me2...my problem was fixed 2 weeks ago.
However, it just back again.

kilrathi
Premium
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY

1 edit
reply to kilrathi

Problems where T3 time out errors would spam and packet loss on the upstream got crazy for past 5 days always would peak around 6pm EST, maybe something with amplifier changing settings or something going on, however today the problem is going on since 9am EST for 2 + hours already. I am tired of how often problems occur nowdays with time warner cable.

There is an issue indicated in Far Rockaway and I hope its related to my problem because entire day I have packet loss on the upstream its so bad sometimes everything just stops working no data flows at all. I have called l3 tech to schedule a tech so that in case this doesnt clear I can being the process of them doing something about it. Of course l3 tech was clueless and it wasnt anyone that I spoke with before so maybe I was redirected to some other center because the technican I spoke with today was clueless about what an upstream is.

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY

4 edits
reply to kilrathi

upload plot of current connection (22.1kbps)
I don't know whats going on here today but woah, right now T3 timeout errors stopped since hour ago on the modem but the connection itself is just touch and go things just "freeze" even during speed test it will hit max speed for moment and then just freeze at 0 and upstream test doesnt even get to test. Opening sites I have to refresh multiple times because sites dont load fully or at all and sometimes I get error saying stuff like bad gateway or firewall but on my end there is no difference, entire day as I said earlier there were ton of T3 time out errors but now that stopped but connection is just freezing constanty and maybe this is problem on the tw network and not between me and plant, hard to say.

When I do trace the traceroute literally freezes on hop 4 or 5 which is still in tw network, and I dont mean it times out with "*" response the traceroute completely freezes for like 20-30 seconds before continuing

UPDATE:

I just spoke with another level 3 tech and this one noticed the problem rigth away, it actually took me about 5 minutes to load any website again but he said that something is horribly wrong on my end again, my upstream SNR he said is now below 18.... when it should be at least 26.... He advised me to call client releations to see if I can get a tech visit faster tha monday because at this rate I have nearly useless internet, he also tried rebooting the modem from his side and it took about 10 minutes for the modem to lock as it kept "bouncing" or whatever he was talking about.

Funny that Back in may when this thread started this was the exact same problem, snr use to drop below 18 on upstream and over summer supposedly plant tech fixed it, and yet now in october same thing is occuring.... sigh as I have mentioned earlier I never had such terrible year with time warner before as this year.

FOR The first time ever I seen error liket his in my modem log too:

4-Error I271.0 T6 Timeout and retries exceeded
3-Critical I02.0 REG RSP not received

besides the usual t3 time out errors...

Currently all the upstream speed tests either freeze or just say "working" and thats it, one that did give result was 22.1 kbps...

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable
reply to kilrathi

said by kilrathi See Profile
There is an issue indicated in Far Rockaway...

That's odd. I'm in Far Rockaway and my service has been pretty good for a while now (a few weeks, at least). I had some slow-downs Sunday night, but otherwise it's back to normal.
--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY

Its actually seagart ave near far rockaway, its still shown on network mainteance page, but I doubt its related to my problems and its good chance its only limited to that area. But my problems are horrible right now.

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY

1 edit
reply to kilrathi

Today same exact problem is occuring as yesterday t3 time out errors and upstream packet loss during day, wonder if at evening and night i will have unusuable connection and no upstream at all basically again. Calling client relations now to see if I can speed up truck roll and whole process sigh

Saturday, same thing continuing...

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to kilrathi

I spoke with a very informative level 3 tech today and he looked at my upstream snr history for past week or so and he even remembers me from talking in the summer. He was suprised noone resolved my issue yet. He looked at all the 4 upstream ports as he sees them on the tool he was using and basically all 4 are constantly below 26dB SNR, at the time I called it was at 20 and one of the upstream channels was as low as 17. I made sure he added those notes so that the regular tech that comes tomorrow does his job and based on this refers this to plant because him and me agreed that only a plant tech resolve this issue. This is clearly a problem on time warner end, its a clear issue its not some mysterious problem where I complain about speed, UPSTREAM SNR SUPPOSED TO BE AT LEAST 26dB by TW specs for customer and my upstream SNR is around 20 average dips below 18 at times. THIS IS SOMETHING only a tw plant tech can fix and yet they still making me go through loops before I can get plant technician sent here. Tomorrow gotta keep calling client relations until I speak to someone who can do something to help and also tech visit I hope he can look up at the notes level 3 put on my account.

