Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo

Re: [Rant] I am grumpy

said by donoreo:

More grumpy. Co-worker to messed up the other night comes in sometime after 10:30 this morning. A few minutes ago he says he has to leave early today. WTF, if you are leaving early come in at a reasonable time.

I think I asked you this already, but who is running the show? WOW

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

said by donoreo:

More grumpy. Co-worker to messed up the other night comes in sometime after 10:30 this morning. A few minutes ago he says he has to leave early today. WTF, if you are leaving early come in at a reasonable time.

I think I asked you this already, but who is running the show? WOW

I dunno, does crap like this happen at all big companies?

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

said by donoreo:

Yes. It does...

I was covering for another manager last week... 2 guys called in with "personal" issues, and 3 guys took Friday as un-scheduled va-kay...

Out of a crew of 9, I was down to 4.

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by LazMan:

said by donoreo:

Yes. It does...

I was covering for another manager last week... 2 guys called in with "personal" issues, and 3 guys took Friday as un-scheduled va-kay...

Out of a crew of 9, I was down to 4.

It is bullshit. He is leaving now. It is a wedding he has to go to. He was not here two hours!

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

yup - BS...

I'd dock him a day's pay, myself; but I've been warned that I'm too strict...

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by LazMan:

yup - BS...

I'd dock him a day's pay, myself; but I've been warned that I'm too strict...

I wold not expect to get paid or to use a vacation day. Working for less than 2 hours? Come on. On a regular day he is usually not here before 11:30, so I guess even being here before 11 means he came in early. I am not sure how late he is here, but I know he has had to call me to do something for him because he got paged and was at the gym before 7. 11:30 + 8 = 19:30, he should still be here at that time.....

kim
MVM,
join:2001-03-25
ON

kim to LazMan

MVM,

to LazMan
I don't think that's strict at all. I'd fire him as obviously he isn't needed and creates problems when he's there.

In many companies thats cause for promotion. Careful Don, he'll be your boss soon.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
said by donoreo:

Depends entirely on management. If you or a department has a bad manager, people behave sloppily or poorly unless those people are able to autonomously manage themselves.

My state of mind is this - if I'm not in charge of everyone else, then they can do whatever the fuck they want to do and I focus on doing the best job that I can do. At the end of the day, I have self respect for my job and I really don't give a shit what anyone else has or is doing... I just get my work done. If some guy wants to spend an hour clicking on cards on his PC, all the power to him, that's his (or our) manager's problem.

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy

Premium Member

said by urbanriot:

said by donoreo:

Depends entirely on management. If you or a department has a bad manager, people behave sloppily or poorly unless those people are able to autonomously manage themselves.

My state of mind is this - if I'm not in charge of everyone else, then they can do whatever the fuck they want to do and I focus on doing the best job that I can do. At the end of the day, I have self respect for my job and I really don't give a shit what anyone else has or is doing... I just get my work done. If some guy wants to spend an hour clicking on cards on his PC, all the power to him, that's his (or our) manager's problem.

Problem is you have "Absentee managers" @donoreo: is your "boss" in another city/building?

Sadly I found this out, people leaving early, going to "calls" that were non-existent and just screwing off for the day leaving others around to clean up the mess, aka me...

The pager...get rid of the job as soon as you can donoreo, interview @ 2?....get to it.....On call work is the WORST type of work I don't care who you are I feel for you if you have to carry one of those things or have your phone on 24x7 so some goofball can call you at 4am and say "Can you go read the lights on this device, it was showing as not responding for 8 seconds....".....

I'd rather work a string of night shifts which I do then ever be "on call" again....leave work at work...home life is important....I understand that money is important of course, but if someone is offering you a different olive branch, I say step on it....and let them deal with the aftermath of not having you around to cover for their incompetence....

So that's the issue here, I would say lack of management because their actual boss since he's "At the client's site" means that his actual boss is in another building somewhere else....and then that boss probably doesn't care lol...

Poor don...

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

said by donoreo:

My state of mind is this - if I'm not in charge of everyone else, then they can do whatever the fuck they want to do and I focus on doing the best job that I can do.

I would not care either except that it makes more work for me. We do the same job, I do more of it.
donoreo

donoreo to nitzguy

Premium Member

to nitzguy
said by nitzguy:

Problem is you have "Absentee managers" @donoreo: is your "boss" in another city/building?

My reporting manager he here. She has never said a word to me since I started. Not even "hi" in the hall. We met for 5 minutes during an interview. Most day to day stuff is handled by a project manager.