spc
uniqs
bimmerdriver
join:2010-12-10
Coquitlam, BC

bimmerdriver to tofusl

to tofusl

Re: [BC] Best Modem for High Speed Turbo 25

If you go to the Zyxel website, you can download a "support note" for the VSG1432 which says the unit supports bridge mode. However, there is no way to know if the unit Telus supplies has crippled firmware or not.

Since Telus supports the Zyxel VSG1432, I wonder if the Zyxel P870H-51a v2 would also be compatible. If so, you could potentially hang the Actiontec off one port (using the WAN interface) and another router for PCs off another port. This unit also supports bridge mode, according to the support note. This would be like an ALU only you would not require a switch.

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War
join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB

XT0RT

said by bimmerdriver:

If you go to the Zyxel website, you can download a "support note" for the VSG1432 which says the unit supports bridge mode. However, there is no way to know if the unit Telus supplies has crippled firmware or not.

Since Telus supports the Zyxel VSG1432, I wonder if the Zyxel P870H-51a v2 would also be compatible. If so, you could potentially hang the Actiontec off one port (using the WAN interface) and another router for PCs off another port. This unit also supports bridge mode, according to the support note. This would be like an ALU only you would not require a switch.

Have fun finding the P870H in Canada. There was only one place that was selling it, and it was a V1 model, not the V2.

StarBuck4
join:2011-01-16
Beverly Hills, CA

StarBuck4

mmmhh took 10sec to locate a v2 in Canada ( $120) free shipping. Of course it's firmware hasn't been updated since early 2011. It does support SRA and PHyR , but I've no idea what rev the broadcom driver is etc... There's no way it would support bonding, G.INP etc and it's highly unlikely there will ever be updates as it's listed as legacy ( Zyxel website) too bad, as the FritZ! 7390 and Draytek 2750 ( both of which are updated) are roughly 300$.)
StarBuck4

StarBuck4 to bimmerdriver

to bimmerdriver
Well I can confirm that the P870H-51a V2 works very well. Updated the firmware, enabled PHyR ( Through CLI ) it was off by default , into bridge mode and poof.
Nice and simple. Next up will be experimenting with upstream QoS

My request for the GPL source code so I can update PHY is still pending. I don't expect it to go too far as Zyxel are not very friendly when it comes to sharing.
tofusl
join:2009-04-08

1 edit

tofusl

Just to report back... some fabulous Telus Tech (who hangs out on this board) took pity on me and sent me an ALU.

Using a linux box connected to the outside (it's faster than going through my router w/ QOS):

Ping: 22 ms
Download: 25.29 Mbps
Upload: 2.58 Mbps

So at the very least the ALU can run the posted speeds.

I also have an Actiontec V1000h which I switched into bridge mode after entering the root password. (Found out that you can get it out of bridge mode by plugging a connected cable to the WAN port.)

But at the time, central had problems w/ my setup and hadn't fully switched it to 25 Mbps. When I finally got a 2nd (or 3rd) tier tech on the phone, I had my ALU plugged in so that's what it's running now for the last 4 days.

If I get bored one day, I'll plug in the Actiontec and see what speeds I get (and run it for a day to test stability).

pfak
Premium Member
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

1 edit

pfak

Premium Member

The ALU is an awesome modem, especially with the Actiontec PhyR!