Search similar:

uniqs
Scilicet (banned)
Spaced Out
join:2005-04-11
Aurora, CO

Scilicet (banned)

Comcast EasySolve?

So, I receive this email from Comcast today offering a free internet diagnostic. The TOS says that they want to keep track of some personal info, computer configuration, etc. This program claims to be able to make unspecified alterations to your system. That makes me pause to wonder what alterations? Has anyone tried this tool and is it worth looking into? I suspect that it may be tool with the sole purpose to get you to buy their Signature Support Service.

»customer.comcast.com/hel ··· verview/
neufuse
join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

neufuse

delete this reg entry here, move that file here.. there system is working like crap now...... *acts shocked* OH GOSH your system needs a tune up! that will be $29.95 a month for our signature support which will fix this and keep it fixed!

CableConvert
Premium Member
join:2003-12-05
Atlanta, GA

CableConvert to Scilicet

Premium Member

to Scilicet
I got that email today too. That would be the LAST thing I would ever install
BlueJay
join:2007-11-06

BlueJay to Scilicet

to Scilicet
»forums.comcast.com/t5/We ··· U1293013

Check out the above link to comcast's forums..

ciao, bj

edited to add:

»forums.comcast.com/t5/We ··· U1251649

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to Scilicet

Premium Member

to Scilicet
It does about as much as any "easy button" fix can.
unfortunately what it changes maynot be what your computer needs, and might be something you wish it hadn't done.

IF you think you need something done on your computer, rather then getting started on that remote management track, ask around to find a trustworthy local computer guy (or a friend...WHO REALLY KNOW WHAT HE"S DOING), and give him the $49.99+ you will likely spend getting easysolved, to give it a basic spring cleaning (both physical and scanwise) You get more AND have a valueable hands on contact if something really bad happens, something the support service* can't really match.

* about one rung higher than the geek squad over the phone

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 recommendation

NetFixer to Scilicet

Premium Member

to Scilicet
Thanks but no thanks.

I don't have any specific experience with this particular application, but my experience with similarly hyped software from other ISPs is (security and privacy issues aside) that this particular class of software often does more harm than good.

Think about it...how often do ISP tier 1 support script readers lead customers into totally screwing up their PCs and/or connections? Chances are that the same people who write the scripts for tier 1 CSRs also had a hand in the algorithms/scripts that the ISP's "fixit" program uses.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

1 recommendation

EG

Premium Member

IMO it's *GARBAGEWARE* !!!

rambler
@comcast.net

rambler to Scilicet

Anon

to Scilicet
I don't trust it either - plus, malwarebytes flagged it at malware and quarantined it.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to EG

Premium Member

to EG
said by EG:

I was trying to be tactful.

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose to rambler

to rambler
HAHAHA
Scilicet (banned)
Spaced Out
join:2005-04-11
Aurora, CO

1 recommendation

Scilicet (banned) to EG

to EG
said by EG:

Yep! That's just about what my first impression was as soon as I saw the "Signature Support Service" included in the list of features.

No thanks, I can take care of my own system just fine, thank you.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2 to Scilicet

MVM

to Scilicet
I dunno. To be honest, most computer/network knowledgeable folks certainly would have scant use for this, however, the vast majority of Comcast customers are anything but.

For my mom, who only knows that her computer works or not, and that she has internet connectivity, or not, no biggie. She has me to do that stuff...as do my daughters, in-laws, and other friends and associates. (you do not have to be old to be ignorant of the niceties of computers and networking)

Many folks have neither the basic understanding of windows/mac, modems, and routers, nor the inclination to do so. For them ES while not a panacea, may indeed serve a purpose.

Generally speaking, if you find yourself in this forum, ES probably is not for you...but that does not mean that it holds no value.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal to Scilicet

MVM

to Scilicet
I've never used any "fix it" software, but I'm intrigued as to exactly what "EasySolve" addresses. For the heck of it, I may just load it on my old garage PC I just use for streaming music. I'll report back.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

EG to PeteC2

Premium Member

to PeteC2
said by PeteC2:

I dunno. To be honest, most computer/network knowledgeable folks certainly would have scant use for this, however, the vast majority of Comcast customers are anything but.

For my mom, who only knows that her computer works or not, and that she has internet connectivity, or not, no biggie. She has me to do that stuff...as do my daughters, in-laws, and other friends and associates. (you do not have to be old to be ignorant of the niceties of computers and networking)

Many folks have neither the basic understanding of windows/mac, modems, and routers, nor the inclination to do so. For them ES while not a panacea, may indeed serve a purpose.

Generally speaking, if you find yourself in this forum, ES probably is not for you...but that does not mean that it holds no value.

In principle I agree with this Pete. That is, if it were a properly written app. CC is notorious over the years for distributing poorly coded stuff that causes more problems than it is worth.

ss
@comcast.net

ss to PeteC2

Anon

to PeteC2
said by PeteC2:

Thank you. I am not very tech savvy, so this might be a useful tool for me. My family gets tired of having to solve every little issure for me and I don't like having to ask for help. I want to learn, but they are impatient with my ignorance. So they just need to market it to the right folks, like me!

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

2 recommendations

EG

Premium Member

Even the technically naive should practice "caveat emptor"

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal to ss

MVM

to ss
Not trying to be sarcastic or insulting, but you would be better off buying one or more "Dummies" books for Windows/Mac to learn.

Ref: »www.dummies.com/store/Co ··· ows.html

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

Robotics to Scilicet

Premium Member

to Scilicet
Reminds me of something AOL would do back in the days. (from what I have heard)

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
Bristol, CT

PeteC2 to EG

MVM

to EG
said by EG:

Even the technically naive should practice "caveat emptor"

I certainly agree with that!

Again, I do not suggest that ES is a panacea that can replace hands-on assistance.

Is the proggie over-hyped? Yes. Can the proggie help solve at least some problems that a user with limited computer/network knowledge would benefit from? Also yes.

For some folks, that is a still a big improvement over nothing...which is what many have for assistance.
PeteC2

PeteC2 to Johkal

MVM

to Johkal
said by Johkal:

Not trying to be sarcastic or insulting, but you would be better off buying one or more "Dummies" books for Windows/Mac to learn.

Ref: »www.dummies.com/store/Co ··· ows.html

Johkal, that actually is not a bad suggestion at all!

Problem is this however: Assuming that I am no longer around to help her...do you really think that my 82 year old mom is likely to pick up a book and develop a working knowledge of trouble-shooting computer and networking issues?

I agree in principal, many folks would be far better off spending at least a small amount of time learning how to maintain their computers and home networks/connectivity.

I also understand that were I more talented at roofing, that I could save myself a bundle the next time my roof goes...but I am not, and no, that really isn't going to happen

So, although I am not an Easy Solve "fan", I do see it as a viable option for some people...not a panacea, but viable.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

In your situation I wouldn't suggest learning. I had replied to Anon "SS".

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
Bristol, CT

1 recommendation

PeteC2

MVM

said by Johkal:

In your situation I wouldn't suggest learning. I had replied to Anon "SS".

Heehee - thanks! I assumed that you did nto mean me...although I am none to proud to read a "...for Dummies" book here and there!

What I meant was that for someone with the wherewithall/ability to learn the finer points, I thought your suggestion was spot-on! Unfortunately that still leaves a lot of folks who need/use broadband internet, but have little likelyhood of becomming good at problem solving connectivity issues for themselves.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

newview to Scilicet

Premium Member

to Scilicet
Personally ... I wouldn't trust ANYTHING from Comcast on my system.
I still remember their Comcast Install CD, once required by Service Techs, and the useless crap it installed, with a corresponding system degradation.