share rss forum feed

kilrathi
Premium
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY

4 edits
reply to kilrathi

Re: [TWC] packet loss / service degraded - amp in rockaway park,

Tech was here to correct upstream power level and he figured out the problem, power level is now in the middle of ranges, all signals look good, however even though for 2 days thing were fine, tonight packet loss is creeping back up again:

»/pingtest/8···/2912630

I was told 2 days ago that there is also packet loss problem on the node, and it seems that is still not fixed....

I have also called to have my sb6141 provisioned so I can see the signal levels myself but was told its gonna take 72 hours for it to be done so waiting till current modem goes offline and then I will know to try and hook up the new one.

Friday problem is still occuring overnight:

»/pingtest/27bb···/2912927

It maybe lesser by about 1-2% avg than last week but this is still breaking gameplay in some games and affecting broadcasting a stream since the problem occurs on the upstream.

Escalation center tech today told me that even though my signal specs are great and tuesday things based on logs were great one of the upstream channels still goes out of spec on snr at night and there is clear issue on the pole in the area itself because the upstream snr value doesnt match the area.

So now I have to wait this weekend and endure another weekend of packet loss until I can call client relations again on monday to make sure plant technician is sent to take readings on the pole and make corrections, only client relations can schedule this, escalation center tech did add notes to make sure its done but I have to wait till monday.

»/pingtest/398a···/2912958

»/pingtest/6c56···/2912964

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to kilrathi
pattern is same with this problem:
during the night around same time as streetlights are on one of the upstream channels (4 bonded) goes out of spec on SNR(as told by escalation center and confirmed for 3 different nights vs days) while all other signal specs are within or close to perfection. This causes error rates that cause upstream drops and packet loss in range of 5-10% entire night or 9pm - 5am.

during the day between 5am-9pm that one upstream channel goes close or within snr and while according to escalation center there are still uncorrectables occuring its minor and thus connection during the day is pretty much smooth, can stream broadcast at 3000kbit without drops.

I thought this maybe temperature related but during last 3 weeks there were days when it was quite cool and hot and pattern never really break. So this is either related to interference such as streetlights or something that goes on at night every time, or maybe sun?

Either way this is clearly issue with interference at the pole either directly where I am hooked up or on the way to the node. I hope to get a plant tech to attempt to fix this. Its so frustrating when every day after 9pm (which is peak time for gaming especially when I am to broadcast and spectate clan matches etc....) I am unable to use connection as I normally would.

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to kilrathi
8:49pm tonight right before street lights inculuding the light on the pole where my cable is hooked to tw cable line

»/pingtest/3656···/2913350

8:52pm about a minute after street light went on, packet loss and noise is instantly on:

»/pingtest/9969···/2913352

The thing is this will get worse by 10pm, its possible that noise builds up not sure, but its been like this for past 3 weeks and I got he pattern down now.

Here is heart of the night:

»/pingtest/6c56···/2912964

Again, upstream is where the noise occurs and errors.

Again, every day 1 or more upstream channels go out of spec as far as upstream SNR (according to escalation center tech) while power levels are right i the middle, downstream is perfect.

Anyone have idea why would possibly street light cause this? Of course it could be something else thats related but basically as soon as street lights are on my internet is useless when it comes to gaming as this upstream packet loss grows up to as high as 10-15% between 10-11pm and 4am EVERY NIGHT.

xwaretech

join:2011-01-30
Bedford, OH
reply to kilrathi
download is unaffected in this? but upload is? It sounds like the bonding isn't configured correctly. Provisioning the modem with dual speed at the same frequency will cause a "Hiccup" on most streams. It seems that's when the modem goes into "Off-Peak" mode. Street lights come on (aka offpeak hours) tend to mean they have a feral switch that is time delayed for settings. Usually done through networks to shut down certain spots, or relieve some of the stress on others (think a flood gate in terms). With the bonding it's tricky though, if your settings are set a specific way, it will kick you in the rump, otherwise you won't see or feel a damn thing if they are offset correctly. I would call up the modem manufacture and ask them what the proper bonding frequency for your area is, if time warner won't lol, especially since it's "Secret"

