Premium Member
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

2 recommendations

rfhar to onDvine

Premium Member

to onDvine

Re: [Chat] New computer

I do not know how familiar you are with Windows 7 but the defrag program in it is vastly improved over past versions and it runs in the background. I have found it to be adequate for me and have not used any other defrag programs since up grading to Win7.

onDvine
Grown up Flower Child
Premium Member
join:2005-01-29
So. CA, USA

onDvine

Premium Member

Thank you. I've had Windows 7 for about a week and am not familiar with it.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

1 recommendation

Sunny

If you're looking for something you used in XP and it is not where you expected to find it, just click on Start > Help and Support and then search for it.

You might want to explore Windows 7 Features here: »windows.microsoft.com/en ··· features

Santa Fe
BUT.....I Digress!

join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard

1 recommendation

Santa Fe to Sunny

to Sunny
said by Sunny:

Since several people mentioned cleaning, I looked for a "howto" video for you. I chose this one because it seems professionally done, but that doesn't mean it is the best one on youtube.com. Someone else may point to one they like better.

Cleaning A Computer - Inside and Out

(youtube clip)

Hmmmm....I have an easier time of cleaning MY computers!

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

1 recommendation

Sunny

onDvine See Profile, when Helix trolls your serious threads, you KNOW you're loved.

I just thought I would explain that since it's hard to tell, right?

onDvine
Grown up Flower Child
Premium Member
So. CA, USA

onDvine to Sunny

Premium Member

to Sunny
Thanks. Maybe I'll find some of the info there I seem unable to find elsewhere.
onDvine

onDvine to Sunny

Premium Member

to Sunny
I don't consider it trolling; it's just meandering around until time to say something relevant again.
onDvine

2 edits

onDvine to jaynick

Premium Member

to jaynick

Re: [Chat] New computer-ventilation question

Help! I downloaded/installed Core Temp and it installed a Yahoo Toolbar after I expressly said I didn't want it. Now, though Core Temp is uninstalled, I can't get rid of the Yahoo Toolbar. I'm using Firefox.

I looked at All CPU meter, but didn't want to always have the window open on my desktop so canceled installation.

Edit: I can make the toolbar disappear; will see if it stays gone when I restart the browser.

I restarted the browser and still don't see it, but would prefer it not be there at all, even invisible. Thanks in advance for advice on how to go back to the Yahoo-free state I was in before installing Core Temp.

Santa Fe
BUT.....I Digress!

Freight Yard

1 recommendation

Santa Fe

I THINK you can uncheck it if you right click somewhere on the taskbar. It'll give you a list of toolbars installed & you can disable it. Or you can click on View/Toolbars too. As for getting rid of it, I don't know how to do that. Now that I think of it you might try Tools/Add-Ons & see if it's listed in Extensions & hope it has a remove button.

onDvine
Grown up Flower Child
Premium Member
So. CA, USA

3 edits

onDvine

Premium Member

Click for full size
Thank you. That's how I got it not to show.

The browser isn't allowing me to see my installed extensions so I can't tell if it's there or not. Firefox never refused to show my extensions before.

I decided to use a System Restore point from last night and it worked. After rebooting, the Yahoo option was no longer in Firefox's menus, so all's well with that. Now I've gotta find out why I can't see extensions.
onDvine

onDvine to jaynick

Premium Member

to jaynick
The Yahoo Toolbar that came with Core Temp (see post above) came back. Please, can you tell me how to get rid of it? I specifically told Core Temp not to install it.

howieh
4 more weeks
MVM
join:2000-08-06
Metuchen, NJ

1 recommendation

howieh

MVM

See if either method specified here »java.com/en/download/hel ··· tall.xml will remove it.

onDvine
Grown up Flower Child
Premium Member
So. CA, USA

onDvine

Premium Member

Click for full size
Thank you! But there are problems with both options offered.

My Yahoo Toolbar doesn't have a pencil to click (as you can see) and my Add-Ons are currently not visible (I posted about it a little while ago in the Mozilla forum). Can't tell if it's there.

jaynick
lit up
Premium Member
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI

jaynick

Premium Member

If you go the control panel/programs and features you should see the yahoo toolbar listed, click on that to uninstall. These dang toolbars seem to come with everything nowadays.

onDvine
Grown up Flower Child
Premium Member
So. CA, USA

1 edit

onDvine

Premium Member

It's not there. None of the programs listed were installed today. I wasn't supposed to be installing a toolbar which piggybacked another. I thought I was installing Core Temp.

jaynick
lit up
Premium Member
Sterling Heights, MI

jaynick

Premium Member

Where did you get core temp from?

onDvine
Grown up Flower Child
Premium Member
So. CA, USA

1 edit

onDvine

Premium Member

Here: »www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Here, Yahoo says I should be able to remove it through Firefox Extensions. Am still awaiting help in the Mozilla forum about not being able to see Extensions/Add-Ons.

jaynick
lit up
Premium Member
Sterling Heights, MI

jaynick

Premium Member

That's where I got before, they must have changed something with the toolbars because it's free. Did you see during the installer an option to uncheck the toolbar?

onDvine
Grown up Flower Child
Premium Member
So. CA, USA

onDvine

Premium Member

Yes, I saw an option not to install the Yahoo toolbar and selected whichever one meant I didn't want it. Had to change the default to do it.

jaynick
lit up
Premium Member
Sterling Heights, MI

1 recommendation

jaynick

Premium Member

Sometimes those things hide in system temp folder. Try this: Click start/run then type in %temp% it is safe to delete the contents of that folder. If you get a message something is in use, use the skip option on those.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

1 recommendation

Sunny to onDvine

to onDvine
Also try:

Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features > Uninstall a Program

Scroll down, see if it is there and, if so, choose to uninstall it from there.

onDvine
Grown up Flower Child
Premium Member
So. CA, USA

onDvine

Premium Member

Thanks, but it's not there, Sorto. Already looked a couple of times.
onDvine

1 recommendation

onDvine to jaynick

Premium Member

to jaynick
Will copy instructions to a .txt file and try it with the Firefox window closed. Thanks.
onDvine

onDvine to jaynick

Premium Member

to jaynick
No joy. I've gotta go do a couple of things away from the computer.

jaynick
lit up
Premium Member
Sterling Heights, MI

1 recommendation

jaynick

Premium Member

Bummer I have 1 more thing I can think of, start>search programs and files, type in yahoo and see what results you get.

onDvine
Grown up Flower Child
Premium Member
So. CA, USA

onDvine

Premium Member

Only found the shortcut I saved to remove the Yahoo toolbar.

There's a reply in the Microsoft thread which I'll go check. If it's not an easy fix, will just uninstall Firefox completely and reinstall. It's been in here less than a week and doesn't even have my bookmarks.
onDvine

1 recommendation

onDvine

Premium Member

said by onDvine:

... uninstall Firefox completely and reinstall. ...

It's done and all better.

Santa Fe
BUT.....I Digress!

Freight Yard

2 recommendations

Santa Fe

said by onDvine:

said by onDvine:

... uninstall Firefox completely and reinstall. ...

It's done and all better.

Now to remotely access your computer & add it back in again! Bwa hahahahahahahahahahaha!

onDvine
Grown up Flower Child
Premium Member
So. CA, USA

1 recommendation

onDvine

Premium Member

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

1 recommendation