Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kilrathi
Premium
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY

[TWC] packet loss / service degraded - amp in rockaway park, ny

As of today I noticed constant packet loss to the tune of 2-8% and on the mainteance page ( »help.rr.com/HMSLogic/network_status.aspx )

It shows this:

Red 5/25/2012 7:45:26 AM AMP OD284D00A - 5422 BEACH CHANNEL DR, FAR ROCKAWAY

Red 5/25/2012 9:08:44 AM 411 BEACH 54TH ST, FAR ROCKAWAY

I am wondering if this is related, anyone else in far rockaway or rockaways area?

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY

1 edit

Re: [TWC] packet loss / service degraded - amp in rockaway park,

tech came today did measurements/readings outside on the pole/node and said things are really bad and thats most likely the reason for errors/packet loss he didnt even need to go inside my house he said. Now supposedly he said after the readings he took and reported within 48 hours a crew should be in area to fix the problem.... I will report how this goes.

Oh and yes packet loss continues, seems the modem cannot handle all the error correction due to whatever problem is occuring locally and worst packet loss occurs during warmest part of the day seems like 10am till 4-5 pm. For past 2 days constant 2-7% packet loss between those hours. Again on my end everything is as perfect as it can be(new line ran directly from pole to my house no splitters, new cable etc) so if this problem cannot be fixed on their end locally that means this area is not truly ready for wideband.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable
reply to kilrathi

I've been having random disconnection problems for a little over a week now. Signal levels looked ok to me, but I'd randomly lose connection and sometimes the modem would randomly reboot itself. The modem's event log would fill up with errors after being online for less than a day.

Ping tests showed between 1 and 6 percent packet loss for the last few days.

I contacted TWC through this site and a tech visit was scheduled for Tuesday. I am hoping the problem is fixable locally.
--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to kilrathi

things were kinda fine tuesday - thrs so i thought they maybe fixed the issue that the tech reported on saturday. However, today its horrible I have horrible latency jitter some sites dont even load it it feels like sometimes i have no connection at all, the modem itself is locked all the time but my packet loss today is constant 4-8% and speeds are flactuating its worse than last week.... trying to reach level 3 to see wwhats going on, they promised this issue to be resolved and tech on saturday told me that based on his readings its a serious problem that requires a bucket crew to come and fix within 48 hours yet the problems continue.

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to kilrathi

Spoke with level 3 and he also notified me that they just added upstream channel bonding thus I noticed my modem now having 2 blue lights but at same time my packet loss problem is all magnified....

Basically downstream is not affected, however upstream is actually slower now than before channel bonding but at same time there is constant packet loss on the upstream about 5% average and there is horrible ping jitter occuring..... horrible state of affairs on nyc time warner twc here in rockaway park, ny lately.

Glad they rolled out upstream channel bonding while their infastructure has large problems.

Oh and again signal levels and power levels are all perfect the issue is on the local lines here, last week they said some amp had to be adjusted but it seems the solution was short lived and now with upstream channel bonding rolled out the problem seems worse than before.

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to kilrathi

seems the upstream error rate occured friday between 6 and 10 pm so that may also be related to peak time, so far today its been fine but problems starting to occur again since 5pm....

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY

3 edits
reply to kilrathi

Techs were here today even their foreman they made sure everything is fine on my end as far as wiring/modem and took readings at the pole they said that if anything it could be network problem locally.

Anyways, another day and problems continue:

All the packet loss/errors occuring on the upstream which prevents me from being able to broadcast gaming events through streaming and playing game itself online properly.

I am waiting on further action but I am beginning to think the infastructure itself on TW network at least in this area simply cannot handle wideband / upstream channel bonding considering that was just implemented and now I am having problems with upstream all the time.... Not the kind of service I expect for 100$ a month.

Based on line quality tests and traceroute I believe the upstream packet loss occurs at this local tw hops:

bun6-nyquny91-rtr001.nyc.rr.com
bun6-nyquny91-rtr002.nyc.rr.com

considering fios is still not available even though they been digging and laying it down my only option so that i can operate normally without packet loss is to downgrade package to non bonding one although all packages use docsis 3 now right? so i wonder if that would make differnece, but i am lost at what to do, twc simply cannot provide reliable service so far.

