join:2005-01-29
So. CA, USA
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to sortofageek

Re: [Chat] New computer-ventilation question

Click for full size
It's running with visible progress already! So no configuring? And it seems to give status like FAHmon did, so won't need that.

How much do we care about that error message at this point? I'll go back if you'd like.

onDvine
Don't Litter. Spay-Neuter.
Premium
So. CA, USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

Click for full size
The 2nd task (01) has started running, too. Seems moving too fast to be my other computer, though it's still working.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast

3 edits

1 recommendation

Click for full size
said by onDvine:

The 2nd task (01) has started running, too. Seems moving too fast to be my other computer, though it's still working.

That 2nd task is your GPU(video card). They have WU's that take advantage of those. That client will use all folding capable hardware. That is the beauty of it! In the upper right corner where is says novice, change that to expert and you will see more detail.After you select expert mode you should see this under configure>slots. It looks like you have an ATI GPU in your new machine.

onDvine
Premium
So. CA, USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

said by jaynick:

... an ATI GPU ...

Gotta Google to see what that means.

Hmmm. I have an Intel chip, not AMD. My understanding of computers is not on a par with other Team Helilx members.

Anyhow, your grin looks like an ATI GPU is good...

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI

1 recommendation

Right, you have an Intel CPU and an ATI GPU(Video card). Don't worry, it's all good!

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:21

2 recommendations

reply to jaynick

I wasn't going to mention GPU because she probably needs to be up on monitoring those temps before running the client on that, right?

Thanks for jumping in, jaynick. I know nothing about Version 7. I'm waiting for you people to show how it all works.

--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

1 recommendation

reply to onDvine

quote:
How much do we care about that error message at this point? I'll go back if you'd like.
While I was pretty sure the message was false for that link because I would have heard about it if there is a real problem with a Stanford site, I think we need to try to figure out what is causing that and get it fixed. I'll look when I get a chance, but I'm sure your other team mates will look, too.

The easy thing to do is to make sure your computer's date/time are correct.
--

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to sortofageek

Exactly, I was trying to explain why she is seeing 2 slots in her client. It will use both unless you change the config. Her driver package for the GPU(video card) should have a utility to monitor the temps and other values pertaining to it. Kathy's Dell has it but I think I had to download the latest drivers from the Video mfg's site, probably AMD.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

1 recommendation

Sounds like you are the perfect one to help her with this. If the temps are OK, then I would think she wants to keep it folding on both. If not, then maybe you can help her back it off.
--

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

said by sortofageek:

Sounds like you are the perfect one to help her with this. If the temps are OK, then I would think she wants to keep it folding on both. If not, then maybe you can help her back it off.

If the temps get too high, if you look at the bottom of the screen shot you can see the remove tab for the slot. Otherwise the more folding, the more production!

onDvine
Premium
So. CA, USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to sortofageek

said by sortofageek:

... I'm waiting for you people to show how it all works.

Fast and way easy, even for me if that's all there is to it.

Looks like I can start and stop it in Version 7 for installations of other software (and before reboots?). There's a "Quit" button.

If I understand what it says correctly (estimated daily points in lower left corner, which fluctuate), will be accomplishing a noticeable number of work units.

When I put my hand in the cabinet it's warmer than the room but doesn't feel worrisome. Will see what P thinks when he gets home...and do something about a temperature monitor later or tomorrow. Kinda gun shy, there.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI

1 recommendation

Nothin' to it!

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to sortofageek

said by sortofageek:

quote:
While I was pretty sure the message was false for that link because I would have heard about it if there is a real problem with a Stanford site, I think we need to try to figure out what is causing that and get it fixed. I'll look when I get a chance, but I'm sure your other team mates will look, too.

The easy thing to do is to make sure your computer's date/time are correct.

I tried several places at Stanford F@H in Firefox and no warnings.? What URL is giving that?

onDvine
Premium
So. CA, USA

»fah-web.stanford.edu/projects/FA···aRelease

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI

1 recommendation

Hmmm!, I am not getting a peep out of FF.

onDvine
Premium
So. CA, USA

1 recommendation

Ignoring it worked. Couldn't begin to guess why FF is objecting here. Don't think I've had time to tweak a setting wrong yet.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

said by onDvine:

Ignoring it worked. Couldn't begin to guess why FF is objecting here. Don't think I've had time to tweak a setting wrong yet.

I see their website changed with new features very recently. Probably a transition issue with the certs. Seems ok now.

onDvine
Premium
So. CA, USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

said by jaynick:

... Seems ok now.

Still the same here, but since I have the old computer accessing it without a warning, it wasn't dumb to ignore it as otherwise would've been.

If I understand what I'm seeing, should make a milestone by tomorrow. Is that possible with this machine?

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI

1 recommendation

I would assume you should see 1 or 2 finished work units within the 1st 24 hrs. at least.

onDvine
Premium
So. CA, USA

I'm 22.75% of the way through the top one, and almost 20% through the bottom one; it's only been about 3 hours since starting.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI

1 recommendation

Looking good!

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

1 recommendation

reply to onDvine

LOL, she's an addict now! More boxen, more boxen, more boxen, more boxen, more boxen!!!!

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

1 recommendation

reply to onDvine

"This Connection is Untrusted"

»support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/con···-message
--

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

1 recommendation

reply to onDvine

This person discovered he was getting that message because of a Bit Defender engine.

»www.emoneysecret.com/2012/06/fir···ur-time/
--

onDvine
Premium
So. CA, USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

1 edit
reply to sortofageek

I use avast!

So what I have now is more like two relatively fast boxes than one because of the video card?

I have no way to compare the sizes of what's being worked on with the the work on the old computer using the earlier version. Both current projects in this machine are supposed to be done in about 9 hours, now.

Pete put an oven thermometer in the cabinet and left it on top of the computer for about 10 minutes. The surface of the computer is 90° F, he said, but it doesn't feel hot to my hand. Then again, being that it's less than my body temperature, guess it wouldn't.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

1 recommendation

Just gauge the total gain by how much more often you see milestones. And that will get even more dramatic once you have successfully sent home enough bonus WUs to start getting the bonus.
--

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to onDvine

Just so ya know, both your cpu and gpu will or should run at 100% usage but they run at low priority so they will back off automatically to allow for other tasks when necessary. Also when you need to reboot your machine there is no need to stop the client beforehand. It will kick back in when the machine reboots,resuming from where it left off.

onDvine
Premium
So. CA, USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to sortofageek

said by sortofageek:

Just gauge the total gain by how much more often you see milestones. ...

I have a list of the dates/numbers so it will be easy to compare. Anything other than "few and far between" will be great.

... And that will get even more dramatic once you have successfully sent home enough bonus WUs to start getting the bonus.

Thank you! Tomorrow, will look around and see what "bonus WUs" and the other bonus you refer to are.

onDvine
Premium
So. CA, USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to jaynick

Thank you! I knew the folding would back off to allow for other tasks. Will be nice not to think about shutting the client down unless installing applications.

Does the temperature in the cabinet sound okay?

onDvine
Premium
So. CA, USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to sortofageek

said by sortofageek:

... make sure your computer's date/time are correct.

They are.