Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Annmarie
Lillian
join:2000-11-11
kudos:5

[OOL] E mail from Cablevision re: newer faster modem

I, and everyone in my home with an OOL email address, received this e mail a few days ago:

Important Information about your Optimum Online service

On 5/17/12, we shipped you a new, state-of-the-art modem to give you faster speeds with your Optimum Online service than with your existing modem. We wanted to remind you to replace your existing modem with the new modem in order to continue to receive service.

You can discard your existing modem, or return it to us using the postage paid return label provided.

For assistance with connecting your new modem, click here, refer to the easy step by step instructions included with the new modem or contact us at 1-866-580-0534.

Thank you.

I have also received 2 recorded messages saying pretty much the same.

I am going to call customer service to check this out but was wondering if anyone else has received any info from Cablevision.
--
"Jeez we have a topic going on pecker-wrap! How off topic is that? After-all, we are all here to learn new things and share experiences." ~ anon troll

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
kudos:1
What was the model of your existing modem?

RickNY
Premium
join:2000-11-02
Farmingville, NY
reply to Annmarie
Could they possibly be swapping everyone out with DOCSIS 3.0 modems?

UofMiamiGrad
Premium
join:2001-02-03
Great Neck, NY
reply to Annmarie
What system is the OP on? Curious to see if they are in fact starting to a blanket rollout of D3 modems to system subs.

Annmarie
Lillian
reply to Annmarie
My current non Boost regular speeds are 18704 Kbps/1269 Kbps
with a Scientific Atlantic (I cannot see the rest of the name since it is out of my reach).

New modem is a Touchstone Telephony Modem ARRIS.

If this is a legit swap program I need another modem since we pay for two.
My Dad lives downstairs and wanted his own.
--
"Jeez we have a topic going on pecker-wrap! How off topic is that? After-all, we are all here to learn new things and share experiences." ~ anon troll

majortom1029

Lindenhurst, NY
Are both the same model? I was wondering if you still had an old docsis 1.1 modem.

I am in brookhaven with a docsis 2.0 modem and have not gotten such a notice.

Annmarie
Lillian
When you say same model do you mean the same modem? The no unless the ARRIS is the same as the Scientific Atlantic.

I know those are just the manufactures though.

ARRIS Touchstone TM822G
Telephony Modem is what is on the inside paperwork.

The only way to see what my current modem is would be to move a very heavy desk.
Let me see if I can Google a picture of it though it looks different of course.
--

Annmarie
Lillian
reply to Annmarie
This is what I currently have: »optimum.custhelp.com/app/answers···dpc2203c

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
kudos:3
reply to majortom1029
IIRC the SA modems were all 2.0. The 1.x were Terajet and the Sharkfin and 3Com. I am not sure if there were Motorola 1.X but I do not think there were any.

Could be that if you do a lot of downloading they are updating to prevent DCCs and better manage traffic between the channels.

Also I suspect it would be an area by area thing.
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

aannoonn

@optonline.net
reply to Annmarie
said by Annmarie:

I am going to call customer service to check this out

Why? You think someone is sending expensive state-of-the-art modems to unsuspecting Cablevision customers as part of a scam?

Replace your modem and enjoy the better speeds and service!

Annmarie
Lillian
reply to TheWiseGuy
ARRIS TM822 shows no results on the Cablevision site.

Our area was one of the first to receive actual OOL back when I joined DSLR.
I still had dial up and the day OOL became available I bought a self install kit at Nobody Beats the Wiz and installed it in under half an hour.

I do not do a lot of downloading except for audiobooks from the library once a week.
--

Annmarie
Lillian
reply to aannoonn
Why? Because on the Cablevison site there was some sort of reference to upgrading your modem and receiving Boost. I do not have Boost and I do not want Boost.

I want to make sure that if I install this modem I am keeping my current level of service.
--

UofMiamiGrad
Premium
join:2001-02-03
Great Neck, NY
said by Annmarie:

Why? Because on the Cablevison site there was some sort of reference to upgrading your modem and receiving Boost. I do not have Boost and I do not want Boost.

I want to make sure that if I install this modem I am keeping my current level of service.

What Cablevision system are you on? Cablevision of ????

Just curious!

Tradewind
Ultra 101
Premium
join:2005-11-08
Marlboro, NJ
reply to Annmarie
I've been using an Arris TM822G for about 6 months. I found out about them from my friendly neighborhood Field OP who got one for me. Getting 121 down on Ultra.