I am highly frustrated at time warner inability to fix a clear issue on the local lines here which results in upstream snr being way out of spec.

Expand your moderator at work

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to kilrathi

Re: [TWC] packet loss / service degraded - amp in rockaway park,

Follow up.

A regular tech that was very smart and understood the situation came today a person whom I seen before over summer. He took readings at my apt, on the ground block and at the tap itself. He also followed up with logged data for my upstream snr which shows that upstream snr is out of spec every day between 6pm and 7am. Other time of the day its about borderline at 26dB. He forwarded all that information and a plant tech supposed to come out tomorrow. He also said that right at the tap where I am hooked up, right there there is broken port where one tap is totally unusable and thus cannot be terminated properly which right there could cause some noise, thats a first thing plant tech should fix and after that a plant tech will have to monitor after 6pm to see where the noise is that causes the upstream snr to go so much out of spec.

I have hope progress now can be made on this, will follow up with client relations regarding plant tech job # which I have now written down.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15
reply to kilrathi

said by kilrathi:

I am highly frustrated at time warner inability to fix a clear issue on the local lines here which results in upstream snr being way out of spec.

I wonder how much of it is caused by repetitive theft and/or vandalism which is causing the upstream SNR problems.

There were areas I worked where the minute I disco'd an illegal and left, the thief would snap off the locking terminator and reconnect.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY

True, but in case here I am guessing the reason is more likely a lot of mess on the taps themselves, just the pole I am hooked up the tech that was taking measurements found a broken port that he was unable to terminate and he already noted it to be replaced because it can cause noise to enter the system. But if u go around some blocks here there are literally wires hanging everywhere cut off still hooked up to taps. Yes, theft is also a problem I am sure as often people move out and cable is left hooked to the premises and new peopel who move in often hook up tv or other things without even paying for any of it. Some people may even put in amplifiers without any permission setc.

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to kilrathi

Click for full size
current state of the upstream graph
So, today Tuesday oct 16 as I came home at around 3 pm I saw 2 time warner plant tech trucks near the pole and tap that I am hooked to. I spoke with them and basically they were just replacing the broken port on the tap I am hooked to because the broken one couldnt be terminated and that can possibly cause noise, although this was just something to be done and chances this was causing the problem are basically close to none. The plant technician was very informative and I spoke with him for while, he aknowledged that they need to send a plant tech in the evening and have him monitor the region upstream in order to try and catch where the problem lies. I asked him why do I still have to fight for that to be done even though the data logs clearly show there is problem every night for 12 hours where upstream snr on all upstream channels is about 17-20db, he said I have to get in touch with foreman... He also said if he was to guess as to the reason for the problem he would say its illegal equipment hooked up by someone in the region or problem on the laser itself on way to the plant.

Now, to add insult to injury I go online today and find I have nearly no upload speed and about 30% packet loss on the upstream already at 4pm. I called level 3 and spoke to a person whom I spoke with many times before over summer. He indicated to me that he sees massive data loss on the upstream on the node/region and not just me, snr on the region is way out of spec for the upstream signal and not just my modem and thus this seems to be bigger issue than just me. He verified nothing was being done that be causing this like mainteance etc and promised he would start escalating this on his end to the engineering. However, he warned me that even though data loss is bad on the region engineering could still reject to fix this(what the h?) so he told me to keep pressing client relations to send foreman and another plant technician at evening to hunt down the source that causes upstream snr to dip below 20...