Wow this packet loss continues even at 1am..... this is far worse than I have seen so far, ridiculous

»/pingtest/85cb···/2909118

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

Give them time to work it out is what I can say. If they *JUST* turned on Upstream bonding there's probably a bit of work they have to do to get it fixed. That's sort of a new system for them to toss out into the field so I'm sure bugs are bound. I don't know if my area has that enabled yet, but it seems they're doing it in the busiest locations first from what I can tell.

Good luck on the FiOS when it shows up though

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY

4 edits
reply to kilrathi

It seems now the upstream packet loss and latency jitter is occuring for past 2 days at around peak times or from 9pm est till 4-5 am est..... same thing is occuring tonight as it was happening last night.

I really hope this is not new pattern.... when I called TWC to have my problem fixed I didnt anticipate that it would result in having the problem occur at the time I have been stream broadcasting.... which now will not be possible.

I have been testing and basically at

930pm est - packet loss on the upstream started at around 1-2% constantly
950pm EST - its up to 2-4%.......
1000pm EST - 3-5% and latency jitter is getting worse, pages wont open sometimes.

Look at this result at 10pm est:

»/pingtest/5a66···/2909309

low bandwidth stream
10s of 512 byte packets at 56 kbit 5%

medium bandwidth stream
10s of 512 byte packets at 128 kbit 3%

higher bandwidth stream
10s of 1400 byte packets at 384 kbit 3%

And notice:

3rd hop from me that has horrible packet loss at this hour:

10 bun6-nyquny91-rtr001.nyc.rr.com 7% packet loss

and currently packet loss to me is as high as 10%

nice service on wideband here I have. Clearly its congestion at peak time problem, but the fact its affecting upstream only as far as packet loss is definitely wierd, and this is happening more since upstream channel bonding.

Based on traceroutes packet loss seems to occur around

bun113.nyquny91-rtr001.nyc.rr.com

hops which is 3rd hop from me on rr network and that seems to be queens ny tw some router.

And here is another pingtest at 10:15 pm its even worse:

»/pingtest/2···/2909318

update:

12:55am EST and problems still as bad as at 10pm.... constant 3-10% packet loss and latency jitter, when I tried to broadcast a stream at midnight I actually hit 0 upstream speed every few moments and basically it was not really worth trying.

1:46am EST and problems are still horrible look at this....

»/pingtest/3a58···/2909360

AND THIS IS AT nearly 2 am..............

Woke up and did test at 4am.... »/pingtest/3···/2909378

not sure what to make of this

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY

1 edit
reply to kilrathi

3rd day since the problems started and already problems occuring again..... since 9pm EST I am getting 5%+ packet loss.

I have called Local Level 3 tech and he confirmed the issue looking at my modem, basically said he sees constant 8% packet loss occuring on the upstream and since he had logging on my account he confirmed the problem is occuring every night from 9pm till 6 am

I just did this test right now :

»/pingtest/b795···/2909631

Horrible horrible situation the person I spoke with was lost at what to do but I am replacing modem tomorrow (futile but something i want to make sure is done) and will speak with clients relations in order to get a plant person to come and possibly replace all my lines on the house again.

However, as I said signals and power levels are all perfect and this simply looks like a congestion issue on tw network.

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to kilrathi

my page froze due my connection being crap and it resulted in double post so had to edit this, sorry.

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY

1 edit
reply to kilrathi

Today I have replaced modem for a brand new one (6580) just to cover all the bases but already at 10pm EST packet loss is back.

Already based on line tests I have packet loss in range of 5-15% on the uptream.

Main points where tests hit the issue seems to be:

bun6-nyquny91-rtr001.nyc.rr.com 14% packet loss

(thats the 3rd hop from me)

I will be contacting client relations regarding field operations which supposed to be in area to see if they plan to do anything. To me this looks like a clear overload/congestion issue but maybe since only upstream is affected maybe recent channel bonding on the upstream is related to this problem....

Another day when I am unable to do my regular broadcasts. I wont mention playing games online with this packet loss often u issue command or press something and its never registered.

I will continue to monitor since today I noticed moments where all the packet loss would be gone for few minutes but then it was back.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11

"To me this looks like a clear overload/congestion issue but maybe since only upstream is affected maybe recent channel bonding on the upstream is related to this problem...."

Overload and congestion does not show up at 10pm, it shows up at 4 pm.

"he confirmed the problem is occuring every night from 9pm till 6 am"

Congestion issues do not happen till 6 am.