ARRIS DOCSIS 3.0 / PacketCable 1.5 Touchstone Telephony Modem
HW_REV: 2
VENDOR: Arris Interactive, L.L.C.
BOOTR: 1.2.1.52
SW_REV: 7.3.123
MODEL: TM822G
Serial Number: BCABRE767232932
Battery Charger FW Rev: 01.91
Options:
Firmware Build and Revisions
Firmware Name: TS0703123_090611_MODEL_7_8
Firmware Build Time: Tue Sep 6 18:01:19 EDT 2011

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
kudos:2
I have an Arris with regular OOL. Works GREAT - full speeds all the time!

Annmarie
Lillian
reply to UofMiamiGrad
Hauppage. The walk in center just about 2 miles from my home.

I will hook up the modem of this weekend and see what I see.

I actually have my original modem. I think it was a Sharkfin that I purchased so it was mine mine.
Cablevision had many people swap them out since they were uncappable?
This was back in the earlyish 2000s I think.

I did eventually have to retire it when I added OV.
--

majortom1029

Lindenhurst, NY
reply to Annmarie
The only thing I can think of is maybe they still think you have the old sharkfin modem ?

Annmarie
Lillian
I don't think so. I had to switch to a new modem when I added OV. I went down to the walk in center with my bill and they simply handed me a modem.

So I assume they know that I have a new one. It has been quite a while now.

I will do several speed tests with the current modem here on DSLR and then several with the new and see what happens.
--

ilsno

@optonline.net
My modem is a Motorola SB4200 Surfboard Cable Modem on the Brookhaven system. Is that going to be replaced ? Havent received the "call" or email yet.

mech1164
I'll Be Back

join:2001-11-19
Lodi, NJ
said by ilsno :

My modem is a Motorola SB4200 Surfboard Cable Modem on the Brookhaven system. Is that going to be replaced ? Havent received the "call" or email yet.

That's what i'm wondering. I'm on the Oakland system here on a 4200. Works fine but if they are doing a new modem roll out i'll bite then.

Dishmantv

@optonline.net
I have a SA Webstar DPC 2100, Its old but works
well with Boost

Annmarie
Lillian
reply to Annmarie
26-05-2012 01:17 PM flash speedtest
20593 Kbps 1234 Kbps NAC (Parsippany NJ) optonline.net

26-05-2012 12:40 PM flash speedtest
20538 Kbps 1871 Kbps NAC (Parsippany NJ) optonline.net

22-05-2012 11:32 AM flash speedtest
18704 Kbps 1269 Kbps NAC (Parsippany NJ)
optonline.net

Last three speed tests - bottom up - old modem, new modem, new modem - just installed.

Note: do not decide to install new modem with the help of 4 small dogs if doing so requires laying on a floor, decide to redo all the wires and cables behind your computer at the same time, before morning coffee or attempt to get a dial tone without logging onto Cablevision and registering the new modem.

I think the swap out has something to do with OV since when I registered I had to choose which modem I was swapping out since we have two - one for upstairs with OV and OOL and one for my Dad downstairs with just OOL. When I chose which one from the list of the two I have it showed the not OV modem as "not applicable".

FYI since I have been asked: my Dad is 83 and wanted his own modem. We got him his own modem. He is happy.
--

aannoonn

@optonline.net
NAC is a lousy speed test site. Use »www.speedtest.net and see what you get.

Aples

@optonline.net
reply to mech1164
Older modems on 37 MHz upstream getting swapped for doc2

Annmarie
Lillian
reply to aannoonn
dupe

Annmarie
Lillian
reply to aannoonn
»www.speedtest.net/result/1973575363.png

21.8 / 1.9

I am a happy customer.

aannoonn

@optonline.net
Go to »192.168.100.1 and tell us home many downstream and upstream channels you have.

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:3
Hauppauge, which I am on, has 6 channels.

Annmarie
Lillian
reply to aannoonn
6 down 1 up.

RickNY
Premium
join:2000-11-02
Farmingville, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to Annmarie
Looks to me like they are swapping Doc2 for Doc3... Perhaps thats why they disabled DCC on the Doc2's -- they realized it was better to just replace everything with Doc3, eliminate the DCC issues, and be able to spread their bandwidth across 6-8 channels, thus reducing call volume and service calls..

Just a guess..