join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer to hws_home

Premium Member

to hws_home

Re: [Services] AT&T Kills DSL and tries to switch to me to U-Ver

Mostly, but there are changes in technology. "DSL" is an old ATM based ADSL1 network. It's been around for over a decade now. "Uverse" (aka IPDSLAM) is a new PTM (ethernet) based ADSL2+ network. There's no more PPPoE (or PPPoA) and it's overhead and related headaches. Plus, ADSL2+ allows for greater speeds (sold 12 (18?) vs. 6; technology max. 24 vs. 8)

The main drawback, as I've already said, is the lack of choice in router. You have no other option than to buy or rent one of ATT's buggy, crippled routers. They are the only source of information, software, and support for these devices.
alittle158
join:2004-03-01

alittle158

said by cramer:

The main drawback, as I've already said, is the lack of choice in router. You have no other option than to buy or rent one of ATT's buggy, crippled routers. They are the only source of information, software, and support for these devices.

Their router isn't the best, but it's still pretty solid. Don't like it? Use your own and put it in the DMZ.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer

Premium Member

That's still forcing me to use their buggy pile of crap. Go read any of the hundreds of threads (here, att forums, and all over the internet) from people using the NVG510, especially with it's "DMZ" (ip passthru) mode. It might be a decent device straight from "motopia", att's crippling of the software has created many problems.