Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9

1 recommendation

reply to momus_98

Re: [Services] AT&T Kills DSL and tries to switch to me to U-Ver

said by momus_98:

The point is DSL is now legacy technology & by all appearances, AT&T is beginning the end-of-life process.

Funny. And what are they replacing it with??? More DSL. In fact, *MUCH* more limited DSL... it's only very fast if you're very close. If you "taste test" Uverse, they will disconnect your "legacy DSL" and you will never, ever be able to get it back.

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
Pearland, TX
kudos:4
reply to momus_98
said by momus_98:

I deliberated over dropping my POTS & DSL for a great while because I was leery of VOIP. But I grew annoyed as I watched Suddenlink (the only other provider for me) leave DSL in the dust in terms of speed, while I was still stuck at 6 Mbps. But I finally made the jump to U-verse 12 Mbps and couldn't be more pleased.

The point is DSL is now legacy technology & by all appearances, AT&T is beginning the end-of-life process.

you should have jumped over to suddenlink then...

you knew dsl is now legacy technology and you still subscribed to it by getting U-verse which is still DSL only sugarcoated 10x to make it look and sound like it is very good....

ATT isn't beginning the end of life process, it's milking it more or bleeding it to death....

I was with Bellsouth not too long ago having their 3Mbps plan and switched to Comcast Biz 12/2, and couldn't be more happier....

sbcretired

join:2006-01-07
Scottville, MI
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·AT&T Midwest
reply to FZappa
I am a SBC (ATT) retiree. I live 1.25miles from co, and am getting the Uverse DSL available emails. They advertise up to// higher speeds than I now get (on special offers), but of course any speed increase is eventually going to cost more after the special period ends.
The techs I used to work with caution that Uverse dsl may fizzle out a little faster as you go farther away from the C.O (comparing to the old DSL).
I know eventually the old DSL will go away, but till then, I probably will ride the old stuff as long as I can.
BTW, Uverse TV wont be available, just the new DSL.
I do not care for the higher speed at any cost, its a budget thing for most of us.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to countscabula
said by countscabula:

Apparently at&t is damned if they do and damned if they don't. They get flamed if they provide u-verse and flamed if they don't.

Ironically that's about 99.999999999999999% of it. I get dammed if I do or dammed if I don't all the time.

alittle158

join:2004-03-01
reply to cramer
said by cramer:

The main drawback, as I've already said, is the lack of choice in router. You have no other option than to buy or rent one of ATT's buggy, crippled routers. They are the only source of information, software, and support for these devices.

Their router isn't the best, but it's still pretty solid. Don't like it? Use your own and put it in the DMZ.

cramer
Premium
Raleigh, NC
That's still forcing me to use their buggy pile of crap. Go read any of the hundreds of threads (here, att forums, and all over the internet) from people using the NVG510, especially with it's "DMZ" (ip passthru) mode. It might be a decent device straight from "motopia", att's crippling of the software has created many problems.

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
reply to FZappa
Today I get a fax from AT&T it has all the account info (name, address, phone number) and it says "The post office notify us your address is not correct" BUT IT IS CORRECT. So Just circle the info, mark CORRECT and fax it back. I already shred the letter so not sure what phone number was on it.

Could this be related? So AT&T will send a new modem to us? Is it by UPS delivery because I don't believe anyone check USPS mailbox... it is probably full and anything sent there is returned.
--
PRescott7-2097

cramer
Premium
Raleigh, NC
*sigh* I'm pretty sure that's yet another BS scam. It did not come from AT&T. And they did not say they were "AT&T" -- a confusing thing people rarely realize... "AT&T blah blah Company". If you saved the fax and the number it came from, the FTC will chase it down -- scam, fraud, fax spam, etc. The Real AT&T likes to know about it, too, since they're attempting to impersonate AT&T.

(We used to get a bunch of that sort of crap at the office. Our fax line is no longer connected, and I stopped printing fax's many years ago -- they're dumped as pdf's on a fileserver.)