RickStep
Premium Member
join:2002-11-25
Hamilton, ON

2 edits

RickStep to ssherwood

Premium Member

to ssherwood

Re: [TV] FibeTV (HPNA) + OTA on same coaxial?

Holland HPNA splitters go down to 4 MHz. here:

»www.hollandelectronics.c ··· Splitter

and spec sheet here:

»www.hollandelectronics.c ··· ters.pdf

Holland model SBD (Sub-Band/CATV Separator/joiner) has a range of 1 - 42 MHz. & 54 - 1000MHz. here:

»www.hollandelectronics.c ··· r-Joiner

and the spec sheet is here:

»www.hollandelectronics.c ··· iner.pdf

Interestingly; the label on the SBD (Sub-Band/CATV Separator/joiner) has the sub band range at 5 - 40 MHz. and the spec sheet pdf document lists the range as 1 - 42 MHz.

These types of devices are extremely cheap and likely have poor repeatable quality, with a very shallow slope at the band limits. This allows them to function reasonably well outside the limits posted on the label.

Good filters for lab work will cost in the $100.00 and up range and usually have a steep slope and a repeatable spec from one device to another.

Rick.

ssherwood
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Toronto, ON

ssherwood

Premium Member

Thanks, Rick.

Bell themselves use Holland splitters when they install FibeTV, as does ATT for U-Verse in the US. (they use the VDSL/HPNA diplexer in the US as the VDSL signal is on the coax from the NID) While what Bell/ATT do shouldn't be taken as an example of what is right and proper, if it is good enough for their installs, it should be good enough for my application, quality wise.

Thanks for looking at the spec sheets - I was going by what is on the labels. I wonder why they would label the device 5-40Mhz when it is actually cable of 1-42Mhz?? Bizzare. Also, I find it interesting that their SBD's range goes lower than their HPNA splitters, which are also labelled starting at 5Mhz, but only go down to 4Mhz according to the specs.

At any rate, the good news is that the HPNA frequency range should be wide enough with the SBD diplexers I ordered.

The only other concern seems to be signal leakage, and it seems that the -40dB high pass filter should eliminate that.

I've learned a lot more about signals, frequencies, interference and leakage etc. by trying to accomplish this OTA+HPNA on 1 coaxial task. I only hope now that 1) it works, and 2) it helps someone else in the future trying to do the same!

-- SS
RickStep
Premium Member
join:2002-11-25
Hamilton, ON

RickStep

Premium Member

said by ssherwood:

. . . as does ATT for U-Verse in the US. (they use the VDSL/HPNA diplexer in the US as the VDSL signal is on the coax from the NID

While the Holland model DPLS-2AR (HPNA-TV/VDSL diplexer) is listed in their diplexer spec sheet; a search for that device on the Holland web site appears to no longer be available.

»www.hollandelectronics.c ··· iner.pdf

Rick