elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Comrade Miller was on crack

For those not familar,Comrade Miller was the "name:" given by Sue Ann Levy for the former Mayor of Toronto, David Miller.

For some reason Now Magazine has been delivering to homes now??
So I start going through it and see a column by Miller's wunderkin, Adam Giambrone ,criticizing the current city council for not tearing down the Gardiner.

Why? Apparently it only handles 80-100K of cars a day compared to the 401 which handles 480k DUH! Well of course there just isn't enough traffic, lets tear it down. So it looks like the had it planned to tear it down right to Spadina.

I loved how he tries to use the excuse that the Gardiner is block access to the waterfront (uhm no, it's all those Condos that were approved).

Anyways, if you care to you can read about his delusions here.

Last Parade
join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON

Last Parade

Hwy 401 has a provincial purpose while the Gardiner has a municipal one. It's not GMO apples to GMO apples.

The Gardiner is a good example of the crap they were engineering in the 1950s though.
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
The Gardiner needs to be torn down and buried a la Boston. It's almost as much an eyesore as those stupid condos that somehow got built on the south side of Queens Quay back in the day.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
I made the point once on Urban Toronto that the condos are what is blocking access to the waterfront. They had never heard of anything so outrageous! I was told that those condos are "in essence the city" and it was the Gardner that was the problem.

A wall of buildings is not the problem? Right. The waterfront should have been developed into something for everyone. Parkland would be nice.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to mr weather

Premium Member

to mr weather
said by mr weather:

The Gardiner needs to be torn down and buried a la Boston.

Unfortunately what was done in Boston was incredibly expensive and full of problems....

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by PX Eliezer704:

Unfortunately what was done in Boston was incredibly expensive and full of problems....

Exactly, and knowing Toronto they'll screw it up even worse than Boston could.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704
said by PX Eliezer704:

said by mr weather:

The Gardiner needs to be torn down and buried a la Boston.

One of the worst and most expensive projects ever in the US.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Dig

Hydraglass
Premium Member
join:2002-05-08

Hydraglass to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by PX Eliezer704:

Exactly, and knowing Toronto they'll screw it up even worse than Boston could.

Exactly - please no Big Dig for Toronto - 10 years of construction plagued with cost overruns, shoddy workmanship, and all just for some park land in the middle of the city. For one thing, it would likely never get done in Toronto - the administration would change 30% of the way in and someone would scrap it (Subway? LRT? Etc.? Need I say more?). In the end the province would probably have to bail out the city and the feds would have to bail out the province when the project got to a 100 billion dollars and still wasn't done. No thanks. Lets just fix the highway that is there - I use it all the time to get to the far side of downtown coming in from the east - it's by far the easiest way to get to the Parkdale and Humberside neighbourhoods.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

This was all about Miller and his war on cars..
I just fail to understand where he thought those 80-100K cars were going to go. Lakeshore can't handle it, Eastern (with it's Fr'kn bike lane) is jammed by 5pm.

Even if they built that "Grand boulevard" they envisioned, it would be years not to mention, if you tear down the Gardiner, nobody can drive on Lakeshore...

loosedobbs
join:2006-06-13
Toronto

loosedobbs to Hydraglass

to Hydraglass
well said.

OP just reminding me of Comrade Miller makes me have some. But I dont drink/smoke.

If you say one more time then I might start. might well PM ZZZZZZZ and get some.

In any case be Torontonians are screwed
with War on Cars and now End to War on cars.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
Tunneling under the current Gardiner location (indeed anywhere south of Front St) will be fun. It's all landfill of indeterminate types - iron, steel, concrete, bricks, soil, all dumped there to create land. Ever wonder why Front Street is named that? That's where the shoreline was in the 1800's.

If the city doesn't want to disrupt all the buried north-south running services (sewers, water, etc....) then the top of any tunneling will have to be at least 30' below current grade, and probably deeper than that. Managing groundwater during tunneling will be a bitch.

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly

I would have used CONRAD instead of Comrade as the title. but to each is own.
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather to Hydraglass

Premium Member

to Hydraglass
I'm not saying to do it like Boston (which was a colossal clusterfuck) but it would be the best solution, though I'm almost 100% sure it'll never happen.

It needs rebuilding and needs it fast. The infrastructure has endured 50+ years of freeze-thaw cycles and road salt.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to Pauly

Premium Member

to Pauly
said by Pauly:

I would have used CONRAD instead of Comrade as the title. but to each is own.

Why? Comrade, a "traditional" communist (left wing, politically) title makes sense, Miller was very left in his views. Conrad is for....what? Conrad Black? He is a very conservative (right wing, politically) person in his views.

Why Conrad?

Pauly
canada

Pauly

said by donoreo:

Why? Comrade, a "traditional" communist (left wing, politically) title makes sense, Miller was very left in his views. Conrad is for....what? Conrad Black? He is a very conservative (right wing, politically) person in his views.

Why Conrad?

for the very simple reason it SOUNDS BETTER. Its the more Fun sounding name. sometimes names can actually sound better if people gave it a try
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

said by Pauly:

said by donoreo:

Why Conrad?

for the very simple reason it SOUNDS BETTER. Its the more Fun sounding name. sometimes names can actually sound better if people gave it a try

The nickname wasn't picked based on what sounded better, it was picked to convey a particular opinion of David Miller.
Robrr
join:2008-04-19

Robrr to donoreo

to donoreo
said by donoreo:

I made the point once on Urban Toronto that the condos are what is blocking access to the waterfront. They had never heard of anything so outrageous! I was told that those condos are "in essence the city" and it was the Gardner that was the problem.

A wall of buildings is not the problem? Right. The waterfront should have been developed into something for everyone. Parkland would be nice.

Very true... The skyline here in Toronto from the lake use to be nice in my opinion with the low front where the Skydome, CN tower and the Royal York really stood out and had the office towers in the background.

Now we just have a wall of condo's to look at.

Pauly
canada

Pauly to bt

to bt
said by bt:

said by Pauly:

said by donoreo:

Why Conrad?

The nickname wasn't picked based on what sounded better, it was picked to convey a particular opinion of David Miller.

I still like Conrad Miller. sounds more army-ish.