how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ratpack

join:2008-06-17
Scarborough, ON

[Cable] Thomson DCM475 Firmware

I've had horrible disconnect problems for several months now; I get disconnected for a minute or two every couple of hours.
I originally assumed it was a router issue so went out and bought a new router, but the problem continued.
Now, after further reading more it looks like the modem is the problem.
I have the Thomson DCM475 but the firmware is the STAC.02.08

Status Code: Operational
Software Version: STAC.02.08
Software Model: a81a
Bootloader: 2.3.0

I've found a thread on here where a member says there is no way to upgrade the firmware without voiding the warranty.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,27094399?

Is this still the case?

I bought my modem about a year ago(?) from Canada Computers after my Teksavvy-supplied Surfboard died on me. I really don't want to spend another $99 + $10 shipping + $5 "account change" to buy yet another new modem.

Is there a way to upgrade this firmware at all? If I break the warranty then so be it; the warranty is useless to me anyway isn't it?

the cerberus

join:2007-10-16
Richmond Hill, ON

There is probably a way to flash the firmware yourself, but it is also probably against the TOS of teksavvy/rogers cable internet.
You are entering very dangerous territory, as modded firmware can be used to obtain service without paying.
For this reason only the cable company should be updating the firmware.

Chuckcar OTT

@teksavvy.com
reply to ratpack

Who cares about the warranty? So you just flash it back to the original firmware if it busts. I'd try many dfiferent firmwares but alas like every problem with cable internet the signal strength is always too low. Only Canada has this problem.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
kudos:1
reply to ratpack

If you raise enough stink at Teksavvy they might swap your modem for one with the STAC.02.16 firmware. One guy I know had disconnects driving him crazy for months and the modem swap finally sorted it out. I'm not sure if even Teksavvy can update these things or if they just have to eat the cost.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:20
reply to ratpack

said by ratpack:

I bought my modem about a year ago(?) from Canada Computers after my Teksavvy-supplied Surfboard died on me.

What happened to your surf board? Was it a SB6120? If it was D2 it isn't worth thinking about, but if it was D3 it might be worth a look into repairing it.
--
electronicsguru.ca/for_sale/Cablemodems

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to pnjunction

Teksavvy can't (ed: upgrade firmware).

I'm pretty sure they just use an SPI flash though, so a little hard work should be able to make it happen.

I wonder what Teksavvy does with the STAC.02.08 modems
--

lostgoat

join:2010-06-16
reply to ratpack

Post on the direct forum about this. I got some help from them there (they made me go through all the annoying troubleshooting first), and then they swapped out my modem.

After getting the 02.16 modem I've had no more problems. Neighbor also had this issue and it got fixed after modem swap also.

ratpack

Scarborough, ON

1 edit
reply to ratpack

Thanks, everybody, for your replies.

I don't expect Teksavvy will exchange since I didn't get this modem from them. The original surfboard has been thrown away.

It seems so ridiculous that a firmware upgrade can't more easily be done to correct this.

What is the "direct forum"? Is that the new one on Teksavvy's site?
Edit: nvm, I see the Direct tab now

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33
reply to Teddy Boom

We check what firmware is on modem. Ship them back to our Vendor & they upgrade them for us.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON

said by TSI Martin:

We check what firmware is on modem. Ship them back to our Vendor & they upgrade them for us.

That's interesting.. So, could you negotiate something so that other customers can get their modems upgraded?

I might be able to figure out how to upgrade them, but I need some modems to play with to find out
--

webfors

join:2006-10-03
Kanata, ON

I'm having this same issue. After discussing this with teksavvy support I decided to purchase a new modem last month (DCM476) for $110 thinking this would be the solution to my random/often disconnects/reboots. However the problem persists, so this is NOT a modem issue IMO.

Related modem log entries that appear when the modem reboots happen:

Time Priority Description
Time Not Established Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=80:c6:ab:7f...

The T3 time-out is the culprit. When the modem reboots the power levels on each of the 4 downstream channels jumps by 3+db, indicating an RF issue on the rogers coax.

I've been having this for months and slowly going nuts.

Spoke with William at teksavvy today and he agreed it was an RF issue and opened a ticket with Rogers. Fingers crossed.

Dissillusion

@teksavvy.com
reply to ratpack

I recently experienced this same issue when the St-Laurent POI here in Ottawa was upped to 8/2 channel bonding. Before the upgrade my DCM475 stac.2.08 was rock solid.

Recently swapped out the modem (still under warranty with Teksavvy being the supplier) to a stac.2.16 and haven't had a disconnect/reboot since. It has been about a week now without a single disconnect/reboot.

webfors

Kanata, ON

Give it a few more days and it will be back, unless Rogers has addressed the issue between you and your POI.

webfors

Kanata, ON

Got a call and I have a technician coming Tuesday.

ratpack

Scarborough, ON
reply to Teddy Boom

@TSI-Martin

said by Teddy Boom:

said by TSI Martin:

That's interesting.. So, could you negotiate something so that other customers can get their modems upgraded?