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY

1 edit
reply to kilrathi
Considering this problem and this pattern started when upstream channel bonding was enabled there is possiblity that something is not configured properly for the area here but I still feel there is some ingress/leakage maybe on the pole where I am connected or in local area that cauases this. I am trying to find out more information today and see what can be done... further the 6141 I called to have provisioned on thursday last week is still not provisioned, was told takes max 72 hours been longer than that so I will try to get that looked at in today as well. Priority though is the issue with upstream packet loss every night for past 3 weeks.

update

Just spoke with client relations and was told that need a supervisor to come out again to check the pole and it seems I will have to wait entire week for him to come out friday, however based on the notes and what is known I was also told this maybe resolved from plant side(no promises were made but was told its possible). I hope noone has to go through this kind of problem as me because its definitely frustrating. I really hope this week will be the week this is resolved.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
said by kilrathi:

further the 6141 I called to have provisioned on thursday last week is still not provisioned, was told takes max 72 hours been longer than that so I will try to get that looked at in today as well.

Should take about 15 minutes. Which department are you talking to? Maybe try getting to the billing department which is what I did. Tell them you have a new customer owned modem you need to add to your account.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY
I spoke with escalation center, and yes I know it takes few minutes to get it down, I was told it should be done by end of today....

Also I was informed there was plant tech to visit me tomorrow regarding issue with the pole and upstream signal noise at night but then that was canceled and supposedly someone will investigate this issue at the plant and area, supposedly this could be some "high voltage interference" as I was told.... I supposed to get update during the week.

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY

4 edits
reply to kilrathi
Problems continue.... still nothing fixed, today things got so bad pages stop loading and on speed tests after it got going i would hit close to max download speed but upload test would just say connecting..... and never even start. On my broadcasting software xsplit and wirecast when i tried to do stream and test upload i would hit 0kbps.... 0kbps.....

Barely able to browse internet.... 50/5 package

»/pingtest/33c3···/2913958

Escalation center told me upstream SNR is again below specs, he said its dipping below 18 while by their spec upstream SNR in my case should be at least 24 for upstream. Horrible situation. Waiting to talk to client relations again tomorrow whether anything was attempted by plant tech yet or whats going on.

Escalation center tech also told me that plant tech really should trace upstream frequencies on poles and locally see where the noise occurs because clearly its something on the poles/lines locally.

However, the way this is treated so far is that nothing is really done where the problem clearly is occuring at the tw line here locally maybe the pole where i am hooked up or maybe on the next one, either way clearly something here locally causes very bad noise and thus large upstream snr drop. Talking to client relations and escalation techs back and forth is getting really tiring... i am waiting for time warner to actually fix the problem, signal quality and noise on their lines is their responsibility.

I am really trying and I mean really trying to do everything I possibly can to help tw fix this, I am patient and in contact, techs did all that can be done on my house wiring and I think I now have best wiring in the neighborhood, the only problem is that solution to this upstream noise can only be found on the tw line locally here. I have been unable to broadcast/cast many games for past 3 weeks due to this, not to mention play games, and now I just lost a bid to run upcoming coh tournament and cast it live. Very dissapointed but still trying to have hope for future....

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to kilrathi
So tech hooked up my line to another pole/tap today.

Now things are good so far tonight....

However, I think I may know also why at least for the moment....

Before today constant upstream snr problems and here are the signal stats for my modem during that time more or less:

And here are signals tonight after techs hooked me up to different pole and tap:

Now notice the upstream modulation all 4 channels currently have maximum modulation of 16 QAM but before my modem would have 2 channels locked with modulation of 64 QAM. Now based on this chart:

»/r0/download/2···20PM.png

Now for 64 QAM modulation upstream SNR minimum is 24dB and recommended 27dB while for 16 QAM minimum is 18.... thats a big difference.

Considering tech told me yesterday that my upstream snr would drop below 20 that definitely caused modulations with 64QAM not working properly too much noise but for 16 QAM modulations thats fine it seems.

