houkouonchi
join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA

houkouonchi to Thinkdiff

to Thinkdiff

Re: Verizon upgrading FIOS tiers?

said by Thinkdiff:

said by nycfurby:

me too, i've been enjoyign the better ping on the 150mbps package. however with the 35/35 being boosted to 75/35 it makes the 150mbit package look slightly less appealing. but they havent said shit about it (- whats gonna happen to the 50/20 and the 150mbit packages). so im hoping verizon comes thru in a big way here

Why would the 150Mbit package have a better ping time than the other tiers? Or are you talking about MoCA vs Ethernet ping times?

Probably a combination of ethernet and GPON (if they werent on GPON before). I know latency to my colo'd server went from 6ms to 2.4ms going from BPON -> GPON and I was already on ethernet. Also latency on the 150mbit package is not affected as easily by bandwidth usage on the line.
nycfurby
join:2011-09-27

nycfurby

this is a fairly new install in a apartment building so I was on GPON from the get go. switched from coax to ethernet for even lower latency. then when the NY specific deals came on (for (135-140 for the 150mbit) reading some of houkounochis posts made me take the plunge. Not only is latency lower on the 150 mbit package it's a lot easier to keep low pings when you're using your connection. I actually stream a lot at 720p since I'm a gamer, at around 3-4mbit bitrate while playing games, family in the other room watching netflix and my ping time doesnt go any higher lol. This isn't necessarily the case on 35/35 though, when I do those things on the 35/35 i do notice some latency spikes which is why I upgraded.

The only things that annoy me are 1) websites cant handle the speed 2) other gamers have crap internet, so my great connection happens to not matter as much as it should. lol
McBane
join:2008-08-22
Wylie, TX

3 edits

McBane

What I would really like to know is if they expect to fulfill the 75/35 plan on the BPON architecture because that would be a recipe for disaster. 35/35 ontop of 50/25 already taxes the limits of BPON. It's rare but I used to live in a college apartment complex that was over saturated with FiOS and usually ended up getting the cable modem treatment all through 2008 to almost the end of 2009 when they fixed it. 75/35 would destroy the BPON architecture. 75Mbps down x 32 subscribers per splitter = 4200Mbps when BPON down for those same 32 subscribers is 622Mbps. That means, if just 8 of those 32 people leave torrents going all night or do a huge download, the network is going to hell for the other 24 people.

It's rare, but we've seen it come up on the forum time and time again where people are in overpopulated FiOS areas get the cable modem treatment on FiOS. It was pretty bad for awhile on the east coast when Verizon first put out their 150/35 plan and chopped the price in half for the NY/NJ people. 75/35 across the whole network might bring Verizon's backbone and the FiOS network itself to it's knees if they don't put the 75/35 people on GPON where there is plenty of bandwidth to support the plan, and of course a backbone that's capable of supporting the FiOS network.

So don't everyone be surprised when the QOS goes to hell for the next 6 months after they release these new plans, especially if they plan on releasing 75/35 on BPON. Even if they do put them on GPON it'll take them some time to build out the backbone to support it, just like what happened on the east coast with the half price 150/35 bundle plan when it hit the market last year.