TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 edit

NetFixer to Melissa2009B

Premium Member

to Melissa2009B

Re: [Speed] May have to switch to Comcast

said by Melissa2009B:

Yeah that's true, and yes I know what a UPS is. LOL

Don't know what EMTA is though, just that I seem to need one...

Sorry, I thought that acronym had already been defined in this thread

EMTA = Embedded Multimedia Terminal Adapter

And here are definitions for some of the other acronyms from your previous post that you added after I replied:

IMS = IP Multimedia Subsystem

SIP = Session Initiation Protocol

This one may or may not apply to your question; it would help to know exactly where you saw the acronym used:

NCS = Network Control System

EDIT: Damn, my links keep disappearing, hopefully they are all still there now.
NightOwl2
join:2012-03-19

NightOwl2 to Melissa2009B

to Melissa2009B
(Embedded-Multimedia Terminal Adapter) A device that combines a DOCSIS cable modem and analog telephone adapter. The cable modem provides the data interface, and the telephone adapter provides the voice over IP (VoIP) interface for one or more analog telephones. The terminal adapter provides the conversion between analog voice signals and IP packets, delivers dial tone and manages the call setup.

I second NetFixer's and mrs schultz's advice. Go with the Comcast supplied EMTA for the install. There's plenty of time to purchase one later, after everything is running smoothly.
Melissa2009B
join:2009-12-27
Denver, CO

Melissa2009B

Thanks. I just called Comcast tech supt and they told me emta just means it does data and voice. Duh, huh?

They said that on their list, they recommend the TM722G and the SMCD3G-CCR, which would probably be the ones they'd bring out and install if I have them do it. Yay!

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 edit

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Melissa2009B:

Thanks. I just called Comcast tech supt and they told me emta just means it does data and voice. Duh, huh?

They said that on their list, they recommend the TM722G and the SMCD3G-CCR, which would probably be the ones they'd bring out and install if I have them do it. Yay!

Did you decide to go with the business class service after all?

The SMCD3G-CCR is their business class (non-wireless) gateway router, and I have never seen it used for a residential install. If you are still going to get the residential service, the TM722G by itself (along with your own NAT router) should be all you would need.

FWIW, some users have had problems using the SMCD3G-CCR with dynamic IP address accounts (its NAT implementation does have some problems with some applications, and it works best with static IP accounts, with another better quality NAT router behind it). Having given the obligatory SMCD3G-CCR warning message, allow me to say that I use mine both ways. I have some devices behind my SMCD3G-CCR using public static IP addresses directly, I have another NAT router (with a public static IP on its WAN) for most of my non-server devices, and I use the SMCD3G's NAT in front of my Vonage VoIP router (just so that particular IP address is not wasted)
Melissa2009B
Denver, CO

2 edits

Melissa2009B

Oh ok, didn't know that. No I'm doing their Blast residential service.

Just talked to them. If I want them to install the equipment too, they will only install the gateway, not separate modem / router.

So I gotta decide - either buy my own TM 722G and wireless router, or accept their wireless gateway. AND if the router isn't theirs, they won't support that either, if I have problems.
Melissa2009B

Melissa2009B

Looks like we have to rethink this whole thing now. I just called to make sure everything was lined up for next Friday and the woman I talked to earlier was seeing if they could lock in some 6 month price breaks for us. Well now it turned out that they reneged on the whole price break deal. This rep just told me that they "have no promotions" and will be charging $120 a month for HSI and voice, which is $30 more than we even pay CenturyLink for phone and DSL now! And no 6 month break, right from the start!

This stinks!
mrschultz02
join:2007-09-10
Wallingford, PA

mrschultz02

No promotions at all or just for Blast? If you just want to stream HD you would do fine on Performance (16/2 here). There's almost always a promotion on for that level.
Melissa2009B
Denver, CO

2 edits

Melissa2009B

Not sure what 16/2 is.

They told me they have 3 meg service and 20-24meg service ( the Blast ) and that's it. ( Oh, they said they have 12 meg service too, but it isn't fast enough for streaming movies. Huh? ) They told me I need 20-24 megs to do streaming movies, which sounds weird.

I've been watching streaming HDTV on 3 megs, though it's a pain because it skips at times. But CenturyLink told me all I need is 5 megs for streaming HDTV, which they cant provide here because of old phone lines. So I THOUGHT even 5 megs from Comcast would do it, but they say we need 20 megs for streaming movies in HD. Something sounds wrong somewhere, but I just canceled the install.

After all this trouble, no promotions and $120 a month?!