Of course one would wonder why hooking up the modem to differnet pole and tap would make modem receive different modulation config/ranging so I also think something was done on the plant side. I am pretty sure this was reason for the problem but I also wonder if this will stay this way. Either way I am pretty sure that if I see upstream modulations go to 64QAM again I will have problems based on what upstream SNR is on lines here for those frequencies.

I looked into the other thread and there is someone who posted his upstream modulation stats in nyc:

»Re: upstream bonding in NYC

In that his max for upstream channels is also 16QAM so I am not sure why my modem was locking 64 QAM before when clearly upstream snr here is too low for that to operate.

Either way tonight for the first time in 3 weeks I have no upstream issues with packet loss or speed but I also clearly see why. I really hope they keep maximum modulation for upstream channels here at 16 because upstream SNR in my area is simply too low(I was told about 18-20).

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY

2 edits
reply to kilrathi
Noticed a pattern this seems to be some kind of load balancing or adjustment based on conditions, every night form 8pm till 5-6 am all my upstream modulations are max 16QAM, but other time of day 2 of them go up to 64QAM. I have no problems with connection since that kicked in as well, however same day I was hooked up to another tap and pole so not sure what really did it.

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to kilrathi
I am not 100% sure the problem is fixed by hooked up to other pole, things are definitely better during wed, thrs, friday but saturday night there was slight upstream error rate that occured between 10pm and 4 am.

Example:

12 am night or so - some upstream issues, and yes that packet loss is only on upsteam.
»/pingtest/6294···/2915219

during day everything perfect -
»/pingtest/5ac5···/2915332

Its not that big of a deal, mostly no dropped frames when broadcasting game casting, however if I was playing serious fps gaming there be definitely disadvantage sometimes with 1-2 % loss here and there.

What worries me is that upstream snr supposedly is much higher now for me(27-28dB) which should be good enough for 16QAM(at night). However, this problem still occuring which means there is some egress possibly from lighting during the night thats causing reflections on the 16QAM somewhere or noise.

Sure connection is fine for use mostly but since this problem is obviously not truly fixed it means that it may return sometime in future. Last time the techs were here to run a new line to another pole they were very annoyed that they had to do it, and basically said to me, "hey since other customers near you dont complain there is no reason to think you really have a problem or we should even do this for you". It may not be exact quote but its pretty much what they told me.

So I am afraid to pursue for tw to truly fix this noise/egress/ingress issue on the line here thats clearly present, and if tw ever wants to use higher modulations for upstream and bandwith here.... well I got news for them unless something is done, frequencies traced and cause of noise solved it wont work well or at all.

I will monitor again over sunday night see if cooler temperatures overnight play a role since it supposed to cool down even more. If problem gets worse or returns to state how it was for 3+ weeks before last wednsday I will have to pursue the matter or simply drop package to docsis2 and possibly go with the multi dwelling verizon vtol solution here(which only offers like 25/5 thats why I am trying to stay with tw).

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY

1 edit
reply to kilrathi
Unfortunately same problem that existed month ago is still present, upstream snr on channels starting to drop to 20dB and even 1 channel below 20..... tonight i lost connection or barely operational as upstream has a ton of errors. upstream snr I was given by escalation center that I called tonight. Basically they are shocked nothing was still done about my issue on the plant side or plant techs as at this point clearly the issue lies there or locally in area. Supposed to speak to client relations again thursday... nightmare continues. Just as I thought maybe things are fixed problems strike over and over and its always same thing.

upstream channels drop modulation from 64QAM to all 16 at night when the upstream snr drops but once the upstream snr drops below 20 nothing helps.... one of the channels with 30600000 Hz frequency drops the most in upstream snr.

I am wondering at this point do I even have a chance to get time warner to fix this problem or will I be dragged like this for months over and over.

