join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

1 edit

hortnut to Melissa2009B

to Melissa2009B

Re: [Speed] May have to switch to Comcast

Click for full size
Rear View of 614
My Wireless Device is a combination 4 port Router and Wireless Access Point.

It is an ancient Netgear WGR614v9 [b/g], bought it new for under $40 in 2008. It still does all I want, otherwise I would replace it with one, that others are mentioning.

Currently I am in a 1700 sq ft Condo and I have coverage throughout, including outside without problem.

In the past, I have had it setup on a lower floor of a two story 3000 sq ft farmhouse at one time. Bedrooms were upstairs where the laptops were.

»www.speedtest.net/ and others consistently give 12/3+ in d/l speeds or whatever package I am signed up with. I do not take a speed hit with this unit.

Here is the kicker - in the summer months I travel and stay with friends and relatives. I bring it with me. All I need is an open port on their router or switch and a place to plug into 120v. Once that is done, I am connected. I do not have to worry about setup with friends/relative's AP protocols, SSID or Security. Just an open port with RJ45 and a patch cable.

Reading your posts, over the last couple of days, me thinks you are over thinking your setup.

Edit: Once I upgrade my ancient 6 year old, Latitude D610, I will update my Router/Wireless Access Point to that of a dual band that includes b/g/n and any other emerging technology.
Melissa2009B
join:2009-12-27
Denver, CO

Melissa2009B

The interchanges from everyone here, plus me being an old electronics tech, got me doing that.

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

hortnut

Whoops!

Double Post, sorry.
hortnut

hortnut to Melissa2009B

to Melissa2009B
said by Melissa2009B:

The interchanges from everyone here, plus me being an old electronics tech, got me doing that.

And we all like to help!

Due to my current station in life over the last several years and moving a couple of times.

My only need from Comcast was to supply a coax cable to the room I was renting. [majority of time it was already there] From that I hooked up their Modem, went through their self install process with my laptop hooked directly to their Modem.

Once setup, I plugged in my Router/Wireless AP and was set to go.

I like KISS.

I used my Cell for my main phone and Skype and Google Voice for all else. Though I did not have to use a setup as you describe for your business.
mrschultz02
join:2007-09-10
Wallingford, PA
Asus RT-AC88

mrschultz02 to Melissa2009B

to Melissa2009B
said by Melissa2009B:

CONCLUSION: DO NOT, REPEAT NOT DEAL WITH THEIR LOCAL OFFICE, ONLY ORDER ONLINE!!!

That's just the way it is for a lot of stuff now, especially with these gigantic corporations. Many promotions and the best deals you can only get online.

The 20Mbps download / 4Mbps upload speeds listed are for powerboost that kicks in for the first 20MB. For large files and streaming it will probably be 16 down / 2 up sustained speeds. That's still enough to stream 2 HD movies simultaneously and have some extra for web surfing, an HD Netflix stream only runs about 5-6Mbps. Even for the best Vudu HDX 1080 streams 9Mbps is what you need.
Melissa2009B
Denver, CO

Melissa2009B

I've decided to sign up only for the HSI now, as it's without a contract. That's a nice bundle they offer with voice, but it's with contract too. Oh well. Keep CenturyLink for voice.

BUT for the future, I'm thinking I might could get the TM 722G modem and have EMTA capability for the future. Or a Zoom 5341J?

And then add the wireless router.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

That's a good plan and it's easy to upgrade as needed.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2 to Melissa2009B

MVM

to Melissa2009B
said by Melissa2009B:

I've decided to sign up only for the HSI now, as it's without a contract. That's a nice bundle they offer with voice, but it's with contract too. Oh well. Keep CenturyLink for voice.

BUT for the future, I'm thinking I might could get the TM 722G modem and have EMTA capability for the future. Or a Zoom 5341J?

You need wireless right away for your Roku and such, yes?

It makes no sense to get their wireless gateway - you wil not get good range on it - check out the Comcast forums on router issues...

If you want to rent their modem...ok, but you still need a router.

If you think that you may go Comcast voice in the near future, I'd stick with renting the modem, otherwise buy your own.

BTW, I recently got Comcast internet and voice at the performance tier (20Mbps down/4Mbps up with speedboost) and am not on a contract. (plenty of speed for multiple users & Roku/Netflix)

Earlier advice about getting any used modems is incorrect! You simply do not know if what you are getting will be provisioned by Comcast or not! Many of the used modems out there are stolen, there is no assurance that you can receive that ensures the modem will be useable. No one is going to tell you that they are selling a stolen modem after all...