We pay $90 a month now, with tax, for phone & DSL with CenturyLink.

It was a mistake to think we could try Comcast again.

Update:

This is insane. I started digging at their site:

Performance - Special Offer

Get download speeds up to 20 Mbps and uploads up to 4 Mbps with PowerBoost®!

Download music, share photos, and stream video clips at super fast speeds.

XFINITY is the fastest Internet provider in the nation according to PC Mag!
Constant Guard™ - the most comprehensive online protection (a $360 value). Get Norton™ Security Suite and much more.
XFINITY Connect with 7 e-mail accounts, each with 10GB of storage.
More than 3,500 live games on xfinity.com/espn3.
Backed by the 30-Day Money-Back Comcast Customer Guarantee.

***This special price is for new customers who currently aren't subscribed to any XFINITY services.***

Special Offer!
$29.99 per month
for the first 6 months

So WTF ( what the frack ) guys?!

This is just nuts dealing with these people!

I called back the local office and told them about this and they said I'd have to buy it online then, because they don't have access to any promotions at this office. This is like dealing with Dr. StrangeLove, where the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is even doing.
Melissa2009B

1 edit

Melissa2009B

OK, are you ready for bizarro? This has been like dealing with a different planet! Here's my chat logs just now, with their agent!:

Chat log from 5-27-12 around 9 PM

Chris: Thank you for answering my questions. Based on the information you have provided, the Performance - Special Offer would suit your needs.

You: They said we could get HSI with no contract, and even add voice to it

Chris: The Performance plan is a great upgrade from DSL, and it offers value with faster Internet speeds so you can enjoy chatting with friends and downloading your favorite music and movies!Chris: Our Performance plan gives you up to 20 Mbps downloads with up to 4 Mbps upload with PowerBoost.

Chris: Our Performance Internet at this time has a promotion for the first 6 months at $29.99/month for New Customers!

Chris: When you continue using our Performance Internet from months 7 - 12 the pricing would be $44.99/month.

Chris: From months 13 and on the pricing of our Performance Internet is around $62.95/month stand alone.

Chris: The good thing about this plan is that it is not under contract which gives you the flexibility to modify your plan anytime and still take advantage of this offer while it is still available.

Chris: How does that sound?

Chris: May I ask if you usually make long distance calls or calls outside of the U.S?

You: We make LD calls, but not outside the U.S.
You: Usually under 200 minutes a month

Chris: Thank you for answering my questions. Based on the information you have provided, I would recommend our Performance Internet & XFINITY Unlimited bundle.

Chris: This bundle includes Performance Internet service (download speeds up to 20mbps and upload speeds up to 4mbps with PowerBoost) and our Comcast Unlimited phone service.

You: ok...

Chris: With the XFINITY Unlimited plan, you will receive unlimited local and long distance calling including 12 popular calling features for one flat monthly rate.

Chris: Unlimited local and long distance calling will include the U.S., Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, Canada and certain other U.S. territories.Chris: Our Performance Internet with Xfinity Unlimited plan is $39.99/month for the first 12 months with a 2 year contract.

Chris: After the first 12 months, monthly charges are $59.99/month for months 13-24.
Chris: After 24 months, regular rates apply and is around $94.90 - $96.90/month depending on the area.

Chris: How does that sound?

You: Wonderful!

Chris: Let's go ahead and get you started.

Chris: What questions can I answer for you before we get started with the order process?

You: From what I found out from your local people, they'd come over & install a internet/voice gateway. We need wireless to all these devices, the 2 PC's and 2 rokus

You: How much is install?

Chris: There is a one-time installation fee of around $34.99 for professional installation.

Chris: Your installation includes our professional technician setting up both services.

You: Wow! For wireless like this? Again the local people were telling me much more

Chris: An EMTA modem device will be required for Digital Voice service and needs to be connected your cable outlet.

Chris: This fee covers the cost of setting up the EMTA Modem in your home and testing your phones.

You: great!

Chris: You would need to lease our modem for only $7 a month to lease our XFINITY Wireless Gateway which includes a router, cable modem and voice adapter in one device.

Chris: It allows multiple devices in the house to access the Internet at the same time with reliably fast speeds!

Chris: What additional questions can I answer for you before we get started with the order process?

You: yes I know, thanks

CONCLUSION: DO NOT, REPEAT NOT DEAL WITH THEIR LOCAL OFFICE, ONLY ORDER ONLINE!!!

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

1 edit

hortnut to Melissa2009B

to Melissa2009B
Click for full size
Rear View of 614
My Wireless Device is a combination 4 port Router and Wireless Access Point.

