uniqs

bemis
Premium Member
join:2008-07-18
united state

bemis

Premium Member

[MA] Worked at Stop & Shop?

Wondering if anyone here has worked at Stop & Shop and could tell me what it's like to be a part-timer?

Mostly I'm interested in how their schedules are, I tried talking to a asst. manager at a store outside the area I was considering and he gave me the "fill out an app online" schpeal, so I didn't really learn if it would work for me or not.

My concern is that I'd love to work weekends, like a Sunday, but I know they are union and Sunday's are time and a half. When I used to work at Bradlees 15 years ago as a part-timer (same union) it was tough to get hours on a Sunday, I'd always end up working four 4-hour weeknight shifts and a 4-hour in the middle of a Saturday... so it burned you out weekdays and killed your Saturday with a mid-day 10AM-2PM shift covering other people's lunches...
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

I remember years ago I worked the early morning stock crew at Caldor's. It was REALLY freaky to show up to work at 1:30ish in the morning and only the security lights were on... no music... nobody else around but the skeleton crew that unloaded the truck.

I was only there for a month or two, but it was a weird working environment.

bemis
Premium Member
join:2008-07-18
united state

bemis

Premium Member

said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

I remember years ago I worked the early morning stock crew at Caldor's. It was REALLY freaky to show up to work at 1:30ish in the morning and only the security lights were on... no music... nobody else around but the skeleton crew that unloaded the truck.

I was only there for a month or two, but it was a weird working environment.

I "volunteered" for that shift a few times when someone was out on disability... I have to say, the only thing freakier than being in the "dead" store were the co-workers! They were like true mole people, you could tell they hardly ever were outside in the light... at least the crew that our store had...

There was this one guy tho... he drove a flawless '73 Buick Riviera with the boat-tail and a 454... the guy was a pasty white stoner in his early 30s at the time... but to the high school me he was a god with that car... lol...

capecoddah
join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA

capecoddah to bemis

to bemis
Don't work where you (Stop &) Shop.

I applied to the next-nearest S&S and they wanted me to work all the 4 locales. I just wanted to put stuff away at night during the winter but that was too hard a concept for them to grab.
The manager at the closest store where I go still thinks I'm an OK guy for asking about "Employment Opportunities" but still won't stock Zaterain's Gumbo.
Live and learn.

Seriously, don't work where you shop.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman to bemis

to bemis
My wife agrees with the "Don't work where you xxxxx" philosophy. She's a teacher but drives a few towns away to work by choice. The only real difference is from a 6-8 minute commute to a 8-12 minute commute. I say it falls into the "Don't mix business with pleasure" category myself. You never know what will happen and if anything bad happens you could be stuck dealing with it for years after you leave if you mix business and pleasure.