1 recommendation

PrntRhd to Nuckfuts

Premium Member

to Nuckfuts

Re: K&N Air Filter

said by Nuckfuts:

said by r81984:

said by Bruschi:

»www.dieselplace.com/foru ··· ?t=66536 You should post his follow up study that was done at the K&N factory. The results he got were very different than the ones in the graph.

The tests were valid. K&N just tests were not as real world as the test in that link. Also K&N results were not that different.
K&N still meets mfg minimum specs for cleaning air.

K&N definitely gives more airflow, but that means nothing with a stock engine. Unless you installed parts that you calculated needs more airflow it makes no sense to spend the extra money for a K&N filter. Your stock engine is designed to work with the stock filter.

From my understanding if a K&N gives more air flow than stock the car's computer is gonna compensate for more air by using more fuel? So you could actually get less mpg with a K&N?

Fluid dynamics do not always work that way, if you have less restriction you also have less pumping losses so it does not necessarily equal less gas mileage. Less restriction will allow more power but dirt will cause more engine wear...there are trade-offs for most engineering solutions.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Correct

In an engine you're just lowering the resistaance to air coming in, you're not pushing more in.

It can mean the total air that gets in is a little more but not alot more.

What messes it up is if you use a MAF housing that gives a larger diameter than stock thus messing up the calculations due to the MAF sensor data not being accurate any more.

The correction is to fix the formulas (basicly a co-efficient.

For instance on the 2005-2010 mustant GT, the C&L CAI comes with an insert that narrows the path but if you have a tunner (like the SCT X3) and someone that can make tune files then you can remove that insert.

On the 05-2010 mustang GT's and CAI that doesn't require a tune won't give you much if any power (ie the K&N CAI)
mob (banned)
On the next level..
join:2000-10-07
San Jose, CA

mob (banned)

Click for full size
said by DarkLogix:

...For instance on the 2005-2010 mustant GT, the C&L CAI comes with an insert that narrows the path but if you have a tuner (like the SCT X3) and someone that can make tune files then you can remove that insert.

On the 05-2010 mustang GT's and CAI that doesn't require a tune won't give you much if any power (ie the K&N CAI)

I saw 281 RWHP on a mostly stock (only had a K&N CAI and Flowmaster axle backs) 2007 GT.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· j9LaPLi8

Then...

»www.americanmuscle.com/c ··· 9gt.html

Navigate to that page and click on the video. Even with a tune and "racer" CAI my car somehow put more power down.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by mob:

said by DarkLogix:

...For instance on the 2005-2010 mustant GT, the C&L CAI comes with an insert that narrows the path but if you have a tuner (like the SCT X3) and someone that can make tune files then you can remove that insert.

I saw 281 RWHP on a mostly stock (only had a K&N CAI and Flowmaster axle backs) 2007 GT.

(youtube clip)
to that page and click on the video. Even with a tune and "racer" CAI my car somehow put more power down.

To properly compare mods you need to test them on the same dyno, same area, and same weather.

Are you sure that that 281 isn't crank corrected? and the americanmuscle isn't RWHP?

the insert is removed on the street and race model of the C&L when you plan to put a tune on and the race one really isn't much over the street.