It is an ancient Netgear WGR614v9 [b/g], bought it new for under $40 in 2008. It still does all I want, otherwise I would replace it with one, that others are mentioning.

Currently I am in a 1700 sq ft Condo and I have coverage throughout, including outside without problem.

In the past, I have had it setup on a lower floor of a two story 3000 sq ft farmhouse at one time. Bedrooms were upstairs where the laptops were.

»www.speedtest.net/ and others consistently give 12/3+ in d/l speeds or whatever package I am signed up with. I do not take a speed hit with this unit.

Here is the kicker - in the summer months I travel and stay with friends and relatives. I bring it with me. All I need is an open port on their router or switch and a place to plug into 120v. Once that is done, I am connected. I do not have to worry about setup with friends/relative's AP protocols, SSID or Security. Just an open port with RJ45 and a patch cable.

Reading your posts, over the last couple of days, me thinks you are over thinking your setup.

Edit: Once I upgrade my ancient 6 year old, Latitude D610, I will update my Router/Wireless Access Point to that of a dual band that includes b/g/n and any other emerging technology.
Melissa2009B
Denver, CO

Melissa2009B

The interchanges from everyone here, plus me being an old electronics tech, got me doing that.

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

hortnut

Whoops!

Double Post, sorry.
hortnut

hortnut to Melissa2009B

to Melissa2009B
said by Melissa2009B:

The interchanges from everyone here, plus me being an old electronics tech, got me doing that.

And we all like to help!

Due to my current station in life over the last several years and moving a couple of times.

My only need from Comcast was to supply a coax cable to the room I was renting. [majority of time it was already there] From that I hooked up their Modem, went through their self install process with my laptop hooked directly to their Modem.

Once setup, I plugged in my Router/Wireless AP and was set to go.

I like KISS.

I used my Cell for my main phone and Skype and Google Voice for all else. Though I did not have to use a setup as you describe for your business.
mrschultz02
join:2007-09-10
Wallingford, PA
Asus RT-AC88

mrschultz02 to Melissa2009B

to Melissa2009B
said by Melissa2009B:

CONCLUSION: DO NOT, REPEAT NOT DEAL WITH THEIR LOCAL OFFICE, ONLY ORDER ONLINE!!!

That's just the way it is for a lot of stuff now, especially with these gigantic corporations. Many promotions and the best deals you can only get online.

The 20Mbps download / 4Mbps upload speeds listed are for powerboost that kicks in for the first 20MB. For large files and streaming it will probably be 16 down / 2 up sustained speeds. That's still enough to stream 2 HD movies simultaneously and have some extra for web surfing, an HD Netflix stream only runs about 5-6Mbps. Even for the best Vudu HDX 1080 streams 9Mbps is what you need.
Melissa2009B
Denver, CO

Melissa2009B

I've decided to sign up only for the HSI now, as it's without a contract. That's a nice bundle they offer with voice, but it's with contract too. Oh well. Keep CenturyLink for voice.

BUT for the future, I'm thinking I might could get the TM 722G modem and have EMTA capability for the future. Or a Zoom 5341J?

And then add the wireless router.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

That's a good plan and it's easy to upgrade as needed.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2 to Melissa2009B

MVM

to Melissa2009B
said by Melissa2009B:

I've decided to sign up only for the HSI now, as it's without a contract. That's a nice bundle they offer with voice, but it's with contract too. Oh well. Keep CenturyLink for voice.

BUT for the future, I'm thinking I might could get the TM 722G modem and have EMTA capability for the future. Or a Zoom 5341J?

You need wireless right away for your Roku and such, yes?

It makes no sense to get their wireless gateway - you wil not get good range on it - check out the Comcast forums on router issues...

If you want to rent their modem...ok, but you still need a router.

If you think that you may go Comcast voice in the near future, I'd stick with renting the modem, otherwise buy your own.

BTW, I recently got Comcast internet and voice at the performance tier (20Mbps down/4Mbps up with speedboost) and am not on a contract. (plenty of speed for multiple users & Roku/Netflix)

Earlier advice about getting any used modems is incorrect! You simply do not know if what you are getting will be provisioned by Comcast or not! Many of the used modems out there are stolen, there is no assurance that you can receive that ensures the modem will be useable. No one is going to tell you that they are selling a stolen modem after all...

