how quickly the prices adjust these days but I'm sure that they all adjust on a daily basis now....

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
Never had a problem with NCIX, DirectCanada, NewEgg or TigerDirect other then TigerDirect charges too much for shipping....

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to nitzguy
said by nitzguy:

Really? I guess I'm the only one who likes DC and NCIX's style of site interface....I personally hate NewEgg's....never lets me drill down, DC and NCIX let me drill down by price and type...

I'm not sure I follow, NCIX's interface doesn't let you drill down more than "show me some videocards with nVidia chips", but NewEgg lets you drill down as specific as you want, such as saying "Show me some videocards with nVidia chips using the GTX 670 in the $300-400 range made by Gigabyte"...

Basically, NewEgg lets you drill through any different combination of various properties and specs of products to find what you want, while NCIX largely just throws a big list of products at you to search through. NCIX also will show you the exact same product at different prices because they often have multiple SKUs of the same thing from different suppliers.
--

nitzguy
Premium
Sudbury, ON
said by Guspaz:

said by nitzguy:

Really? I guess I'm the only one who likes DC and NCIX's style of site interface....I personally hate NewEgg's....never lets me drill down, DC and NCIX let me drill down by price and type...

I'm not sure I follow, NCIX's interface doesn't let you drill down more than "show me some videocards with nVidia chips", but NewEgg lets you drill down as specific as you want, such as saying "Show me some videocards with nVidia chips using the GTX 670 in the $300-400 range made by Gigabyte"...

Basically, NewEgg lets you drill through any different combination of various properties and specs of products to find what you want, while NCIX largely just throws a big list of products at you to search through. NCIX also will show you the exact same product at different prices because they often have multiple SKUs of the same thing from different suppliers.

Ok, for DSL modems for example.....I just went to the newegg site thinking maybe they upgraded, I hadn't been there for a few months so maybe they made some design changes...

Nope, same silly design...

I go to networking -> wired networking -> modems....Looking for an ADSL modem from here....becomes dicey at best....only because I know TP-Link is an ADSL modem supplier, but seems as though newegg has multiple SKUs of the same item...I can either get a TP-Link TD 8616 for $34.99 or $26.99...

Sorting by "Max transmission rate?" and you have 19 options of 56k...and then 1 option of "24 meg down 3.5 up" and "38meg down and 30 up?"..That's only 21 modems....but wait if you could how many are on this page...there are more than 21...so those others don't have a transmission rate? I click on whats obviously the ADSL modem and they give me the more expensive SKU....

Upon further inspection of the NCIX site, I can see how that'd be frustrating to have to scroll through a large list to find what you want...I think they both could use a little more work....

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to elwoodblues
Errm, NewEgg sells precisely one DSL modem, because generally nobody buys them on the open market. They're typically provided by the ISP. It's a pretty bad example of something to use, since it's definitely not a typical thing for somebody to buy from a computer store.

EDIT: Actually they have a few more in the wireless router section, identified by listing an RJ-11 jack.
--

FaxCap

Surrey, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

It's not as elaborate as Newegg's but I can use the filter in yellow on
the left side of the page to pick off Nvidia, CUDA, AMD, AGP,
CrossfireX, etc

FaxCap

LaZ3R
Premium
join:2003-01-17
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to elwoodblues
I ordered stuff from them (majority of my new computer that I just built is from them), and even though their site said the RAM I wanted was in stock, it was back ordered as I found out after purchasing. I wasn't TOO pissed but when I found that tiger direct was offering the ram for lower price (also out of stock sadly), I asked NCIX to at least price match the RAM and I'll wait for it to come back in stock. They said no because apparently it has to be done before the order... which makes no sense because I'd just refund it anyways so I don't see why they wouldn't honor it.

I tell them to refund me on the RAM before it gets shipped, and they instead give me an in store credit which I didn't ask for... I tell them again, I want a full refund, and only THEN did they give me the refund. Took too long and was a bit ticked off, although I feel like they were just following "orders." Went to CC to buy better RAM for the same price the day after

FaxCap

Surrey, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to elwoodblues
After all is said and done...NCIX's Esther is hotter than anything I
have seen from NewEgg.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDhoIiPcIQI

FaxCap

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
LOL...got that right....

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
The two WD Green 2TB hard drives I ordered from Direct Canada came yesterday. Direct Canada had the same price as NCIX but DirectCanada had free shipping....

AND I believe Direct Canada and NCIX ship from the same warehouse, the same location...LOL

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to vue666
said by vue666:

LOL...got that right....

Sorry Guys, but I do like Asian women, and Esther does nothing for me.

XoX

Qc, Canada
reply to decx
said by decx:

said by XoX:

It's actually the same company...

I know but we are talking about web site functionality here... and even if they are the same, some time you can find the same stuff cheaper on DC and in stuck.

nitzguy
Premium
Sudbury, ON
reply to vue666
said by vue666:

The two WD Green 2TB hard drives I ordered from Direct Canada came yesterday. Direct Canada had the same price as NCIX but DirectCanada had free shipping....

AND I believe Direct Canada and NCIX ship from the same warehouse, the same location...LOL

...LOL they sure do! I use Direct Canada now more than anywhere else....I've never had an issue, and with the free shipping on anything over $50....its a no brainer...and actually may work for them as I picked up a 16GB memory key just to bump my order over $50 with the DSL modem....basically turning the cost of my 16GB key to about $10....pretty good deal if you ask me....

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to elwoodblues
DirectCanada's free shipping is usually DHL... I don't know about you guys, but I have *never* successfully received a package from DHL (tried twice). In both cases DHL failed so many times I gave up and told them to return to sender.

Once was before the Loomis takeover, once was after. In both cases, they seemed completely unable to process a redirect; no matter how many times I would call them and get a confirmation of redirect, they would keep delivering to the old address.
--

nitzguy
Premium
Sudbury, ON
said by Guspaz:

DirectCanada's free shipping is usually DHL... I don't know about you guys, but I have *never* successfully received a package from DHL (tried twice). In both cases DHL failed so many times I gave up and told them to return to sender.

Once was before the Loomis takeover, once was after. In both cases, they seemed completely unable to process a redirect; no matter how many times I would call them and get a confirmation of redirect, they would keep delivering to the old address.

Really? Always has been Purolator for me.....weird, maybe because I'm in a hick town Ontario? ...

Never had a DHL shipment...ever....they were used by IBM back in the day that's all I remember....

Hrm...need to check on my order I guess.

Yup shipped from Vancouver, Purolator Ground...it'll get here by xmas maybe lol...

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Only issue I had was that the call centre told me the wrong hours for the depot. I showed up right at closing and was lucky that they let me in, where the call centre had told me they'd be open for another hour.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

I had DHL lose a Thinkpad coming from IBM repair.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

I had 2 weeks of that with Purolator. :\

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to elwoodblues
I'd look up where loomisexpress's closest depot to me is (they bought out DHL's operations in north america), but the work proxy blocks it for having "sex" in the URL.
--

XoX

Qc, Canada
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Strange, i bought a few thing from them and it always was Purolator that delivered my order. Just a week ago i bought and LCD and it was still Purolator.

btw : DHL does not have a pickup place? I mean if Purolator fail to reach me at home (need to sign) i just drive to warehouse/triage center the next day pickup my parcel. Never once had anything send back and i must have ordered about 4 times from them.