None of your ping tests show any signs of congestion.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY

4 edits
reply to kilrathi

You are correct, however the problems started to happen since sunday and upstream channel bonding became live over weekend.

I have logging enabled on tw side, local level 3 tech told me that there is clear 10% average packet loss on upstream based on modem logs between 9-10pm and 5-6am for past 4 days. I understand congestion may not be direct cause but the problem is occuring around similar time. Further, my wiring is all new installed and I have dedicated line ran from pole to my apt no splitters except the one tech installed he said because signal is too strong. I have replaced modem and the problem is still occuring I am not imagining it(something one of the techs that was here sunday tried to tell me lol) the logs prove me right. The modem itself is unable to keep up with errors on the upstream and it results in horrible packet loss. Trying to broadcast a stream or play online games with this is quite frankly terrible.

This week I been in contact with client relations and its possible that tech will cut down all the new wire already installed and redo installation but I will concentrate more on them taking readings on the pole/node itself and maybe changing location where I am connected, because if this is not congestion problem then it has to be something local on the pope, 2 weeks ago they did find a serious reading problem but since they said some amp was corrected, although I have a feeling something is still off on that end.

This is 120am EST - »/pingtest/aab2···/2910107

4am EST -
»/pingtest/792a···/2910132

Now look at 5:40am EST - things got pretty clean:
»/pingtest/6583···/2910144

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY

3 edits
reply to kilrathi

Things getting even worse, problem is occuring already today at 5pm EST.... client relations told me they will come up with how to tackle the problem tomorrow so it seems to me it will be a weekend when I cannot do my usual things online such as broadcasting and gaming.
9pm - again problems continue and on line tests it always shows packet loss occuring quite a lot at the same hops on tw network, and anytime that happens I get also packet loss on the upstream...

bun113.nyquny91-rtr001.nyc.rr.com

»/pingtest/9826···/2910403

245am friday june 8 - »/pingtest/5797···/2910482

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY

4 edits
reply to kilrathi

I think I am pretty sure the issue lies in bad upstream power level/rf impairment. I remember always having T3 timeout errors in modem logs but never really thought of that much. Well it turns out those erorrs have to do with upstream problems and modem trying to correct rf/power levels. Considering my current problems deal with upstream packet loss only this fits.

Further, this problem is now occuring every night 9pm till 5-6 am so its possible combined with already weak power level on upstream path streelights at night could be emitting a lot of ingress into the upstream on the pole itself causing problem being more apparent in those hours. Plus you add the fact the problem became horrible ever since upstream bonding came into effect that could explain why ever since that occured problems magnified.

Tech will be here tomorrow, I will have him run brand new wire/connectors on the house and hopefully also have him take readings on the pole where my line is connected and maybe hook it up into different spot, I am lost as what else could be done to fix this.

UPDATE:

-> Streetlights went ON around this time:
»/pingtest/9826···/2910403

-> Middle of the night
»/pingtest/5797···/2910482

->as soon as Streetlights went OFF things got pretty clean:
»/pingtest/4224···/2910504

could be just coincidence who knows, either way i have upstream signal/power issues, I really wish I could see signals on this wideband modem because earlier in the week every time I called escalation center they told me signals are great but last night lady told me my upstream power levels/signals were bad yet entire week I had problems occur in similar fashion.

UPDATE: friday.

I spoke with escalation team right after and looking at the modem he did confirm that on 3 out of 4 upstream channels bonded power level is out of spec.

client relations person told me engineering team will be out here sometime today or tomorrow to correct upstream power noise/problem I am holding hope they can fix the problem.

so far friday 930pm est and problem is still present as the errors already starting as usual to grow at this hour:

»/pingtest/7978···/2910719

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY

1 edit
reply to kilrathi

I spoke with escalation center tech today and going over signal levels and logs he said that even my downstream signal specs go out of spec sometimes although its mostly upstream that has constant power level problems and large flactuations. Considering I am on direct connection to the pole with new wire this must be occuring locally on where i am conneted to the pole. I will know more monday whether anything was done to correct the issue.

Meanwhile I also ordered a review with verizon fios whether I can get fios on my house(fios is here just not every house can have it atm), will know more mid week. I rather stay with tw if they could fix the issues though but this weekend I was unable to broadcast/cast a coh and mowas tournaments due to the upstream problems which was a big deal to me. This cannot continue.

