All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

Annmarie

join:2000-11-11

Annmarie

Re: [OOL] E mail from Cablevision re: newer faster modem

My current non Boost regular speeds are 18704 Kbps/1269 Kbps
with a Scientific Atlantic (I cannot see the rest of the name since it is out of my reach).

New modem is a Touchstone Telephony Modem ARRIS.

If this is a legit swap program I need another modem since we pay for two.
My Dad lives downstairs and wanted his own.
majortom1029
join:2006-10-19
Medford, NY

majortom1029

Are both the same model? I was wondering if you still had an old docsis 1.1 modem.

I am in brookhaven with a docsis 2.0 modem and have not gotten such a notice.

Annmarie

Annmarie

When you say same model do you mean the same modem? The no unless the ARRIS is the same as the Scientific Atlantic.

I know those are just the manufactures though.

ARRIS Touchstone TM822G
Telephony Modem is what is on the inside paperwork.

The only way to see what my current modem is would be to move a very heavy desk.
Let me see if I can Google a picture of it though it looks different of course.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy to majortom1029

MVM

to majortom1029
IIRC the SA modems were all 2.0. The 1.x were Terajet and the Sharkfin and 3Com. I am not sure if there were Motorola 1.X but I do not think there were any.

Could be that if you do a lot of downloading they are updating to prevent DCCs and better manage traffic between the channels.

Also I suspect it would be an area by area thing.

Annmarie

Annmarie

ARRIS TM822 shows no results on the Cablevision site.

Our area was one of the first to receive actual OOL back when I joined DSLR.
I still had dial up and the day OOL became available I bought a self install kit at Nobody Beats the Wiz and installed it in under half an hour.

I do not do a lot of downloading except for audiobooks from the library once a week.
cablewizzard
join:2009-06-14
Woodbury, NY

1 edit

cablewizzard to Annmarie

to Annmarie
said by Annmarie:

If this is a legit swap program I need another modem since we pay for two.
My Dad lives downstairs and wanted his own.

You keep talking about your Cisco DPC2203 modem - and yet seem to infer that you ALREADY have another. If you indeed have two, how did you assume it was the DPC2203 that CV wanted swapped, instead of the the other one?

If the other one is a stinky 8-year-old DOCSIS1.x modem, then THAT was what they wanted you to swap (and apparently their communication to you wasn't suited for a multi-modem household - those seem pretty rare for residential customers).

The DPC2203 is a perfectly fine DOCSIS2.0 modem, and CV most definitely doesn't send out D3 modems unsolicited to replace them.

Edit: I see that you were offered to pick which modem to swap - but it declined to swap against the 2nd, non-OV modem, which is odd, as that is almost certainly the one CV wanted to swap out. You should call in for service (did they give a special # to call in that email? then please use it) to resolve this - you cannot "reswap" modems in this situation on your own. I suggest you have them swap the DPC2203 back into the account to replace your dad's modem.

Annmarie

Annmarie

I have no idea why I assumed it was my upstairs modem rather than my Dad's downstairs modem.
How stupid!
I never even thought it could be that one. Duh!

He is not even using it or his computer since he is very ill right now.

Sigh. I will give them a call in the morning and see what I can do about this.

I wonder why we all received the e mail though.
Annmarie

Annmarie to cablewizzard

to cablewizzard
I did have an e mail conversation with CV asking how I go about replacing my Dad's modem. Here is the reply if it makes any difference:

Thank you for contacting Optimum Online regarding your question about replacing your modem. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you and will be happy to assist.

If you would like to replace your second modem, please feel free to swap it at the nearest walk-in center free of charge. The replacement project we have undertaken is only to replace the original (DOCSIS 2.0) modem. If you are referring to a wireless router, you will need to purchase one at any PC store.
Annmarie

Annmarie to cablewizzard

to cablewizzard
This might be why I assumed it was my upstairs modem - the packing slip for the new modem.

LINE/PART NUMBER/DESCRIPTION
1 Optimum Voice Modem

My Dad does not have OV.
Annmarie

Annmarie to cablewizzard

to cablewizzard
Looks like you are correct.
Thank you - it would never have dawned on me.

I e mailed CV and received this response:
Thank you for contacting Optimum Online regarding your question about your new modem return. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you and will be happy to assist.

