uniqs
share rss forum feed

tao
Frazzlebats
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Lansing, MI

[Other] High School Age Limits

Compelling story here in Michigan about a good basketball player with Down's Syndrome fighting to play basketball as a senior even though he will be 19 years old.

»espn.go.com/espn/e60/story/_/id/···syndrome

While I sympathize with the Dompierre family in their fight for their son, I cannot ignore the reasons that 19 year old are banned from playing high school sports in Michigan. The fundamental reason is that the physical development of a 19 year old compared to the 15-18 year olds gives them a clear physical advantage that could lead to injury for the younger players. So I have to agree with the ban here in Michigan, but wondered if age limits have been challeged elsewhere.

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus

join:2011-05-21
Chicago, IL

said by tao:

Compelling story here in Michigan about a good basketball player with Down's Syndrome fighting to play basketball as a senior even though he will be 19 years old.

»espn.go.com/espn/e60/story/_/id/···syndrome

While I sympathize with the Dompierre family in their fight for their son, I cannot ignore the reasons that 19 year old are banned from playing high school sports in Michigan. The fundamental reason is that the physical development of a 19 year old compared to the 15-18 year olds gives them a clear physical advantage that could lead to injury for the younger players. So I have to agree with the ban here in Michigan, but wondered if age limits have been challeged elsewhere.

19 is silly age limit. I can see 20, but a 19 year old could easily be a senior in highschool.

I was 18 my entire senior year of highschool.
A friend of mine turned 19 april of his senior year.
All it takes is the kid to be held back 1 year any time before highschool or just moving states with different standards to be held back 1 year. I know someone that was held back in kindergarden as they felt he was immature.
If you moved from illinois to indiana they automatically held you back a year as illinois was 1 year behind.

Sorry, but to not allow a legit 19 year old senior to play sports is just wrong and pointless. I cant imagine why they would ruin someones senior year like that.
The rule should be only 4 years of highschool eligibility regardless of age so those that do a 5th or 6th year or more should not be allowed to pay after 4 years of highschool.
Most states are like this.

Dejavu
Game Misconduct
Premium,Mod
join:2002-09-11
Ishpeming, MI
kudos:3

1 edit

I live in his hometown, Ishpeming (Pop. 8k).

I guess I am not sure what you are basing his categorization as "good" is but Eric is more of a bench player who comes in if they are winning or losing by 30.

the reason I even mention that is because that is the whole anti argument basis. They are worried it will allow more physically developed older players to alter the games outcomes.

Eric isn't going to be one of those players. He just wants to be on the team that he has played with his whole life and make a few shot attempts when he gets the chance.

He also does placekicking for football...although our team almost never kicks an extra point. again, he just wants to be a part of the team.

I can see both sides of the story but I think if properly enforced it is a good thing to allow older kids to play.
--
You the only one on? | Does anyone know if this socom headset is stereo? | Gimme that $20! | I'm glad we are having suck a great turnout. | carlson why you go swim in lake michigan|news to me and we have no newsletter. Famous "D1" quotes

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO

You open up a monstrous precedent if you let this kid play. There may be a "legitimate" reason that this 19 year old is still a senior, and allowed on the team, but how do you differentiate that from another 19 or 20 year old? How bout a 26 year old kid who never went to high school? Can you keep him off the team if he decides to enroll?

High school sports is the new college sports. There's already big bucks in Texas high school football and Indiana basketball, and it's only going to get bigger. LeBron James' high school had a frickin TV deal.
--
You're so vain... I bet you think this post is about you.

Dejavu
Game Misconduct
Premium,Mod
Ishpeming, MI

There are other states that are already doing this and have set precedence. I believe Ohio had one of the better policies on it.

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14
reply to The Dv8or

said by The Dv8or:

You open up a monstrous precedent if you let this kid play. There may be a "legitimate" reason that this 19 year old is still a senior, and allowed on the team, but how do you differentiate that from another 19 or 20 year old?

