share rss forum feed

Tibby
Winbeta
Premium
join:2002-06-01
Oswego, IL

[Signals] Upstream bonding enabled, but downstream signals less

Hi All,

I periodically check my modem and I typically run 36-37db on the downstream snr.

I checked it today and I was down to 34 across all 4 channels. My power levels also dropped from -3/-4 to -7/-8.

I did a quick reset of defaults and rebooted the modem and I noticed that upstream bonding is now in effect.

My upstream has stayed the same being around +48-50.

Thoughts? I checked my router DHCP lease and it's at 2 days so I'm not sure if that means they're still doing maintenance.

Downstream Bonding Channel Value
Channel ID 2  5  6  8 
Frequency 675000000 Hz 693000000 Hz 699000000 Hz 711000000 Hz 
Signal to Noise Ratio 34 dB 34 dB 34 dB 34 dB 
Downstream Modulation QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 
Power Level
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading
-7 dBmV  -8 dBmV  -8 dBmV  -8 dBmV  

Upstream Bonding Channel Value
Channel ID 12  10  11 
Frequency 24200000 Hz 36400000 Hz 29500000 Hz 
Ranging Service ID 7977 7977 7977 
Symbol Rate 2.560 Msym/sec 5.120 Msym/sec 5.120 Msym/sec 
Power Level 45 dBmV 49 dBmV 47 dBmV 
Upstream Modulation [3] QPSK
[2] 16QAM
 [3] QPSK
[3] 64QAM
 [3] QPSK
[3] 32QAM

Ranging Status Success Success Success 

Sidebar I noticed that my error'ed codewords went down significantly from what it used to be; even though I never had any ping/speed issues before.

Channel ID 2  5  6  8 
Total Unerrored Codewords 28657025 28657323 28657500 28657590 
Total Correctable Codewords 18 0 0 0 
Total Uncorrectable Codewords 711 544 548 592 

--
VP - WinBeta

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

Re: [Signals] Upstream bonding enabled, but downstream signals l

Yes they are probably still working on it. There can be several weeks while they dial it in and get everything balanced.
you can do the usual stuff ~~check your fittings are tight, or even remove and gently retighn with a small wrench (this can break away small amounts of corosion that can have a small effect at each fitting but sometimes a bigger diference all together. If you have actual problems or it gets worse after a few weeks you should call it in.
At this point all you can really do is keep and eye on it.

Tibby
Winbeta
Premium
Oswego, IL
said by tshirt:

Yes they are probably still working on it. There can be several weeks while they dial it in and get everything balanced.
you can do the usual stuff ~~check your fittings are tight, or even remove and gently retighn with a small wrench (this can break away small amounts of corosion that can have a small effect at each fitting but sometimes a bigger diference all together. If you have actual problems or it gets worse after a few weeks you should call it in.
At this point all you can really do is keep and eye on it.

How close are my signal levels to having issues?
--
VP - WinBeta

tshirt
Premium
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Tibby
Not bad really.

on the downstream side +10 to-10 is acceptable so if it's not bouncing around too much then it's a bit low but should be ok
On the upstream side the 40's are a good ranges so no problem there either.
in the forum FAQ look for "what should my signals be? " (or similar) to read about it more

Tibby
Winbeta
Premium
Oswego, IL
said by tshirt:

Not bad really.

on the downstream side +10 to-10 is acceptable so if it's not bouncing around too much then it's a bit low but should be ok
On the upstream side the 40's are a good ranges so no problem there either.
in the forum FAQ look for "what should my signals be? " (or similar) to read about it more

Thanks for the info.

What about the SNR? How much leeway do I have with that?
--
VP - WinBeta

tshirt
Premium
Snohomish, WA
above 30-32 on the dn side so 34 is good considering the low signal it would be higher if the signal was louder.

tshirt
Premium
Snohomish, WA
reply to Tibby

mloiterman

join:2001-10-09
Chicago, IL
reply to Tibby
I'm real close to where you are, Tibby.

I noticed in my logs, today, that since Friday 5/25/12, I am getting between 2 - 4% packet loss. This is pretty unusual. I just rebooted my modem and noticed that Upstream bonding is now enabled.

This same thing happened last year at nearly the exact same time...the enabled Upstream bonding and I started getting packet loss. They turned it off shortly after they turned it on, and then everything went back to normal.

Hopefully they will fix the packet loss issue AND keep the Upstream bonding.

Tibby
Winbeta
Premium
Oswego, IL
I opened a ticket/msg on the Comcast Direct page.

It is peculiar that these issues happened right when upstream bonding was enabled.

Upstream is perfect; if not better than it was. Downstream went to the dump though.

Last night I checked and my signals have dropped to -9/-10 and 33db snr (which prompted the Comcast Direct ticket). Upstream is still holding steady.
--
VP - WinBeta

mloiterman

Chicago, IL
Interesting, mine is opposite. Upstream is terrible and Downstream is perfect. I'm in Oswego area too.

Tibby
Winbeta
Premium
Oswego, IL
What are your levels at?
--
VP - WinBeta

mloiterman

Chicago, IL

Tibby
Winbeta
Premium
Oswego, IL
Wow; your signal levels are almost perfect.

I hope they fix what's going on in our area.
--
VP - WinBeta

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to Tibby
Since you are in the Chicago area, try this quality test. This isn't just a plain speed test, but can give info on errors. In the little box in the lower right after the test, there is a link that gives some super-detailed info.

»myspeed.visualware.com/servers/n ··· ware.com