Sunday and problems are even worse.... already at 7:30pm EST.... I am gonna try to get a tech in last ditch effort if the engineering ticket dont fix anything and get him to alter where I am hooked up its clearly noise(large flactuation)/signal problem on the pole or spot where I am hooked up since I am directly hooked up without splitters and it does no good. Question is how long will it take for TW to fix this... One thing for sure I am not paying a cent until this is fixed and I also looking at what FIOS determines on my house mid week.

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY

4 edits
reply to kilrathi

Can barely browse internet, opening these forums was a feat in itself. Tonight problems continue...

»/pingtest/6652···/2911292

»/pingtest/3c8a···/2911308

That test is me connected directly without splitters to a new wire that runs about 30 feet to a pole on street hooked up there.... escalation center tech told me my signal levels flactuate crazy especially upstream, and upstream power levels hit out of spec causing error rate on upstream to hit really bad levels.... this is clearly issue on the pole(maybe where i am hooked up to)/local line here. Been over a week and so far noone have managed to go up there and maybe hook me up to another spot or correct the issue. Wonder how this week will go.... will speak to customer relations on monday regarding the engineering team reference made on friday, wonder if they did anything at all...

Insane, at midnight I have constant 4-10% packet loss and getting a lot of webpages timing out partially not loading barely can do anything on this so called "ultimate internet" as TW puts it..... sad

update 22amEST

overnight today is worse than before.... it only seems like things are getting worse.... I hit 15% packet loss on the upstream near constantly between midnight and 2 am I never seen it this high, tried playing some games online forget about that, i would drop and often things would just warp or things would occur that i never even commanded... broadcasting stream for tournaments impossible it keeps cutting off and dropping ton of packets. If I wanted internet performing like this I would go with a dial up.

Still nothing done....

Monday....

»/pingtest/b8c7···/2911641

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY

2 edits
reply to kilrathi

been promised something is being done, tonight same problems been occuring and now overnight even total loss of connection, i hope thats a sign something was being worked on because this is horrible.

Normally the noise on the upstream resulting in packet loss on upstream occurs between 9pm and 5am but today its just as bad even at 7am...

sb 6141 is arriving today, i will give it a spin see if it can tolerate the noise/power level flactuations on upstream better than 6580 but unless tw actually fixes the problem locally here on the line I doubt it will matter. I will report back once 6141 is provisioned. I am trying everything I can...

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY

2 edits
reply to kilrathi

9am....

Yesterday at 9am it was 1% the most but now its definitely getting worse, my downstream signals are 14dbmv with about 39snr (about same on all channels) but base on what escalation center tech told me upstream snr is very bad, and power levels for 3 out of 4 channels on upstream flactuate by about 20 dbmv inside hour based on logs.

Waiting on something to be done by TW. Tech also said there is simply large noise on the upstream signal. Since i am hooked directly with cable from my apt, through window to the pole *without* any splitters and the cable wire itself is all new the issue has to be on the pole/tw locally here.... Escalation center tech said that has to be clearly the case but he said I have to rely on customer relations to actually push through some kind of engineering order or tech to fix this.... waiting another day to find out if that was finalized yet. Will have 6141 later to see how that modem handles this signal but I have low hopes.

update:

I spoke with another escalation team tech and he confirmed that there is packet loss on the upstream on a node local to me, however he also said the SNR for the upstream on my modem is out of spec. Notes been sent to the plant regarding fixing the issue with packet loss on the upstream on the node itself I was told and a tech will come tomorrow to see if he can hook me up in different spot on the pole itself to correct upstream SNR value.

When I asked what is the SNR value for upstream on my modem he said he cannot give me that information because its proprietary information. Weird... I heard that with comcast when people call to ask about their upstream snr its no problem.

So now will be hard for me to actually know whether the tech who will attempt to fix where i am connected on the pole actually do any good since I have no idea what the upstream snr on my modem was before and after....

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY

4 edits
reply to kilrathi

Tech was here to correct upstream power level and he figured out the problem, power level is now in the middle of ranges, all signals look good, however even though for 2 days thing were fine, tonight packet loss is creeping back up again:

»/pingtest/8···/2912630

I was told 2 days ago that there is also packet loss problem on the node, and it seems that is still not fixed....

I have also called to have my sb6141 provisioned so I can see the signal levels myself but was told its gonna take 72 hours for it to be done so waiting till current modem goes offline and then I will know to try and hook up the new one.