I see you have two modems, You can drop the old modem which is called " 3COM Corporation with the MAC ID ######.....

I cannot check my Dad's modem at this time of the night but since I know the one I switched out was a Scientific Atlantic his must be the 3COM.

I will check in the morning.

I am assuming ??? I need to switch back to the SA and switch out his 3COM for the new ARRIS.
Since I had to register it I think a call to Cablevision will be in order if I do not receive a dial tone once the deed is done.

Thanks again. I would hate like hell to have my Dad lose his service because I screwed up.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

I think all you have to do is hook up the SA in place of your dad's modem. You'll get the walled garden that will allow you to re-register the modem on the account in place of the 3Com. You should keep the Arris on your connection as its a better modem and will be up to date for years to come.

I doubt CV cares which modem is the OV modem, they just want that 3Com off their network.
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt

This. There's no reason that you can't re-register that modem now that it's off the account. worst case scenario, hve CV run the modem swap app when you have it hooked up.
cablewizzard
join:2009-06-14
Woodbury, NY

cablewizzard

said by frdrizzt:

This. There's no reason that you can't re-register that modem now that it's off the account. worst case scenario, hve CV run the modem swap app when you have it hooked up.

Annmarie: My advice: leave the D3 OV modem in place where it is right now - you're the more frequent user, so this benefits you: the only reason you received an OV modem to replace the 3com data-only modem was because CV no longer deploys data-only modems.

You're free to try to swap the DPC2203 back in, but last I checked, that doesn't work for self-install - you need to call in to have it swapped in, to replace the 3com : make sure the rep understands from the beginning he's replacing the 3com, NOT the Arris TM822.

Alternatively, you can take both 3Com Sharkfin and DPC2203 to the walk-in center and turn both of them in (they really DO want the DPC2203 back, what they WANTED to allow you to discard or mail back is the 3com modem, not the DPC2203!), and have them give you a replacement for the 3com modem.

It's unfortunate that the reply you received still stated the wrong thing: "The replacement project we have undertaken is only to replace the original (DOCSIS 2.0) modem" : that should have read "DOCSIS 1.x modem".

RARPSL
join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY

1 recommendation

RARPSL to Annmarie

to Annmarie
said by Annmarie:

This might be why I assumed it was my upstairs modem - the packing slip for the new modem.

LINE/PART NUMBER/DESCRIPTION
1 Optimum Voice Modem

My Dad does not have OV.

That does not matter. By ONLY supplying Voice Modems they do not need to stock both Voice and Non-Voice Modems. Also they can later sell you voice without needing to do a Modem Swap.

Annmarie

Annmarie to cablewizzard

to cablewizzard
I am going to leave the D3 OV modem just where it is, upstairs with me.

I am going to replace my Dad's old 3com modem with the modem I just removed from upstairs - the DPC2203- and drop the 3com at CV.

Now the part I do not understand - why cannot I do this all by myself? Why call for service? I remember when I had to have a service call to get OV. Made no sense then and makes no sense now.
Annmarie

Annmarie

E mail to CV asking the above question - can I simply register the modem, call them or ??? and I received the following response:

Thank you for contacting Optimum Online regarding your question about registering the modem. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you and will be happy to assist. You should be able to register is yourself, however if you have any problem don't hesistate to call us.
Annmarie

Annmarie

And now I think the saga has ended.

I removed the 3com, installed the SA and kept the ARRIS upstairs.

Registered the SA at the CV website, surfed around the web a bit, rebooted, surfed a bit more an all seems fine.

I am using the ARRIS right now with no issues so I think my mess here is done.

A non
@151.190.0.x

A non

Anon

Photo from Annmarie's house during the modem swap.
RayGeode
join:2004-07-21
Norwalk, CT

RayGeode to Annmarie

to Annmarie
said by Annmarie:

And now I think the saga has ended.

I removed the 3com, installed the SA and kept the ARRIS upstairs.

Registered the SA at the CV website, surfed around the web a bit, rebooted, surfed a bit more an all seems fine.

I am using the ARRIS right now with no issues so I think my mess here is done.

I enjoyed reading this thread. kudos to your technical prowess, and hope your dad is better.

Annmarie

Annmarie

LOL! I am not so sure about my technical prowess. Very kind of you about my Dad.