He told me to wait on the phone as he studied logs and charts for the node and my region for about 5 minutes and he verified that basically all the data indicates the upstream issue is regional to me and occuring sine july(something I already could tell based by my troubles). He did admit that its 'ridiculous' that nothing been done about this for so long.

I tried calling client relations today to see what next step is and what else should I expect but after 2 calls of about 25 minutes waiting on the line I gave up calling today as its now past the hours client relations normally operate.

It is interesting that this upstream issue is regional to me and for example today there was a clear large data loss on the upstream and basically this same issue been going on for months now, I am hoping this endless cycle of problems finally comes to an end in near future. I been copying my post to clipboard before i submit because chance is I may have to do this few times before it actually works with current state of my connection.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15

1 recommendation

reply to kilrathi

said by kilrathi:

True, but in case here I am guessing the reason is more likely a lot of mess on the taps themselves, just the pole I am hooked up the tech that was taking measurements found a broken port that he was unable to terminate and he already noted it to be replaced because it can cause noise to enter the system.

A single illegal can do it. If the taps are a mess as you say, then it'll take a concerted effort of multiple techs and departments to not only find the source(s) of noise causing low SNR but keep the noise out.

Plant/system Maintenance techs are constantly chasing noise from bad installs and disco's in addition to the illegal connections done by breaking the "closed" system. It gets overwhelming quickly if EVERY tech that touches the system doesn't follow the installation rules or illegals are allowed to flourish...

The following shots were sent to me this morning by a Maintenance tech I know. The single illegal thought he was being smart using the oversize roach clip to keep his drop connected to the tap port he broke. The noise it added to the system killed the upstream SNR on all the upstream channels from an average around 30dB to below 20dB on 4 different nodes that were combined in the headend. It looks like he hooked up at around 8am last Thursday and it was caught and fixed by 2pm that day:

Offending illegal connection

Return spectrum monitor

Illegal connection causing upstream noise

I sincerely wish you good luck in your quest for a good connection. The pics above were caused by a single moron stealing ANALOG TV signal. He didn't care or know about the hundreds of other TV, modem, and phone customers' service he broke.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to kilrathi

Click for full size
October 18 tw plant team findings
So today I was told there will be plant/engineering tech team that will arrive and try to resolve the issue I reported and issue submitted about return path noise in the region by escalation team.

At around 4pm as I just got home and started to do laundry I noticed 3 time warner plant tech vans doing work at street where fiber comes(i will restrain from pointing out actual street numbers to ensure privacy). I spoke with them and they told me they see the problem and will continue to go tap by tap/pole by pole and see if they can find where the noise on return path is caused. After 4 hours(I have observed them from balcony and walked by few times as they moved street by street, noticed they have very nice system that shows basically google maps like view and stats). They cut off few old cables replaced some bad taps but the return path noise was still coming and going, they finally narrowed the problem to a tap on one of the streets(2 streets away from me), when they unhooked entire line the return path was clear, when they plugged it in the problem was back. They finally narrowed it down to a tap and line going to an small apartment house. After unhooking the line and verifying the services paid for at the addres were still online with dispatch they determined the line was illegal and thus left it unhooked. Based on stats with the illegal line unhooked return path was clean and there was a big difference in stats, with the illegal line hooked to tap return path snr would jump between 26 and 20 on the region while when it was unhooked it was steady 30. I did not wanna get too much in their way, but they did tell me that the illegal line hooked to tap was the source of the noise they saw and they will pursue this address through the right process and monitor it for next week or 2 to make sure noone hooks the device or devices that caused the problem to another line at the address.

Currently, I have no problems with the connection but I will give it few full days and then find out from l3 actual logs for upstream snr to see whether there is clear difference, but all things currently point that a single illegal line was causing the return path problems.

cissjbk

join:2010-11-17
Irmo, SC
reply to kilrathi

I hope they prosecute the thieves to the fullest extent of the law... God only knows how much money it cost the company, and how much your time, and the other folks affected by this, is worth.