If I could find out what upstream channel frequency and modulation time warner uses for the slow packages maybe I could switch to that so I can have working connection and no packet loss until they fix their lines/plant here or I switch isp.

update constantly losing internet tonight sigh

nephipower

join:2012-02-20
San Antonio, TX
wow, I am really sorry mate to hear that you have been having such bad chronic problems. In my area I work with what is called the "Customer Advocate" team. Is that the same thing as what you call escalation?

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to kilrathi
Yes its similar and i know like 4 guys at the escalaton cause i call so much and problems been going so much, they all see the problem clearly and basically say plant tech should trace frequencies or check plant side because at this point thats where thhis problem lies. However, they cannot force this i have to then talk to client relations who is not available past 5pm and only that person can get plant tech or team to do something about, of course 2 weeks ago i was told by client relations that plant tech was looking into it and someone said that noise was caused by high voltage at night but nothing returned to client relations yet abuot whether anything was done about it, clearly based on situation nothing has. I paid my bill again and $100 just for internet is a lot but considering nothing is being done to fix my internet and its clearly upstream snr issue every day this is definitely last time i ever pay the bill till this is fixed or canceled.

Errrrtwc

@rr.com
I am suffering from the same problem. Almost two months now
Plant was supposed to come out 2 days and both days they didn't fix anything.

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to kilrathi
And yes the problem is basically still same thing as the day upstream channel bonding came into effect, packet loss on the upstream is always present except during the day is minimal, after a lot of talk with l3 escalation center techs upstream snr on all upstream channels goes above 25 during day but during night dips below 18dB especially on the 2 channels that lock at 64QAM(although they drop to 16QAM during night, must be some smart docsis 3 thing). 18dB is not enough for 16QAM not even mentioning 64QAM.

As I said throughout this thread, everything was verified on my end as being perfect shape, this problem is either not configured properly at plant side or something causes regular noise way more at night than day. The worst noise occurs on the upstream channel that locks at 30600000 Hz, tech told me this channel drops to such levels he rarely ever seen at his time working.

Since the infastructure here in rockaways, queens locally where I live is clearly not ready for higher modulations on upstream or bonding I am stuck with this bs connection. Since its been over a month and even though problem is clear and l3 tech did say that to properly trouble shoot this it would require plant tech to trace frequencies and look where noise occurs and/or check plant side in case something is not configured properly. I was told throughout this month over and over that plant tech supposed to go out and investigate but client relations never received any notes back, and nothing have changed, problems continue.

I am unable to broadcast/cast games on twitch due to this because upstream either craps out not enough to even have steady 1Mb rate or totally dies after 8pm est. Even throughout the game there is packet loss on the upstream.

Techs that were here last time to hook me up to a different tap/pole were bascially annoyed at having to come to me so often, so I am growing tired of this old routine of havin to call, being promised this will be fixed but no results indicating anything is fixed at all.

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to kilrathi
In my case I discovered interesting thing, now based on talking with t3 techs the upstream channel with 30600000 Hz is the one that always drops below 20dB at night for SNR and even during day it causes packet loss. Ever since upstream channel bonding kicked in thats the first channel I believe or whatever it means, however when I added splitters to "make the signal bad" modem was forced to drop channels to 2 but only 1 really is working, then i removed splitters and modem stayed this way having only 2 channels locked but only one has ranging service id and I think only 1 is actually eing used, now in this case its channel at 23800000 Hz and ever since I did that I have no packet loss problems, I did try go back and have it lock all 4 channels with 30600000 Hz as first one and thats when the problems occur. Both 30600000 Hz and 23800000 Hz upstream channels are the higher bandwith 64QAM ones(5.120 Msym/sec) but the 23800000 Hz has no issues with SNR.

Now T3 techs already gave those notes to client relations but I wonder if client relations can forward that information to the plant because clearly the issue with noise occurs at upstream channel at 30600000 Hz.

nephipower

San Antonio, TX
So you are saying you are seeing a lot of packet loss caused when you are using a splitter?

Do you need to use the splitter to connect coax to more devices?

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY
nooo.....

