Search similar:

uniqs

Leathal
Premium Member
join:2002-02-09
Richmond Hill, ON

Leathal

Premium Member

[Burloak] Cogeco fix your customer support attitude!

Click for full size
Cogeco mailbox at 5/25/2012

Windows Mail settings for Cogeco account

Email size taken from Hotmail account

My mother is in her 60's and uses her cogeco internet to access MSN and her emails. Today my godmother tried to send a couple of 805KB emails, they all bounced back with the following message to the recipient:

Subject: Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender
This is the Postfix program at host sunfep4.cogeco.net.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The Postfix program

email@cogeco.ca; maildir delivery failed: error writing message: Disc
quota exceeded

My mom call you to find out what the issue is as she doesn't know and she's not a very technical nor does she want to be. So she talks to Jane who apparently is very rude to her on the phone and tells her a whole lot of information that just goes over her head but tells my mom "oh its your settings".

My mom calls me after work in a panic, I connected to her computer had a look at the error my godmother sent her and what throws me off is the last part of the error.. "Disc quota exceeded", my mom doesn't have a disc drive in her computer but she does have a hard DISK.

So I look at her mail settings; she uses Windows Mail, in her advanced settings the option to save a copy on the server was not checked. Next I had to go to her "my cogeco" page and login using her email account info and to no surprise her mailbox is also empty.

Lastly I resent the emails from her hotmail account; in the past when there has been problems like this with your COMPANY and its ridiculous IT support personnel I setup a hotmail account for her so she can at least get the emails as proof there is nothing wrong with the email sender. Anyhow after forwarding the emails from her hotmail account back to her Cogeco account they magically went through without me making any changes. WOW..

All this bitching from your employees that its her fault when it clearly was most likely a server hiccup on your end could have all been avoided if your staff were properly trained.

The company I work is on Canada top 100 solution providers list. We don't treat our customers the way you do. You there are laws in Canada that protect our seniors from abusive people, including ones that work at company like Cogeco. Wouldn't that make a great story on CP24? I am sure my friends at CP24 would love to put it on the 6'o-clock news.

I am attaching screen shots taken of my mom's settings.. disputed it all you want. But when you can take the time to help our your customers who don't care that they don't know the difference between a bit or a byte then you have a serious business ethics problem.

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium Member
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX

CptGemini

Premium Member

My first hunch would be that someones inbox is full.
Phorkster
Premium Member
join:2004-06-27
Windsor, ON

Phorkster

Premium Member

If you looked at the pictures you would see that it is empty. And is showing using 18MB out of 100MB. Something is rotten.

Setup Thunderbird and use Gmail, problem solved. And when you make the transfer dump Gougeco.

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium Member
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX

1 recommendation

CptGemini

Premium Member

I did see the pictures but take note of where I said someones inbox was probably full, not the sender in question

Cogeco_Aaron
Premium Member
join:2011-07-11

1 recommendation

Cogeco_Aaron to Leathal

Premium Member

to Leathal
I'm sorry to hear your mother had an experience that was not up to her expectations. If you want to PM me the information I'd be happy to look into the customer service issue for you.

CptGemini is right in that the address the mail is being sent to is full, and thus, the server is returning the "Disc quota exceeded" message. Once whoever is being emailed cleans out their inbox, this error should go away.

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to PM me.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

As a long time forum member and Cogeco customer, one who appreciates accountability, I'd be interested to read any follow up to this 'case' if one can be disclosed.

As CptGemini suggests, my initial reaction would be that someone's out of space yet Leathal points out that their was enough space as indicated above; although it's still possible that he solved this himself without realizing.

While I'm always skeptical when people relay that their problems were 'magically' resolved, I was once sitting right beside a family friend who called Cogeco and was told by a female representative they couldn't help her fix her Windows Live Mail settings, to resolve a mail.cogeco.ca issue, because "things aren't where they're supposed to be" while she was trying to walk the customer through resolving the problem. Or in other words, she wasn't equipped to do her job.

Leathal
Premium Member
join:2002-02-09
Richmond Hill, ON

Leathal

Premium Member

said by urbanriot:

As a long time forum member and Cogeco customer, one who appreciates accountability, I'd be interested to read any follow up to this 'case' if one can be disclosed.

As CptGemini suggests, my initial reaction would be that someone's out of space yet Leathal points out that their was enough space as indicated above; although it's still possible that he solved this himself without realizing.

