You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008 to rmmoody

Premium Member

to rmmoody

Re: [Beginner] Which Apple Mac to get?

I have an imac 27" (2009 model, i5, 8 gigs ram), a modified macbook (last model, 8 gigs ram, superdrive replaced with 128 gig ssd, regular drive to become an ssd soon), and macbook air... If it's just gonna sit inside get the imac. I love my imac, the screen is nearly perfect, and you actually get a pretty decent deal on an imac when you combine the price of a pc and a ips screen...

The macbooks aren't nearly as good of a deal, although they do have the excellent trackpad..

The mac minis may be cheap, but the components are something you could put together for far cheaper.

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

TamaraB

Premium Member

said by Metatron2008:

I have an imac 27" (2009 model, i5, 8 gigs ram), a modified macbook (last model, 8 gigs ram, superdrive replaced with 128 gig ssd, regular drive to become an ssd soon), and macbook air... If it's just gonna sit inside get the imac. I love my imac, the screen is nearly perfect, and you actually get a pretty decent deal on an imac when you combine the price of a pc and a ips screen...

I have a similar setup. A new 27-inch iMac 3.4GHz Quad-Core i7 16GB ram 256GB SSD, HD 6970M 2GB video, and a set of Bowers and Wilkins amplified speakers. It serves as my TV, Stereo, game machine, and general purpose computer for video editing and programming work. I use my 13" Macbook Air a lot around the house and on the road, but now, when I use it, my first thought is "what a tiny screen". The 27" screen on the iMac is so big and clear, I can sit on the couch feet away, and watch TV with no trouble.

I have all of my movies and music ripped to a Pegasus 4TB thunderbolt conected raid. So, this is a stereo, TV, computer, game console, and media storage setup all in almost one device. The iMac made it possible. Highly recommended as an "all-in-one" computer and home entertainment system.

Bob

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Bob....A suggestion. If you can, I would put this in between your iMac and your Bowers and Wilkins Speakers (although I'm not exactly sure what is amplifying them now):

»www.m-audio.com/products ··· tra.html

If you are interested, you can find it on Newegg or Amazon for less. It will blow you away. I have one with Bose Music Monitors.

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

TamaraB

Premium Member

Looks great, but it wouldn't fit my setup. I have the Bowers & Wilkins MM-1 Speakers. They connect to iMac via USB. They have their own built-in amp. They sound rather awesome. You wouldn't think speakers so small could boom so loud and clear.

Bob