Friday problem is still occuring overnight:

»/pingtest/27bb···/2912927

It maybe lesser by about 1-2% avg than last week but this is still breaking gameplay in some games and affecting broadcasting a stream since the problem occurs on the upstream.

Escalation center tech today told me that even though my signal specs are great and tuesday things based on logs were great one of the upstream channels still goes out of spec on snr at night and there is clear issue on the pole in the area itself because the upstream snr value doesnt match the area.

So now I have to wait this weekend and endure another weekend of packet loss until I can call client relations again on monday to make sure plant technician is sent to take readings on the pole and make corrections, only client relations can schedule this, escalation center tech did add notes to make sure its done but I have to wait till monday.

»/pingtest/398a···/2912958

»/pingtest/6c56···/2912964

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to kilrathi

pattern is same with this problem:
during the night around same time as streetlights are on one of the upstream channels (4 bonded) goes out of spec on SNR(as told by escalation center and confirmed for 3 different nights vs days) while all other signal specs are within or close to perfection. This causes error rates that cause upstream drops and packet loss in range of 5-10% entire night or 9pm - 5am.

during the day between 5am-9pm that one upstream channel goes close or within snr and while according to escalation center there are still uncorrectables occuring its minor and thus connection during the day is pretty much smooth, can stream broadcast at 3000kbit without drops.

I thought this maybe temperature related but during last 3 weeks there were days when it was quite cool and hot and pattern never really break. So this is either related to interference such as streetlights or something that goes on at night every time, or maybe sun?

Either way this is clearly issue with interference at the pole either directly where I am hooked up or on the way to the node. I hope to get a plant tech to attempt to fix this. Its so frustrating when every day after 9pm (which is peak time for gaming especially when I am to broadcast and spectate clan matches etc....) I am unable to use connection as I normally would.

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to kilrathi

8:49pm tonight right before street lights inculuding the light on the pole where my cable is hooked to tw cable line

»/pingtest/3656···/2913350

8:52pm about a minute after street light went on, packet loss and noise is instantly on:

»/pingtest/9969···/2913352

The thing is this will get worse by 10pm, its possible that noise builds up not sure, but its been like this for past 3 weeks and I got he pattern down now.

Here is heart of the night:

»/pingtest/6c56···/2912964

Again, upstream is where the noise occurs and errors.

Again, every day 1 or more upstream channels go out of spec as far as upstream SNR (according to escalation center tech) while power levels are right i the middle, downstream is perfect.

Anyone have idea why would possibly street light cause this? Of course it could be something else thats related but basically as soon as street lights are on my internet is useless when it comes to gaming as this upstream packet loss grows up to as high as 10-15% between 10-11pm and 4am EVERY NIGHT.

xwaretech

join:2011-01-30
Bedford, OH
reply to kilrathi

download is unaffected in this? but upload is? It sounds like the bonding isn't configured correctly. Provisioning the modem with dual speed at the same frequency will cause a "Hiccup" on most streams. It seems that's when the modem goes into "Off-Peak" mode. Street lights come on (aka offpeak hours) tend to mean they have a feral switch that is time delayed for settings. Usually done through networks to shut down certain spots, or relieve some of the stress on others (think a flood gate in terms). With the bonding it's tricky though, if your settings are set a specific way, it will kick you in the rump, otherwise you won't see or feel a damn thing if they are offset correctly. I would call up the modem manufacture and ask them what the proper bonding frequency for your area is, if time warner won't lol, especially since it's "Secret"

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY

1 edit
reply to kilrathi

Considering this problem and this pattern started when upstream channel bonding was enabled there is possiblity that something is not configured properly for the area here but I still feel there is some ingress/leakage maybe on the pole where I am connected or in local area that cauases this. I am trying to find out more information today and see what can be done... further the 6141 I called to have provisioned on thursday last week is still not provisioned, was told takes max 72 hours been longer than that so I will try to get that looked at in today as well. Priority though is the issue with upstream packet loss every night for past 3 weeks.

update

Just spoke with client relations and was told that need a supervisor to come out again to check the pole and it seems I will have to wait entire week for him to come out friday, however based on the notes and what is known I was also told this maybe resolved from plant side(no promises were made but was told its possible). I hope noone has to go through this kind of problem as me because its definitely frustrating. I really hope this week will be the week this is resolved.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

said by kilrathi:

further the 6141 I called to have provisioned on thursday last week is still not provisioned, was told takes max 72 hours been longer than that so I will try to get that looked at in today as well.