As far as eMTAs, unless Comcast has re-set their eMTA policy, no, you can not just buy an eMTA any old place and expect Comcast to provision it...regular cable modems of course are much less stringent. They have to be from their "approved list" not for any nefarious reason, but they have to be specifically programmed for. Yes, Comcast reps sometimes are all over the place when asking them these questions, so beware.

Refurb routers? Pay your money and take your chances, but they were "refurbed" for a reason...they absolutely do not "replace the insides"...they would throw them away first! A refurbed router is essentially checked for proper firmware flash, tested briefly, prettied up, and put in a new box. No manufacturer actually repairs routers, there is no money in it. Sometimes you luck out and it was just a bad power brick, and often it was just user-error that was the problem...but otherwise refurb routers are in precisely the same condition as when they were returned.

They may be "ok", but they are not "good as new". Your router is the distribution point for all your on line data throughout your house, it usually is on 24/7/365...for that, I would want more than "ok".

PS - Your conversation with Chris sounds good. The prices and set-up described is spot on, and he sounds knowledgeable. I have found that not all Comcast reps are equally aware of their own products and policies
Melissa2009B
Denver, CO

Melissa2009B

said by PeteC2:

said by Melissa2009B:

You need wireless right away for your Roku and such, yes?

Yes.

It makes no sense to get their wireless gateway - you will not get good range on it - check out the Comcast forums on router issues...

I understood that before, and would rather follow the advice here and get a modem and router and not have to rent.

If you want to rent their modem...ok, but you still need a router.

I mentioned that I found on Amazon.com, the NetGear WNR3500L-100NAS Rangemax Wireless-N Gigabit Router, which they say has a 500 foot range, for $33.

If you think that you may go Comcast voice in the near future, I'd stick with renting the modem, otherwise buy your own.

It doesn't look promising. They won't give any breaks on bundling, unless we do a 2 year contract, and we don't want contracts right now, because as I mentioned, we're expecting a global economic collapse at any time now.

BTW, I recently got Comcast internet and voice at the performance tier (20Mbps down/4Mbps up with speedboost) and am not on a contract. (plenty of speed for multiple users & Roku/Netflix)

How did you get them to do it without contract, unless you paid a bunch more? I mean, I could pay full price and have no contract on both of them, but it would be $120 a month, which is $30 more than CenturyLink's DSL and land line.

Earlier advice about getting any used modems is incorrect! You simply do not know if what you are getting will be provisioned by Comcast or not! Many of the used modems out there are stolen, there is no assurance that you can receive that ensures the modem will be useable. No one is going to tell you that they are selling a stolen modem after all...

Agreed.

As far as eMTAs, unless Comcast has re-set their eMTA policy, no, you can not just buy an eMTA any old place and expect Comcast to provision it...

They tell me I can. I talked to them about the TM 722G. As long as it's on their list and unlocked, they said fine. This is where I'm afraid of traps with them. They're a big corp and obviously the right hand doesn't even know what the left is doing, so they could very well tell me OK on this, and then not allow it, in which case I'd be furious at them. ( not that they would care )

regular cable modems of course are much less stringent. They have to be from their "approved list" not for any nefarious reason, but they have to be specifically programmed for. Yes, Comcast reps sometimes are all over the place when asking them these questions, so beware.

The TM 722G is on their list and the claim it's supported.

Refurb routers? Pay your money and take your chances, but they were "refurbed" for a reason...they absolutely do not "replace the insides"...they would throw them away first! A refurbed router is essentially checked for proper firmware flash, tested briefly, prettied up, and put in a new box. No manufacturer actually repairs routers, there is no money in it. Sometimes you luck out and it was just a bad power brick, and often it was just user-error that was the problem...but otherwise refurb routers are in precisely the same condition as when they were returned.

Hmm.

Well have a look, read the reviews:

»www.amazon.com/NetGear-W ··· 6DYQXVYN

They may be "ok", but they are not "good as new". Your router is the distribution point for all your on line data throughout your house, it usually is on 24/7/365...for that, I would want more than "ok".

Hmmm...

PS - Your conversation with Chris sounds good. The prices and set-up described is spot on, and he sounds knowledgeable. I have found that not all Comcast reps are equally aware of their own products and policies

Yeah well, and he even speaks english.

Dee_T
@comcast.net

Dee_T to Melissa2009B

Anon

to Melissa2009B
r.e. Ring central?
Soon.
»Comcast Offers Free Voice2Go Service [10] comments
Melissa2009B
Denver, CO

Melissa2009B

Well the installer showed up here at 2:40 PM and had a completely different work order than the promo that I signed up for online on the 27th. They had canceled the promo and added phone, ALL at full price! I went ballistic. So the poor guy had to stand around for 45 minutes while I hashed it out with a rep on the phone and got my pomo back, WITHOUT voice! I signed up online with it, with their chat tech, without voice, KNOWING that if I added voice, there's no more promo and no more going without a contract!

