« paranoidfacebook »
page: 1 · 2 · next

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

Homeland Security words to avoid

"The Department of Homeland Security has been forced to release a list of keywords and phrases it uses to monitor social networking sites and online media for signs of terrorist or other threats against the U.S......The list has been posted online by the Electronic Privacy Information Center - a privacy watchdog group who filed a request under the Freedom of Information Act before suing to obtain the release of the documents. In a letter to the House Homeland Security Subcommittee on Counter-terrorism and Intelligence, the centre described the choice
of words as 'broad, vague and ambiguous'.....They point out that it includes 'vast amounts of First Amendment protected speech that is entirely unrelated to the Department of Homeland Security mission to protect the public against terrorism and disasters.'

A senior Homeland Security official told the Huffington Post that the manual 'is a starting point, not the endgame' in maintaining situational awareness of natural and man-made threats and denied
that the government was monitoring signs of dissent. However the agency admitted that the language used was vague and in need of updating".

Keywords include:

malware
exercise
prevention
San Diego
virus
trojan
social media
target
extremism
fundamentals
pork
incident
cloud
home grown

»www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ··· d_module
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:13

1 recommendation

Some of those words are insane!!!!!!

PORK???????

Hehehe,sometimes we have pork for dinner!!

ashrc4
Premium
join:2009-02-06
australia
reply to Mele20

Re: Homeland Security words to avoid

said by Mele20:

"The Department of Homeland Security has been forced to release a list of keywords and phrases it uses to monitor social networking sites and online media for signs of terrorist or other threats against the U.S

Does the request ask that all the keywords be listed...I see a lot of words that various organizations use not listed.
Does the "ask" mean E-mail scanned words.
I don't believe they were forced or revealed all the keywords for that article under the freedom of information act.
Why would they release every keyword search list, to be avoided.
They probably go further by now and search for more or less dependent on location, religion and words.
--
Paradigm Shift beta test pilot. "Now is the not right time to stop folding."

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20
quote:
Agency insists it only looks for evidence of genuine threats to the U.S. and not for signs of general dissent
Color me skeptical. Keywords like those are likely to pinpoint grannies in Iowa for pity's sake.

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
kudos:1

5 recommendations

reply to Mele20
If we can get a complete list, people can start using the new e-mail signature I devised. I appended my own list of words people with their politics should look for to give them a hand.

-malware exercise prevention San Diego virus trojan social media target extremism fundamentals pork incident cloud home grown freedom democracy Jefferson Adams Paul Revere Lexington Concord Bunker Hill Thomas Paine Common Sense Sons of Liberty

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA
reply to Mele20

Xcellent,lets all start using it!

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire
reply to Mele20

Not shown but on the list
ie6
win98
bicycle pump

Cudni

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:3

2 recommendations

reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Keywords include:

malware
virus
trojan
social media
target

I guess, since this is a Security forum and those words are used frequently here, we're all on the DHS watchlist and can expect extra special treatment by the TSA.

They point out that it includes 'vast amounts of First Amendment protected speech that is entirely unrelated to the Department of Homeland Security mission to protect the public against terrorism and disasters.'

The what? Wasn't that rescinded?
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 edit

5 recommendations

reply to Mele20
I was recently in San Diego getting some exercise by chasing a cloud when I got hungry and stopped for some home grown pork. However I got involved in an incident where I was the target of a virus, Clearly my fundamentals of malware prevention that I read on social media were flawed. In the end I got a trojan. I might have to engage in extremism to prevent further infections.

There, that should do it.
--

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

1 recommendation

Oooh...you've gone and done it for sure! If Homeland Security wasn't already reading this forum, and watching all of us, they certainly are now!
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
reply to Mele20
his name is StuartMW, I repeat S, t, u, a, r, t, M,W, He is a small boy that wears a blue hat and lives in a trailer with his grandmother in Galts Garch Argentina. He has pet llamas.

jvmorris
I Am The Man Who Was Not There.
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-03
Reston, VA

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20
No, it's okay. He misspelled the word 'were'. That indicates that the message text was taken from an NSA tutorial used for training purposes.