I might be able to figure out how to upgrade them, but I need some modems to play with to find out

But Teksavvy don't sell these models anymore, do they? TSI only sell DCM425 and DCM476. (at least, here in Ontario)
So when your vendor upgrades these DCM475 models for you, what do you do with them then? Can they not be passed back to your customers? I wouldn't mind being able to get a refurbished DCM475.

Or. to bump Teddy Boom's question, could something else be negotiated with the vendor?

These firmware issues are becoming epidemic.

Pharaoh11

join:2011-02-01
Toronto, ON
reply to ratpack

Sadly there are many who are stuck with with the modem that has 2.08 firmware.
It was on teksavvy approved list and for some time there teksavvy was low in modem stock so people bought elsewhere.

This of course is not something teksavvy planned and they had tested the modem on rogers network at the time.
They couldn't know a rogers upgrade would make the modem slightly incompatible.

But quite a few people are now stuck with the modem based on teksavvy recommendation.

Did teksavvy plan this no but it would be great for them to provide the firmware for users to flash at their own risk.

Sadly i doubt they have the final say on that happening as some modem makers aren't very good at making users happy.

webfors

Kanata, ON

TSI Martin contacted me directly after posting a PM and we worked out a few things.

First off the Rogers tech visit went well. The tech was thorough and very courteous. He ran a new wire from the outside of my house into the basement where the cable modem is and increased signal by a couple db. All measurements checked out and within range. He also escalated my ticket to his supervisor and said I should get a call today to discuss monitoring of my line.

Here's where it gets interesting... overnight the modem rebooted again with a bunch of sync/timeout/range errors. But this morning it's suddenly bonding 8 channels down and 2 up, double what it was last night (I'm on the fallowfield POI):

Software Version: STAC.02.31
Bootloader: 2.3.1

Cable Signal Details
Forward Path:
Channel Frequency Power SNR BER Modulation
1 639.0 MHz 5.6 dBmV 41.3 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
2 591.0 MHz 5.8 dBmV 41.3 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
3 597.0 MHz 5.9 dBmV 41.6 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
4 603.0 MHz 6.0 dBmV 41.3 dB 0.001 % 256 QAM
5 609.0 MHz 5.6 dBmV 41.3 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
6 615.0 MHz 5.5 dBmV 41.1 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
7 621.0 MHz 5.0 dBmV 40.8 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
8 633.0 MHz 5.2 dBmV 40.8 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
Return Path:
Channel ID Frequency Power Modulation
2 25.3 MHz 39.0 dBmV 16 QAM
1 31.3 MHz 40.5 dBmV 16 QAM
0 0.0 MHz 0.0 dBmV QPSK
0 0.0 MHz 0.0 dBmV QPSK
Data Service Details
Provisioned Address: Yes
Provisioned Time: Yes
Provisioned Configuration: Yes
BPI: Enabled

I have no idea what motivated this change. Anyone else on the fallowfield POI bonding double the channels now? I know we were all waiting for this since other POI's had gone active with 8/2.

Now on to Teksavvy. Martin offered to swap my DCM475 with stac 2.08 with a new DCM475 with the latest firmware.

So far my DCM476 is running well so far with stac 2.31, but I was informed that there may be an issue with this firmware as well. So time will tell on the DCM476. Once I get my DCM475 back with the latest firmware I'm going to swap it out if these reboots persist with the 476.

In the meantime I'm going to continue to push and update my ticket with Rogers if these reboots persist.

Step 1 complete. We'll see what the next step is in the next 24 hours.

WhaleOilBee
What a long strange trip it's been

join:2011-08-02
Manotick, ON
Reviews:
·Acanac

For the past week or so, I've been having a disconnection that lasts from around 10pm to 10am; almost like clockwork. A Rogers tech is coming on Friday to check it out. Since I might be away that morning, I asked my neighbour if he could be available to let the tech in my house. I explained my problem, and he said that he was experiencing the exact same issue with his Rogers connection; the tech is coming to his house after mine. The only difference between our symptoms is that at 10am his Motorola modem re-connects; my DCM475 STAC.02.08 doesn't. I have to unplug the modem and then plug it back in to get a connection. Since I'm at work all day, I have seen the disconnection last until 6pm when I get home and power cycle it. Basically I'm getting 4hrs/day out of my connection.

So, I would be reluctant to get an upgraded DCM475 02.16 unless that specific problem has been addressed. I'm not even sure that the DCM476 is the answer; didn't I read here somewhere that it skimps on receiver circuity to make it cheaper? This means the vendor makes more profit from selling it at the same price as the earlier model?

TSI doesn't sell the Motorolas, although it's on their approved list. I think if it turns out that I need a new modem, I'll get me a Moto!