What I am saying that ever since upstream channel bonding started upstream snr for the 30.6 megahertz channel which by default is primary of the 2 higher QAM channels has a lot of noise and actual snr drops below 20 or even 18dB every day during the night, this causes a lot of packet loss and some nights total loss of connectivity. However, I found a trick to add few splitters reboot the modem and then the signal must be so weak that the modem only locks on 2 channels for upstream except only 1 of those channels gets ranging ID and its not 30.6 megahertz one. After this happens and without rebooting the modem i remove splitter, the main upstream channel that gets range id and seems to be operating is 23.8 megahertz and this way I have no packet loss.

T3 tech sees clear issues on 30.6 megahertz upstream channel and even told me it could be misconfiguration at the plant side, he continously sends notes to client relations who supposed to forward it to plant tech but nothing is ever done about this. For over a month same problem keeps going on and on, its not on my end(about 10 visits and running new lines verified this lol), when i was hooked up to different pole/tap the snr doesnt drop as much overall on all the upstream channels as before but the 30.6 megahertz upstream channel experiences excessive noise/errors and snr dropping below 18dB especially at night(verified by escalation t3 tech).

Escalation T3 tech told me that a plant tech should attend to this issue, trace the frequency and find where the noise occurs, plus the issue could also be fixable at the plant side... but so far no resolve.

I do see a lot of new scheduled work on rr network schedule page over the summer, I hope some of this will resolve the issue because currently upstream channel bonding only damages my connection.

nephipower

San Antonio, TX
WOW, what what a huge PITA.

Seriously by this point I would make sure to get a big credit for your services because they haven't been working right. Then looking into switching ISPs.

That is just way too much pain that you shouldn't haven't be going through and obviously they can't seem to get things fixed in a timely manner. Even through the "escalation" dept.

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY

3 edits
reply to kilrathi
Another definite pattern I discovered that every week since end of may around tuesday is when upstream snr drops the most, basically tuesdays upstream completely dies after 8pm and then it may show up working shorty over night but things wont be back to operational internet until next morning, last night was no exception. I am wondering if specifically calibrated amplifier or something at the plant side changes values based on time of day but also weekly whatever is occuring on tuesdays caues upstream snr to be the worst of any day during the week....

Oh and I have mostly confirmed this with t3 techs(depends who I talk to sometimes though some wont reveal actual upstream snr values of course)

Something happened overnight in addition to usual problems as even now the modem is receiving ton of t3 time outs and i have constant packet loss(all upstream) even at 9am usually during day things would calm down.

in addition constant spam of this in the logs:

Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out

besides usual tests i also tried visualroute tests and got all these warnings too heh:

SQTR01: The data flow for this test is too erratic

Although the speed achieved may match expectation for the connection, a low data flow QoS score means that the data flow between the server and the workstation was not consistent. There can be several reasons for this such as data congestion along the route or data loss which invokes recovery. The lower the QoS percentage, the more erratic the data flow. Many applications can be severely affected by poor data flow quality regardless of data throughput speed, for example media applications such as video or voice may become jerky. Voice (VoIP) telephony will become garbled. If you suspect that the connection was in use by another application try running the test again to validate if the problem is persistent.

Learn More

SQMD01: TCP is waiting too long for data

The test recorded a TCP maximum delay that exceeded the natural TCP forced idle delay as a result of the connection's trip time. This indicates that there may be problems with consistent data flow between the server and the client. A poor data flow QoS reading is also likely if the max TCP delay is much higher in comparisons to the trip time. Common reasons for this type of problem are packet loss and duplicates. The test graph view will show the TCP delay over the time of the test. Height and width of the 'orange' delay line shows the delay consistency.

Learn More

SQRT01: Retransmit Timeout greater than 0

Retransmit Timeouts cause major problems for applications and should always be zero for a quality connection. A timeout is a packet level alarm that occurs when the sending TCP (download data) has not had confirmation that the sent packet(s) have been received.