As far as eMTAs, unless Comcast has re-set their eMTA policy, no, you can not just buy an eMTA any old place and expect Comcast to provision it...regular cable modems of course are much less stringent. They have to be from their "approved list" not for any nefarious reason, but they have to be specifically programmed for. Yes, Comcast reps sometimes are all over the place when asking them these questions, so beware.

Refurb routers? Pay your money and take your chances, but they were "refurbed" for a reason...they absolutely do not "replace the insides"...they would throw them away first! A refurbed router is essentially checked for proper firmware flash, tested briefly, prettied up, and put in a new box. No manufacturer actually repairs routers, there is no money in it. Sometimes you luck out and it was just a bad power brick, and often it was just user-error that was the problem...but otherwise refurb routers are in precisely the same condition as when they were returned.

They may be "ok", but they are not "good as new". Your router is the distribution point for all your on line data throughout your house, it usually is on 24/7/365...for that, I would want more than "ok".

PS - Your conversation with Chris sounds good. The prices and set-up described is spot on, and he sounds knowledgeable. I have found that not all Comcast reps are equally aware of their own products and policies
Melissa2009B
Denver, CO

Melissa2009B

said by PeteC2:

said by Melissa2009B:

You need wireless right away for your Roku and such, yes?

Yes.

It makes no sense to get their wireless gateway - you will not get good range on it - check out the Comcast forums on router issues...

I understood that before, and would rather follow the advice here and get a modem and router and not have to rent.

If you want to rent their modem...ok, but you still need a router.

I mentioned that I found on Amazon.com, the NetGear WNR3500L-100NAS Rangemax Wireless-N Gigabit Router, which they say has a 500 foot range, for $33.

If you think that you may go Comcast voice in the near future, I'd stick with renting the modem, otherwise buy your own.

It doesn't look promising. They won't give any breaks on bundling, unless we do a 2 year contract, and we don't want contracts right now, because as I mentioned, we're expecting a global economic collapse at any time now.

BTW, I recently got Comcast internet and voice at the performance tier (20Mbps down/4Mbps up with speedboost) and am not on a contract. (plenty of speed for multiple users & Roku/Netflix)

How did you get them to do it without contract, unless you paid a bunch more? I mean, I could pay full price and have no contract on both of them, but it would be $120 a month, which is $30 more than CenturyLink's DSL and land line.

Earlier advice about getting any used modems is incorrect! You simply do not know if what you are getting will be provisioned by Comcast or not! Many of the used modems out there are stolen, there is no assurance that you can receive that ensures the modem will be useable. No one is going to tell you that they are selling a stolen modem after all...

Agreed.

As far as eMTAs, unless Comcast has re-set their eMTA policy, no, you can not just buy an eMTA any old place and expect Comcast to provision it...

They tell me I can. I talked to them about the TM 722G. As long as it's on their list and unlocked, they said fine. This is where I'm afraid of traps with them. They're a big corp and obviously the right hand doesn't even know what the left is doing, so they could very well tell me OK on this, and then not allow it, in which case I'd be furious at them. ( not that they would care )

regular cable modems of course are much less stringent. They have to be from their "approved list" not for any nefarious reason, but they have to be specifically programmed for. Yes, Comcast reps sometimes are all over the place when asking them these questions, so beware.

The TM 722G is on their list and the claim it's supported.

Refurb routers? Pay your money and take your chances, but they were "refurbed" for a reason...they absolutely do not "replace the insides"...they would throw them away first! A refurbed router is essentially checked for proper firmware flash, tested briefly, prettied up, and put in a new box. No manufacturer actually repairs routers, there is no money in it. Sometimes you luck out and it was just a bad power brick, and often it was just user-error that was the problem...but otherwise refurb routers are in precisely the same condition as when they were returned.

Hmm.

Well have a look, read the reviews:

»www.amazon.com/NetGear-W ··· 6DYQXVYN

They may be "ok", but they are not "good as new". Your router is the distribution point for all your on line data throughout your house, it usually is on 24/7/365...for that, I would want more than "ok".

Hmmm...

PS - Your conversation with Chris sounds good. The prices and set-up described is spot on, and he sounds knowledgeable. I have found that not all Comcast reps are equally aware of their own products and policies

Yeah well, and he even speaks english.