So get this - the agent on the phone tells me that if I just wait 2 weeks and then order the voice, it will only be $20 more per month than the promo price!

This is like Keystone Cops, dealing with the sales and signup part of this company! It could make blood shoot out of my eyes!

Absolute insanity!

I get a better deal if I don't have it all installed now!

Now I'm wondering, if I get the phone added for only $20 a month more, in 2 weeks, if that will require me going with a contract with them?

Jeez!

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Just go with what you have, remember promos are intended to pay back over their life or within the next year. so whatever bonus they offer will have an equal negitive.
you were happy with the promo before and will save money/get better speeds with this, don't wait for "our lowest price ever" there is always a catch.
Melissa2009B
Denver, CO

Melissa2009B

Well we're all installed for the HSI and it works great! The upload speed now is faster than the download speed was with CenturyLink!

I tried watching my favorite streaming channel and no more stalling! Yeah!!!

So I wait 2 weeks and then approach them about adding the phone.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Melissa2009B:

Well we're all installed for the HSI and it works great! The upload speed now is faster than the download speed was with CenturyLink!

I tried watching my favorite streaming channel and no more stalling! Yeah!!!

So I wait 2 weeks and then approach them about adding the phone.

Or, since you are already a RingCentral customer, you might want to see what it would cost to convert your current account into a full service VoIP account.
Melissa2009B
Denver, CO

Melissa2009B

We might lose our 800 number, which may not be portable. And I don't know if Comcast offers everything we get from RingCentral.

And Comcast is VERY aggravating with sales. I've never seen a company that penalizes people for bundling more services with them!

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Melissa2009B:

We might lose our 800 number, which may not be portable. And I don't know if Comcast offers everything we get from RingCentral.

And Comcast is VERY aggravating with sales. I've never seen a company that penalizes people for bundling more services with them!

I think you misunderstood my post. I was suggesting upgrading your existing RingCentral account. RingCentral is more than just a call answering, call forwarding, and internet fax service. They are also a VoIP provider. You may be able to integrate their VoIP service into your existing account for less than you currently pay for your CenturyLink phone service, or what you would pay for the Comcast Digital Voice service.
Melissa2009B
Denver, CO

Melissa2009B

Integrate it into Comcast's account? Wow. Didn't know RC bundled with CC.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Melissa2009B:

Integrate it into Comcast's account? Wow. Didn't know RC bundled with CC.

Nevermind.
Melissa2009B
Denver, CO

Melissa2009B

Duoh! I see what you meant.

Well I have misgivings about plain old VOIP. I've seen people use it and it was all chopped up.

But Comcast has supposedly done some higher tech things with it, so it's like a real phone?

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Melissa2009B:

Duoh! I see what you meant.

Well I have misgivings about plain old VOIP. I've seen people use it and it was all chopped up.

But Comcast has supposedly done some higher tech things with it, so it's like a real phone?

I am somewhat surprised that you were not already aware of RingCentral's VoIP offerings. They constantly send me offers to "upgrade" my fax service to include full VoIP capability.

Comcast's VoIP (Comcast Digital Voice) is supplied to you over a different cable channel than your internet service, and it stays on their private network until it is transferred to the Public Switched Telephone Network. That does tend to make their own VoIP service less likely to have voice quality problems.

Any other provider's VoIP service will share the bandwidth with your Comcast internet service, so yes, it is possible that the voice quality might suffer. However, FWIW, my Vonage service is as crystal clear as an ISDN connection, and my RingCentral fax service (which uses VoIP technology) has been 100% reliable. As always is the case, YMMV.
Melissa2009B
Denver, CO

1 edit

Melissa2009B

I guess I don't even understand how it works. Would RingCentral give me a box that I'd plug my cordless system into, here at the house? And it would go out via the wireless internet?

Oh by the way, I just looked and they gave us an Arris TG862G/CT for the gateway today. I'll take a look at prices.

I KNOW that some of you said to use a separate modem and router, but this goes by the KISS principle. The way we use this around here is: In the daytime we could both be on the internet at the same time with our PC's. Very little downloading, AND we have 12 meg speed now.

Then at night, we both MAY watch streaming on the Roku boxes at the same time, but probably only one at a time, and with the PC's off. Simple stuff, not big bandwidth hogs or anything.