Learn More

SQPR01: Packets Retransmitted greater than 0

Packets Retransmitted reports the number of packets that have been resent from the sending end. It does necessarily mean that the retransmit was caused by a timeout (which is the worst type of retransmit, see Retransmit Timeout) it can also be a fast retransmit. Both signify a quality problem on the connection, retransmits occur if packets are lost or late and consume bandwidth slowing application performance. Imagine a phone call where the line quality was so bad that you keep asking the other party to repeat what they just said. This will cause the call to take much longer to complete as a result of all the retransmitted information.

SQBR01: Bytes Retransmitted greater than 0

Bytes Retransmitted reports the quantity of bytes that have been resent by the sender. It does necessarily mean that the retransmit was a timeout it can also be a fast retransmit. Retransmits occur if packets are lost or late which can include acknowledgement packets. Imagine a phone call where the line quality was so bad that you keep asking the other party to repeat what they just said. This will cause the call to take much longer to complete as a result of all the retransmitted information.

SQPO01: Packets not in order greater than 0

Packets not in order cause a problems because TCP data must be processed in order. It could be that the missing packet contains the decimal point for your pay packet! Or it is a frame in movie that you are watching. As soon as data is out of order all packets that follow the missing data can no longer be processed until the missing data is recovered.

Learn More

SQBL01: Bytes Lost greater than 0

Bytes lost report packets that are missing resulting in all the following packets being out-of-order. This obviously causes a problem because TCP data must be processed in order. For example it could be that the missing packet contains the decimal point for your pay packet! Or it is a frame in a movie that you are watching. As soon as data is out of order all packets that follow the missing data can no longer be processed until the missing data is recovered.

Learn More

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to kilrathi
So I speak with client relations again, mention the fact tier 3 techs send in notes regarding clear upstream snr issue and logs, all that information is available for my modem on their end, I was clearly told all the daily weekly hourly logs are there and they clearly show upstream snr for my upstream channels dropping below accepted levels every night and even some days, also logs show uncorrectable codewords at high numbers daily for the upstream(this can only be seen on plant side) as well indicating noise. T3 even told me for few nights average packet loss on the upstream to my modem was 8-25%.

However, even based on all of this client relations scheduled another tech to visit me(even though t3 tech said that really a plent tech should look into this). Now, I had about 10 tech visits over past month+ 1 of them actually did take readings at the tap/pole and found issue(plant tech supposedly supposed to do something about that but I never received confirmation anything was ever done regarding this). All other techs basically rewired my apt. Not sure how many times you can drop new wire but I already have 2 new wires running to the house, 1 of them is disconnected at the house but basically 1 running from each pole/tap on the street. All the wiring is new, connection is only on 1 splitter(+8dB/out) installed by tw tech due to signal being too strong and thats it. Client relations told me tech has to come again because then only he can recommend plant to do something.... SO even though all the data is there indicating upstrean snr issue, its all logged its all in logs at t3/plant side a service tech is the only one that can recommend plant tech to look into the issue.... mind boggling. I hope the tech they send actually knows difference between what ping and packet loss is, because some that have been to my house did not know it.

Verizon confirmed they can run fios to me since its available but would have to run a new line and install box at side of the house because phone lines are ran from the back and from that side fios is not available. This would cost me extra and thus I am trying to avoid it but tw may truly give me no choice here.

nephipower

San Antonio, TX
By this point have you even asked for service credits because you have had so many problems? I would

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY
Yes althogh I wanted to ask once its fixed so that I could clearly ask for how many days but since its beyond a month and not fixed I will receive 50% off for last month but as for future I will not be paying until something is done and how that will go I dont know.

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY

1 edit
reply to kilrathi
I am pretty confident the noise that causes problems on upstream resulting in constant packet loss occurs only on those 2 channels that lock at 64QAM at 30.6megahertz and 23.8megahertz. Those are the 2 channels that t3 techs told me drop in upstream snr the most but those 2 channels lock 64QAM as soon as upstream snr is higher after 5 am until 8pm. During this time there is constant packet loss on the upstream to the tune of 2-4%. During the night as long as upstream snr dont drop below 22 or 23 things are kinda ok since all channels drop to 16QAM but some nights such as tuesdays snr drops below 18 causing internet to actually stop working.