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21

These Thomson modems suck if there are rebooting issues on two different firmwares..

TekSavvy should go back to Motorolas, now that there is a SB6421 that does 8x4 bonding...

webfors

Kanata, ON

This is not a modem issue as far as I know. Google the t3 timeout errors and users with every kind of modem on every provider in north america has reported them.

It's possible a firmware update could mitigate the sensitivity of these timeouts. I'm not sure, but to say it's a modem issue is inaccurate, or at best not determined yet.

webfors

Kanata, ON
reply to ratpack

Ok, just had another rebooted and booted me off... ARGGG, but here's a nice benefit from the reboot:

Software Version: STAC.02.31
Bootloader: 2.3.1

Cable Signal Details
Forward Path:
Channel Frequency Power SNR BER Modulation
1 639.0 MHz 5.2 dBmV 41.3 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
2 591.0 MHz 4.9 dBmV 41.3 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
3 597.0 MHz 5.2 dBmV 41.4 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
4 603.0 MHz 5.4 dBmV 41.4 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
5 609.0 MHz 5.2 dBmV 41.3 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
6 615.0 MHz 5.2 dBmV 41.4 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
7 621.0 MHz 4.7 dBmV 40.7 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
8 633.0 MHz 4.7 dBmV 41.0 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
Return Path:
Channel ID Frequency Power Modulation
2 25.3 MHz 40.3 dBmV 16 QAM
1 31.3 MHz 41.8 dBmV 16 QAM
3 22.1 MHz 40.3 dBmV 16 QAM
4 38.6 MHz 42.3 dBmV 16 QAM
Data Service Details
Provisioned Address: Yes
Provisioned Time: Yes
Provisioned Configuration: Yes
BPI: Enabled

Boom, 4 channels bonded upstream. I have no illusions that this has addressed the reboots. I'll know in a few hours. I'm giving these recent reboots a break, since something is definitely going on at the fallowfield POI.

milkk

join:2012-02-19
North York, ON
reply to ratpack

I have a DCM475 with STAC.02.08 from when we signed up with Teksavvy in June 2011. I usually get disconnected twice a day but nobody is usually home in the day when it happens so I only noticed it at night when it usually happens sometime between 9pm and 11pm. I was just happen I could have internet with unlimited bandwidth lol. I'm hope this week and noticed it happens 3 times a day every day. I see the DCM476 on sale for less than $90 online would it be better to just buy that or call Teksavvy support and get the one I have replaced with one with the updated firmware?

fahim

join:2011-02-08
canada

If your modem is still under warranty, why not give a firmware upgrade a try?

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

said by fahim:

If your modem is still under warranty, why not give a firmware upgrade a try?

Err... because it's not user upgradable? And even the OP found other unofficial ways to upgrade it would likely void the warranty. Cable modem firmware are meant to be updated by either the cable provider or the manufacturer/distributor.

webfors

Kanata, ON
reply to ratpack

FWIW; I've had no reboots for the past 3 days with the stac 2.16 on the DCM475. Definitely an improvement over 4-6 reboots per day.

WhaleOilBee
What a long strange trip it's been

join:2011-08-02
Manotick, ON
Reviews:
·Acanac

said by webfors:

FWIW; I've had no reboots for the past 3 days with the stac 2.16 on the DCM475. Definitely an improvement over 4-6 reboots per day.

So did you upgrade firmware STAC.02.08 to 02.16 on your DCM475, or did you get a replacement modem that came with 02.16 ?

Any evaluation of firmware performance should be done on a single hardware platform to rule out any possible hardware flaw.

slyboy

join:2012-06-22
Mississauga, ON

Teksavvy is sending me a DCM475 modem to replace the DCM476 modem I just bought from them. The 476 is running STAC 02.31

Am I going to run into the same power cycling issue I'm currently having with the 476 with the older model modem and whatever firmware it will come with? I'm questioning whether switching the cable modem is a good idea now.

webfors

Kanata, ON
reply to ratpack

They replaced my DCM476 with a DCM475 with stac 2.16. No reboots in 4 days now!

Apparently this reboot issue plagues some stac 2.08 on the DCM475 and the stac 2.31 on the DCM476.

I'm not calling success just yet. If it goes a couple of weeks without a reboot then I'll claim this modem swap worked.

Thomson/technicolor and Rogers really need to figure this out... it's been a real pain for a lot of customers.

Dissillusion

@berkshire.net
reply to slyboy

Just to add to the thread, I had a 475 with the stac2.08 firmware with multiple daily reboots. It was replaced through TSI (still under warranty) with a stac2.16 a few weeks ago and I haven't had a single reboot since.

webfors

Kanata, ON

That seems to be the feedback so far. Thomson/RCA/Technicolor/etc need to figure out what in the 2.08 and 2.31 firmware caused Rogers fits.

I'm on 5+ days of no reboots.