While I'm always skeptical when people relay that their problems were 'magically' resolved, I was once sitting right beside a family friend who called Cogeco and was told by a female representative they couldn't help her fix her Windows Live Mail settings, to resolve a mail.cogeco.ca issue, because "things aren't where they're supposed to be" while she was trying to walk the customer through resolving the problem. Or in other words, she wasn't equipped to do her job.

The key problem here is the tech never explained anything to my mom in simpler terms that she herself could understand. Unfortunately when you work for any tech company dealing with clients who sometimes aren't as bright as you requires a little bit of extra explaining on their level.

Second the tech never asked my mom what line of business mail application she was using. If Cogeco doesn't already have a KB for their tech to access freely then they need to make one showing their techs mail LOB application settings look like so they better walk them through the diagnoses.

Third the after my mom had already told the tech that I (her son) has helped his mother in the past when there have been issues the tech never offered or bothered to email my mother a list of instructions so her son (me) can have a look at them. (failing #2)

Fourth the tech never said to my mom let me have a look at your mailbox on our servers to see if its full? As soon as the tech answered the phone and my mom stated the problem the tech was very rude and told her "the problem is on your end.." so if the tech has gone in and dumped out emails that for some reason were there when her Windows Mail doesn't have the option to save a copy on the server checked then the tech failed to revel something.

Fifth the tech was very rude to her from the start, not trying to help her, just basically wanting to end the call and close the ticket. People who aren't healthy like this either need some vacation time or need to find a job they will be more happy in. Grant the tech might have been told off by the previous customer or by her boss it still doesn't give her the right to mistreat the next customer.

I think Cogeco should do a blitz were by have people from customer service call the client back after they have dealt with someone in support to do a follow up. This way they might be able to paint a better picture of the people who are working for them and actually make some good changes in the right direction.

My mom said to me today that while she was on Bell Sympatico she never had a problem, her email cam through her Windows Mail and it too was not set to keep a copy on the server.

There is a lot Cogeco could learn for this...good things!

kim
MVM,
join:2001-03-25
ON

kim

MVM,

Your Mom is part of a very large demographic of ISP's client base and therefore techs are very used to dealing with people who need very basic explanations. No excuses.

I hope they get to the bottom of this and I hope you'll share that too.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to Leathal

Premium Member

to Leathal
said by Leathal:

Fifth the tech was very rude to her from the start, not trying to help her, just basically wanting to end the call and close the ticket.

My response to this as well as another of your points is that this service representative and possibly others, aren't well trained on dealing with older, non-technologically savvy adults and provide support at a pace that's frustrating to the recipient of this support call and to the provider, since they don't have the patience.

Sometimes this inability to aid older people comes across as rude to the recipient. I know this from the phone support I'd provided many years ago, where I was nice as peaches... but I was just too fast for the person on the other end.

The other problem is a lack of knowledge on supporting the products that clients use. There shouldn't be a perception of rudeness if a support representative can smoothly walk a person through supporting one of the most popular email clients, because they have it in front of them as well.

I'm curious if Cogeco representatives have imaged PC's or virtual environments with regular configurations on them, to provide proper technical support. Your post and my previous experiences suggest they don't... or at least, they're not skilled enough to follow them.

One bad experience is all it takes for one person to bad mouth Cogeco to everyone they know while a good experience has a far greater effect than billboard advertising.
said by Leathal:

I think Cogeco should do a blitz were by have people from customer service call the client back after they have dealt with someone in support to do a follow up. This way they might be able to paint a better picture of the people who are working for them and actually make some good changes in the right direction.

I agree. An independent employee who's skilled and higher up should do a follow up call shortly after the call was ended to ask if a) the issue was resolved and b) how happy the recipient was with the call.

I also feel they should be listening to more support calls, at least with their new initiates.

My experiences with Cogeco's technical department has always been positive, but I'm calling into the business side of Cogeco and I have a technical background.

nevertheless
Premium Member
join:2002-03-08
St Catharines, ON

nevertheless to Leathal

Premium Member

to Leathal
If you haven't gotten your pound of flesh yet, IM me the email address and I'll take a look.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

1 edit

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by nevertheless:

If you haven't gotten your pound of flesh yet, IM me the email address and I'll take a look.

Classic.

(Obviously missed the title of this thread)

Mike
robman50
join:2010-12-14

robman50 to Leathal

to Leathal
I had that happen to me once. On the webmail side my inbox was empty but the trash had lots of stuff in it. So I emptied the trash (on the webmail side) and then the usage went back to 0/100mb. Try that out and see what happens.
Expand your moderator at work