All it takes is common sense and judgment, both of which seem to have died.
--
Bohemian Rhapsody

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO

said by fatness:

said by The Dv8or:

You open up a monstrous precedent if you let this kid play. There may be a "legitimate" reason that this 19 year old is still a senior, and allowed on the team, but how do you differentiate that from another 19 or 20 year old?

All it takes is common sense and judgment, both of which seem to have died.

A good lawyer will out-argue common sense and judgement. It sucks, but it's life.
--
You're so vain... I bet you think this post is about you.

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
fishing

It sucks but it's not life. It's just corporate thinking creeping into areas of life where it screws things up.

quote:
But the Michigan High School Athletic Association (MHSAA), which governs sports in public high schools throughout the state, has a clear and simple rule that is standing in Dompierre's way: No student who turns 19 before Sept. 1 shall be eligible to play high school sports. No exceptions.
That's the stupid part --- "no exceptions". No leeway to use judgment and common sense to make individual decisions like this one.
--
Bohemian Rhapsody

tao
Frazzlebats
Premium
Lansing, MI

That is how law is written. This one exception leads to another exception and pretty soon 17 year old seniors getting their knees blown up by 19 year old seniors. These changes would effect all sports. It is the same reason that collegiate sports have an age limit, physical development issues.

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
fishing

Other states have exceptions and it doesn't lead to the things you describe.
--
Bohemian Rhapsody

tao
Frazzlebats
Premium
Lansing, MI

You may well be right, but the topical sport issue is basketball, I am thinking about football. Perhaps the exceptions in other states are specific enough.

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
fishing

I certainly agree with you about physical differences between 17-year-olds and 19-year-olds being potentially harmful in football. At the same time, looking at the kid in this particular story, he's not likely to be physically harming someone playing basketball.
--
Bohemian Rhapsody

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus

join:2011-05-21
Chicago, IL
reply to The Dv8or

said by The Dv8or:

You open up a monstrous precedent if you let this kid play. There may be a "legitimate" reason that this 19 year old is still a senior, and allowed on the team, but how do you differentiate that from another 19 or 20 year old? How bout a 26 year old kid who never went to high school? Can you keep him off the team if he decides to enroll?

High school sports is the new college sports. There's already big bucks in Texas high school football and Indiana basketball, and it's only going to get bigger. LeBron James' high school had a frickin TV deal.

Um no.
There can be 19 year old senior even if the student did not fail.
If you move from illinois to indiana, even with good grades, they will automatically hold you back a year and you will be a legit 19 year old senior at no fault of your own.
Then there is if you actually failed a grade before highschool.

Other states set a limit on 4 years of eligability starting from day 1 in highschool, some have rules of that you cant be emancipated from your parents and must be a dependent, and other states have a 20yr old age limit which accomodates 99% of the legit cases.

There is no different between an 18 year old and a 19 year old for physical ability. It makes no sense to have a 19 year old age limit when there are too many legit situations where a senior can be 19.
My friend turned 19 in april of his senior year. What if he was on the track team?? It would have been complete bullshit if they would not let him do track his senior year.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable
reply to tao

On May 9, the MHSAA representative council reversed course, sending a proposal to amend the rule to its member schools and asking them to vote on it. The proposal would allow for exceptions to be considered in cases where the safety of players and the competitive balance of games wouldn't be compromised, paving the way for Eric and other students with disabilities -- as defined by the Americans With Disabilities Act and/or the Persons With Disabilities Civil Rights Act -- to compete in sports provided they don't exceed 20 before Sept. 1.

Emphasis mine

The proposal seems fair. I hope he gets to play.
--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
fishing

The proposal seems like a good idea, in that it sets some limits for exceptions but allows judgment and common sense to be used in individual cases.
--
Bohemian Rhapsody

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable

said by fatness:

...in that it sets some limits for exceptions but allows judgment and common sense to be used in individual cases.

More of this would be better everywhere, I think, as long as the "judges" can be relied on to be objective.
--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

Dejavu
Game Misconduct
Premium,Mod
Ishpeming, MI

Voted and passed last night joining 23 other states in the waiver eligibility process.

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
fishing