However, I have manipulated adding more splitters to the point where the 2 channels with higher modulation get T4 time out and I am left locked only at 19000000 Hz channel which uses only 16QAM modulation. When only this channel is operational I have no packet loss (did numerous tests on pingtest and visualtrace). Things are great with only that channel working on the upstream and I still hit max upstream speed. However, as soon as i remove splitters and allow the modem to lock on all channels operating including the 2 channels ATDMA locked at 64QAM there is constant packet loss.

Tier 3 tech understands it but how do I get client relations or tech to explain to plant tech and have someone trace where the noise occurs, I wish there was a way for them to send a custom config to my modem so it only locks at the 16QAM channels, that would solve my issue it appears.

I am really pissed because when I hook up bunch of splitters and get only the 1 or 2 16QAM TDMA channels locked for upstream i have no issues, but that only lasts so long before modem reboots due to t4 for the other 2 atdma channels and once those channels are locked 64QAM I have constant upstream pacekt loss.... I seriously wish there was way to downgrade to only using those 2 lower modulation channels.... its clear the lines here locally are not read for 64QAM upstream modulation just yet.

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to kilrathi
Just called level t3 tech, a guy who already knows me to check upstream snr because i lost internet(modem stayed locked but actual data was not flowing due to upstream problems).

Now its back in limited capacity and this is what is happening, different day same story for past 1 and half months on time warner ultimate internet:

All that packet loss is on the upstream. Level 3 tech told me upstream snr on all 4 channels for the upstream is dropping below 19 and the worst is the 30.6mhz and 23.9mhz channels(higher modulation ones). Its friday I supposed to stream and cast few coh and dow2 matches and cannot do jack, i cant even browse sites normally. Tech forwarded information again to supervisor and hope to get new client relation rep as last one just wants to send normal techs to me after about 10 of them already confirmed for past month that my wiring is good, cable was replaced twice, its not on my end that the problem lies.

nephipower

San Antonio, TX
Seriously by this point is it really worth all this pain to continue trying to work with TWC?

Just drop them since they aren't doing their job and switch to FiOS. I would make sure to get another big credit out of it before you call to cancel with TWC.

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to kilrathi
twc called me today on satruday with new client rep assigned to me, seems t3 emailed supervisor and send all the logs to someone and now i am supposed to get tech along with plant tech to come on wed. As for verizon fios yes its available but only in the form of having coaxal ran and doing vdsl or whatever its called plus they would have to do some work at the house etc and earliest i can even get it i was told would be after september, but with vdsl the speeds from what i read are not that great, anyways i am gonna see what happens this week.

nephipower

San Antonio, TX
said by kilrathi:

twc called me today on satruday with new client rep assigned to me, seems t3 emailed supervisor and send all the logs to someone and now i am supposed to get tech along with plant tech to come on wed. As for verizon fios yes its available but only in the form of having coaxal ran and doing vdsl or whatever its called plus they would have to do some work at the house etc and earliest i can even get it i was told would be after september, but with vdsl the speeds from what i read are not that great, anyways i am gonna see what happens this week.

Good to hear that perhaps you might be making some progress with actually getting a plant tech out. If the flavor of FiOS that you can get is only vDSL well that stinks. Definitely isn't as good as FTTP.

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to kilrathi
I have the tech and supposedly plant tech supposed to be on call to coordinate today. I called tonight to escalation t3 tech and spoke to the same tech I have for past 2 months asking him to double check the logs, and yep nothing have changed same pattern. Upstream snr on my modem drops below 24dB every night as low as 18. The worst is around midnight, but the upstream snr is below 24 between 8pm and 8am every day more or less for past 2 MONTHS. (during that time modem is full of T3/T4 errors, no suprise of course). Regional/node upstream snr is fine there is no drop. Issue been verified many times that it does not occur at my house or wiring. So basically I hope they actually bring someone who can take readings and trace at the poles and lines themselves. I thought maybe its some cable thats no longer used hanging near street light etc as there are few I have seen as I walked around. I will ask them to check but they should do their job not me.