Still, I'd hate to be one of the six trainees that got that version.
--
Regards,
Joseph V. Morris

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20

Mission Accomplished
Sorry for the collateral damage but

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to Anav
said by Anav:

He has pet llamas.

We eat Llama's here
--

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14

1 edit
reply to Mele20
The list of words to be monitored starts on page 20 of this document: »www.scribd.com/doc/82701103/Anal ··· REDACTED

Here is the file in pdf format. The link downloads it so I've broken it:
ht tp://epic.org/foia/epic-v-dhs-media-monitoring/Analyst-Desktop-Binder-REDACTED.pdf

Here is the document in .txt format: »pastebin.com/kkbHjaiJ

--
Bohemian Rhapsody

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA

Thank you buddy!

Quite stupid isnt it???? Lets all set our signatures to these words!! (That or type them in constantly on PUBLIC BASES (Like this))

Whadda say bud??

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 edit

1 recommendation

Well that should give the DHS/TSA/FBI/CIA/NSA computers something to do

Its lucky they have computers as I'm sure they can't read. Clearly they haven't read (or understood if they managed it) The Constitution.

I don't need to be kept safe from terrorists. I need to be kept safe from these retards.
--

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
fishing
The spelling errors in their list are funny.

"lightening"
--
Bohemian Rhapsody

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
Can't spell either huh? Guess that goes along with being unable to read
--

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
fishing

1 recommendation

reply to fatness
I'll try uploading the list as a text file.

downloadlist.txt 6483 bytes

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
said by fatness:

I'll try uploading the list as a text file.

Thanks.

quote:
As natural or manmade disasters occur, new search terms may be added.

--

amz101

@cox.net
reply to fatness
"lightening" may not be the word of which you're thinking, but I can assure you that it is a proper word spelled as shown. As for why the DHS/TSA needs to monitor its use..........

examples from dictionary.com:

The goal is to increase the chances that students will succeed, and for the majority of them that means lightening the load.

The air felt balmy and fresh, nothing but dark blue calm sea and lightening (growing brighter) sky.

Over-the-counter creams are available for lightening the skin.

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
fishing
I'm aware of that, thanks. Within the context that DHS is using it in that list ("Weather"), it's just spelled wrong.
--
Bohemian Rhapsody

DownTheShore
RIP tmpchaos
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to Mele20

Whenever a certain friend of mine and I have a conversation over the phone, and we realize that we have probably used one of the hot-button terms for HS monitoring, we always make sure we politely say "hello" to any agencies that might be reviewing the call and wish them a pleasant day.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to fatness

Those searches require tax money

I don't care much about the list of words, but rather about the impressive list of "security" departments in the US (listed in the document). They all require funds (including for meaningless searches for those words). No wonder that every year the government becomes close to bankrupt and asks for additional funding for them. And that is not a fun...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to Mele20

well its from the Dailymail so trust of it is slim. but...

Some strange malware got onto my computer while I went out to exercise because its good for prevention of heart attacks especially when you only buy Pork from the Target in San Diego. Cooking fundamentals show that home grown fruits are best, but a garden might cause an incident with the HOA who will bring about their extremism in a nastygram by morning. Some members might even go to the cloud to defame your idea on social networking sites. However one can fight back with either a trojan or a virus.

The Above was not meant to make any sense period other than to use every word in that watch list.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20
And our DHS proscribed threat vocabulary just keeps on growing...

pork = terrorist dietary term
exercise = terrorist physical activity
cloud = terrorist meteorological term
home grown = terrorist organic gardening term
fundamentals = terrorist educational term ("It's time we get back to fundamentals. Gentlemen, this is a bomb...")

--
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!" -- P.Henry, 1775

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20
OMG! Hear no evil, see no evil, and for heaven's sake, speak no evil...

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 recommendation

reply to fatness

Re:  

said by fatness:

The spelling errors in their list are funny.

"lightening"

Maybe, just maybe, bad spellings were included because that is a mistake people they want to monitor regularly make.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to jaykaykay

said by jaykaykay:

...and for heaven's sake, speak no evil...

Well you don't have to say (or type) anything to get DHS attention.

85 Things that Might Get You on a DHS Terrorist Watch List

quote:
72) Balk at providing “complete personal information.”

Uh oh!
--