Re: [BW Meter] Comcast to Replace Usage Cap

said by tshirt:

said by telcodad:

Speed Tier -- Monthly Data Cap

Performance (12/2) -- 300GB

Blast! (20/4) -- 500 GB

Extreme 50 (50/10) -- 1.25TB

Extreme 105 (105/10or15) -- 2.5TB

This is close to what djcrazy had proposed: »[Caps] What do you think Comcast should do now about its data ca

For those that are asking/thinking these are real Offical number.
realize those are pipe dreams post by/solicted telcodad See Profile in other pro "kill the cap" threads.

the only info from comcast has been PROBABLY 300GB base included plus MAYBE $10 per 50GB extra.
Nobody should believe they will dedicate TB's per customer at anywhere near the current monthly fees, it just is not economically viable to do so.

I'm not sure anyone might have thought that these were "official numbers," as I had said in my post that one of Comcast's "new approaches" was for "increasing data allotments for each successive tier of high speed data service" and I was just figuring what those allotments might be if they increased in the same way as the sustained downstream data rates for each tier.

Not that I want to debate the same ideas again as in my Data Cap poll thread (»[Caps] What do you think Comcast should do now about its data ca), but in my area, Comcast's current, regular charges for the Extreme 50 and Extreme 105 tiers are $99.95/mo and $199.95/mo, respectively, so I can't see why it wouldn't be "economically viable" to allow those few customers to use 1 or 2 TBs in a month.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

said by telcodad:

....I'm not sure anyone might have thought that these were "official numbers," as I had said in my post that one of Comcast's "new approaches"

No, I thought you've been fairly careful, however after you posted the next post er was misled or wanted to appear so and assumed those number as gospel as might anyone who didn't follow the whole thread.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

telcodad

MVM

OK, gate1975mlm had said "So if the new Cap for Blast is 500GB" which I focused on the "if," but I can see how one might think he thought it was an actual Comcast-proposed figure.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

1 edit

tshirt to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
said by telcodad:

but in my area, Comcast's current, regular charges for the Extreme 50 and Extreme 105 tiers are $99.95/mo and $199.95/mo, respectively, so I can't see why it wouldn't be "economically viable" to allow those few customers to use 1 or 2 TBs in a month.

Because that assume no little cost for the high speed tier itself, i.e. if all the excess is due to data cost, shouldn't we all have 105 and the tiers represent allowed volume?

but because of the way tier system was designed and until now marketed, I think the current prices represent the really price of that speed with ONLY 250-300GB included, now the choices are to decide where the baseline is and exactly how to price the overage.

Remember tolls serve 2 purposes, the first is to repay over time the true cost of the improvement they pay for (plus profit/interest for the bond holders) but the pricing also limits the useage to fit the existing/expanded infrastucture.
so you look for 2 points in the potential pricing range, A}which is maximum return on investment and B} most efficient uses of the infrastucture i.e. moves the most traffic at a high but not always fastest speed.

Somewhere between those prices is usually the best pricing choice for everyone.