Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

"Gateway" error messages

I have been seeing a lot of "502 Bad Gateway" and "504 Gateway Time-out" messages lately. It happens with multiple browsers and multiple PCs, and it goes away (for a while) after a few screen refreshes.

Is this site still using temporary servers (with perhaps reduced bandwidth), or is this a sign of impending doom?
--
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

nil
Java Geek
join:2000-11-27
kudos:2

It should be better now?

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
reply to NetFixer

Guess the new hamsters are getting restless

(I've had a number of those errors in the last 15 mins)
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to nil

said by nil:

It should be better now?

Well, I haven't had one in the last 5 minutes, but it has been intermittently happening (at least for my connection) since the final restore was done. If you are just intermittently doing site maintenance, then that could certainly explain temporary glitches (been there, done that).

Just thought I would bring it up in case it was trouble brewing.
--
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14

I got quite a few shortly before your initial post. None since then.
--
Bohemian Rhapsody

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by fatness:

I got quite a few shortly before your initial post. None since then.

Same here.

However, as I said in my reply to nil See Profile, I had also been seeing them intermittently for several days, so I just wanted the site management to be aware (just in case it wasn't site maintenance causing it).
--
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
reply to NetFixer

As an FYI: I'm still getting these. I had one just a minute or two ago from this post. They're not happening often, but they are there and do appear as nginx 504 Gateway Timeout messages. I've had issues with double posting as a result of these errors, where the post takes up to 10 seconds to write once the site returns from the momentary issue. Seems like intermittent packet loss to another server or a server getting busy from my end.

nil
Java Geek
join:2000-11-27

Thanks, this is helpful. I'm tracking these incidents to try and narrow down the cause.
--
Life is too short to be boring

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

This may be related: DSLR timeouts from Linux land .

Some good research has been documented in the thread and there is a "solution" (workaround?): disable RFC 1323 TCP Performance Optimizations by turning off the TCP Timestamp option they depend on.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9

Nope. The problem is internal to DSLR. Anything that depends on a "database write" (i.e. post, preview, etc.) will stall for a long time. However, normal browsing of threads works perfectly.

It's been doing this since it was rebuilt. (and is likely the reason for a lot of the double posts I've seen.)

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

said by cramer:

Nope. The problem is internal to DSLR. Anything that depends on a "database write" (i.e. post, preview, etc.) will stall for a long time. However, normal browsing of threads works perfectly.

It's been doing this since it was rebuilt. (and is likely the reason for a lot of the double posts I've seen.)

Seconded. Database writes seem to be slower than normal as well, even when they aren't erroring out at times.