uniqs
share rss forum feed
« SoClearwire wireless dialup is a joke »
This is a sub-selection from Buildout

join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH
reply to Telco

Re: Buildout

Clear has many cities with WiMax the problem is they are NOT turned on for what ever reason. Toledo and Sandusky Ohio are only 2 out of how many cities in Ohio that have a built network but ZERO customers on it. Waste of money. All due to their major shareholder doesn't want it on. The network has been built for over 2 years now.

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
I think they also have a few locations turned up just to keep the licence from expiring... I was in a city the other day... noticed 4G in a couple spots... checked the map when I got a chance and clear says "while clear is available we are not currently offering service in this area"... the sprint 4g wimax map showed nothing.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to 25139889
said by 25139889:

Clear has many cities with WiMax the problem is they are NOT turned on for what ever reason. Toledo and Sandusky Ohio are only 2 out of how many cities in Ohio that have a built network but ZERO customers on it. Waste of money. All due to their major shareholder doesn't want it on. The network has been built for over 2 years now.

How do you know they have no customers on it? Are you watching cell traffic every minute? A lot of the areas like you mention are just protection sites so clear can keep their spectrum licenses. Maine has 5+ of these and they are decent when you spend time in that area. Driving through not so much but it is there for now. They will not show up on Sprints WiMax coverage maps, but they are a decent surprise when the 4G lights up on the phone.

Sprints LTE / Network Vision is well under way btw, ahead of schedule. I know how much that must grind your gears.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH
That network that is NOT turned on- they will tell you- it is NOT turned on- Sprint doesn't use it and Clear will tell you- no customers are on it- and nobody in the City has service from it. You can't even get a Wimax device from Clear to locate the signal.

And NV maybe under way- but what happens when it runs out of money? You forget Sprint is broke thanks to iPhone and Dan. Sprint will NOT be able to keep going with their current spending of Dan and the iPhone. That money should have went into the network and not a fanboy type device that will NOT return their money in 2 years.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
said by 25139889:

That network that is NOT turned on- they will tell you- it is NOT turned on- Sprint doesn't use it and Clear will tell you- no customers are on it- and nobody in the City has service from it. You can't even get a Wimax device from Clear to locate the signal.

Which network? The protection sites built by Clear? The ones just in Ohio? Sprint does not show it on their coverage maps, but I can tell you that they can be connected to. I have done it in 4 protections sites across Maine (one for an extended period overnight at a hotel, pulling many gigs). Other sprint related forums from users across the country confirm this as well.

Clear will not allow customers located there to sign up for normal clear service either which is odd, but the protections sites were thrown up without much in the way of backhaul. Some are still connected by T1's for a 4G service but that is rare...oddly the FCC does not care simply because the spectrum is being used.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

TheRogueX

join:2003-03-26
Springfield, MO
reply to swintec
I really look forward to this. My 2 year contract on my Epic 4g (which I never got to use because WiMax was never turned on in my damn city) is up in November... I can hold on to it until LTE is activated here, then get a new handset and BAM.