Should take about 15 minutes. Which department are you talking to? Maybe try getting to the billing department which is what I did. Tell them you have a new customer owned modem you need to add to your account.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY

I spoke with escalation center, and yes I know it takes few minutes to get it down, I was told it should be done by end of today....

Also I was informed there was plant tech to visit me tomorrow regarding issue with the pole and upstream signal noise at night but then that was canceled and supposedly someone will investigate this issue at the plant and area, supposedly this could be some "high voltage interference" as I was told.... I supposed to get update during the week.

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY

4 edits
reply to kilrathi

Problems continue.... still nothing fixed, today things got so bad pages stop loading and on speed tests after it got going i would hit close to max download speed but upload test would just say connecting..... and never even start. On my broadcasting software xsplit and wirecast when i tried to do stream and test upload i would hit 0kbps.... 0kbps.....

Barely able to browse internet.... 50/5 package

»/pingtest/33c3···/2913958

Escalation center told me upstream SNR is again below specs, he said its dipping below 18 while by their spec upstream SNR in my case should be at least 24 for upstream. Horrible situation. Waiting to talk to client relations again tomorrow whether anything was attempted by plant tech yet or whats going on.

Escalation center tech also told me that plant tech really should trace upstream frequencies on poles and locally see where the noise occurs because clearly its something on the poles/lines locally.

However, the way this is treated so far is that nothing is really done where the problem clearly is occuring at the tw line here locally maybe the pole where i am hooked up or maybe on the next one, either way clearly something here locally causes very bad noise and thus large upstream snr drop. Talking to client relations and escalation techs back and forth is getting really tiring... i am waiting for time warner to actually fix the problem, signal quality and noise on their lines is their responsibility.

I am really trying and I mean really trying to do everything I possibly can to help tw fix this, I am patient and in contact, techs did all that can be done on my house wiring and I think I now have best wiring in the neighborhood, the only problem is that solution to this upstream noise can only be found on the tw line locally here. I have been unable to broadcast/cast many games for past 3 weeks due to this, not to mention play games, and now I just lost a bid to run upcoming coh tournament and cast it live. Very dissapointed but still trying to have hope for future....

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to kilrathi

So tech hooked up my line to another pole/tap today.

Now things are good so far tonight....

However, I think I may know also why at least for the moment....

Before today constant upstream snr problems and here are the signal stats for my modem during that time more or less:

And here are signals tonight after techs hooked me up to different pole and tap:

Now notice the upstream modulation all 4 channels currently have maximum modulation of 16 QAM but before my modem would have 2 channels locked with modulation of 64 QAM. Now based on this chart:

»/r0/download/2···20PM.png

Now for 64 QAM modulation upstream SNR minimum is 24dB and recommended 27dB while for 16 QAM minimum is 18.... thats a big difference.

Considering tech told me yesterday that my upstream snr would drop below 20 that definitely caused modulations with 64QAM not working properly too much noise but for 16 QAM modulations thats fine it seems.

Of course one would wonder why hooking up the modem to differnet pole and tap would make modem receive different modulation config/ranging so I also think something was done on the plant side. I am pretty sure this was reason for the problem but I also wonder if this will stay this way. Either way I am pretty sure that if I see upstream modulations go to 64QAM again I will have problems based on what upstream SNR is on lines here for those frequencies.

I looked into the other thread and there is someone who posted his upstream modulation stats in nyc:

»Re: upstream bonding in NYC

In that his max for upstream channels is also 16QAM so I am not sure why my modem was locking 64 QAM before when clearly upstream snr here is too low for that to operate.

Either way tonight for the first time in 3 weeks I have no upstream issues with packet loss or speed but I also clearly see why. I really hope they keep maximum modulation for upstream channels here at 16 because upstream SNR in my area is simply too low(I was told about 18-20).

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY

2 edits
reply to kilrathi

Noticed a pattern this seems to be some kind of load balancing or adjustment based on conditions, every night form 8pm till 5-6 am all my upstream modulations are max 16QAM, but other time of day 2 of them go up to 64QAM. I have no problems with connection since that kicked in as well, however same day I was hooked up to another tap and pole so not sure what really did it.