Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

FixManTx
Premium
join:2005-02-06
Minneapolis, MN

[Equipment] Minor problem on the LG Enlighten

Back in January I left Sprint after nearly 11 years and went to Verizon, and due to financial issues had to go with a "free" phone which meant the LG Enlighten VS700. Despite the LG being similar to the Samsung Moment in terms of processor, camera MP etc the LG runs circles around the Samsung PoS. One thing I didn't notice right off is that the LG's clock is 15 seconds fast. I know, who cares, right? I do. Every phone I've ever had (including the crappy Samsung phones) has always been to-the-second accurate until I got the Enlighten. I've been to a couple of Verizon stores recently and checked, and the other Enlighten phones are off by exactly the same amount, but the other LG models are spot on as are the Motorola, Samsung (ugh), HTC etc.
I found an Android app called ClockSync that shows the exact offset plus gives the exact correct time, but I have to open it to see the exact seconds if I'm timing something or setting another clock. Other than rooting my phone there is no way to sync the internal clock, as far as I can see. Any ideas out there as to why, and how to fix?

Priteshp52

join:2004-02-14
Newtown, PA

I looked into the issue with the LG Enlighten, and I found this (after talking with a contact who is knowledgeable about the phone):

A quick check of the internet says that GPS is now ahead of UTC by 15 seconds.

»www.leapsecond.com/java/gpsclock.htm

Since the CDMA is clocked off of GPS, it is safe to assume it clocked off of GSP. And most likely will not change.

Local time is the date/time reported by your PC (as seen by your web browser). If your PC clock is accurate to a second then the other time scales displayed above will also be accurate to within one second.
UTC, Coordinated Universal Time, popularly known as GMT (Greenwich Mean Time), or Zulu time. Local time differs from UTC by the number of hours of your timezone.
GPS, Global Positioning System time, is the atomic time scale implemented by the atomic clocks in the GPS ground control stations and the GPS satellites themselves. GPS time was zero at 0h 6-Jan-1980 and since it is not perturbed by leap seconds GPS is now ahead of UTC by 15 seconds.
Loran-C, Long Range Navigation time, is an atomic time scale implemented by the atomic clocks in Loran-C chain transmitter sites. Loran time was zero at 0h 1-Jan-1958 and since it is not perturbed by leap seconds it is now ahead of UTC by 24 seconds.
TAI, Temps Atomique International, is the international atomic time scale based on a continuous counting of the SI second. TAI is currently ahead of UTC by 34 seconds.

So the answer is the time depends on the clock.

As Chicago once said “Does any one know time it is?”

The answer is ‘it depends’.

Priteshp52

join:2004-02-14
Newtown, PA
reply to FixManTx

I also tested this on my Droid Bionic with the clocksync app, and it also has a 15 second differential.

Pritesh

FixManTx
Premium
join:2005-02-06
Minneapolis, MN
reply to FixManTx

So I'm not sure what that means to me. All phones' time is set by the network they're connected to, which means all Verizon phones should match to the second, but apparently a couple of models are off by a certain amount. Hopefully once I have a job I can get a better phone, but until then now that I know about the variation and have the synch app I can make do.