Search similar:

uniqs

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut
join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

1 recommendation

FifthE1ement

[STB] On-Screen Guide 2.0+ on Motorola (legacy) boxes?

I have a Motorola DCX3400 but there are also many in my area who have other Motorola DCX, DCH and DCT models. Now the DCX is the more advanced and powerful of the "older" Motorola's and should be able to run the newer guides recently released such as On-Screen Guide 2.0, Barcelona HD, X1 Platform and maybe even the future On-Screen Guide 3.0!?

My South Florida Motorola DCX3400 is running the A28 Motorola guide now and in my area we have the on-screen widgets, myDVR, HSN ordering, on-screen caller ID, etc. I don't have AnyRoom DVR but it is available in my area. I just want the On-Screen Guide 2.0 which at least has movie and show images, channel identifier images (at least names other than EG: HISHD) full 16:9 HD guide size, better filters, and basically everything I stated above (myDVR, HSN, Caller ID).

I know it is basically just a facelift to what I have now as I have most of the features but I want the facelift. In my area I believe we have had the same i-Guide "style" of for going on 10 years plus now! They have added features such as myDVR and others over time but it has always been crappy, unable to tell what channel you're really on without labels or accurate channel list, i-Guide! It looks like it is straight out of 1995!

ATT U-Verse, DirecTV and Dish Network all have great HD advanced "futuristic" (compared to i-Guide) guides but Comcast keeps adding features to a jalopy. It's like buying a 1998 car in 1998 and then still driving it around in 2012. Sure you may have added a supercharger, changed some parts and maybe even the cars' color but it's still a jalopy from 1998! I think the DCX and even DCH boxes are being so held back by i-Guide it's like taking Android or iOS version 1.0 and running it on a brand new HTC EVO 4G LTE/HTC ONE X, Samsung Galaxy S3 or iPhone 5!? Arg! It's backwards and archaic!

Who cares about On-Screen Guide 2.0/3.0, Barcelona HD, Xcalibur/X1 Platform if only new boxes which encompass about 15% (est. maybe more or less) of the Comcast footprint are ever going to run them?! Why shouldn't current customers get to enjoy a better guide? According to Comcast's current roll-out only current users who personally change their boxes (and maybe not/never as these newer boxes now require tech installs) or need repairs will ever get to utilize these "New" guides!? So basically new customers are reaping the rewards and really only those who pay mucho dinero bills. I can't see Comcast handing out X1 boxes to digital starter, etc users. And what about all of those old DCX, DCH and DCT models I'm talking about!? Someone is getting those? Scam?

Does anyone know if they will ever bring On-Screen Guide 2.0, or higher, to Comcast in Motorola markets? I know Cisco RNG boxes that have AnyRoom DVR should have On-Screen Guide 2.0 in my area but I want to know if ALL boxes will ever get it? I am talking about the DCX models first as if any box could run it, it would be them. Then also if the DCH and DCT models could and ever will?

What I at least want: On-Screen Guide 2.0 (facelift of A28 with a little more; Images & Guide from Comcast in link below):
»www.xfinity.com/onscreenguide2

What I have now: I-Guide A28 (from 10+ years ago; Images & Guide from Comcast in link below):
»xfinity.comcast.net/newguide/

What some people have: I-Guide A25 (like A28 above without the added supercharger, I mean features; Images & Guide from Comcast in link below):
»xfinity.comcast.net/meet ··· urguide/

History of Motorola Software/Firmware (cool read and history lesson):
»en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ho ··· Software

Other Comcast Guide Links and cool new tech:
»[STB] Comcast Interactive TVs Instant Info Widgets?
»[DVR] Spectrum Quad Tuner DVR revealed
»blog.comcast.com/2012/05 ··· iew.html

Is anyone else feeling me or am I alone in this?

5th
Russ6
join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX

Russ6

Comcast has confused its customers with all the different names that it has used for future guides. I think there will be 2 "new" Comcast guides: On-Screen Guide 2.0 and the X1 guide (formerly On-Screen Guide 3.0). Both of these guides will use Tru2way technology. These guides will work in both the Motorola and SA/Cisco markets so Comcast can provide feature parity across their SA and Motorola footprints. On-Screen Guide 2.0 currently is used on the Cisco RNG 200-N with AnyRoom DVR functionality enabled in the SA/Cisco market.

X1 will first be released on the Pace set-top box and then on the other modern set-top boxes that support Tru2way.

In the SA/Cisco set-top box markets, those are the RNG set-top boxes. For the legacy SA/Cisco STBs that do not support Tru2way they will run the S26 guide that is scheduled to be deployed this summer. The S26 guide brings the features of Motorola's A28 guide to the SA/Cisco markets.

In the Motorola set-top box markets, I am not sure what set-top boxes can support Tru2way. For the legacy Motorola STBs that do not support Tru2way, they will run the A28 guide.

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut
join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

FifthE1ement

Well I know the DCX models support Tru2way but I'm not sure if the DCH or DCT models do from what I can find I their spec sheets? I know my area has the On-Screen Guide 2.0 and it is a Motorola area, but we have some Cisco boxes running AnyRoom DVR. OK so hopefully the DCX boxes will get the new guide (although if I know Comcast this will never happen as they treat all Motos the same across their service areas). I'm just tired of a guide that looks the same since the early 2000's! Most current customers have the DCX, DCH and DCT models with a few new customers getting the Pace RNG models but it seems the old customers are left in the dust when it comes to hardware and just about everything!

5th
Russ6
join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX

Russ6

On-Screen Guide 2.0 is NOT currently scheduled for the Motorola footprint (see »Re: [X1] Xfinity TV on X1 Platform and X1 Remote Control App! ).